Author Topic: GMB Pub Division  (Read 4227 times)  Share 

Offline Hayley Brennan GMB Pubs

• View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
GMB Pub Division
« on: Jun 3 - 2010 »
The GMB Trade Union Pub branch is looking to apply for workplace recognition within Sam Smiths to prevent the continued appalling treatment of the Pub Managers at the hands of the Brewery Managers.
We have successfully represented our Sam Smiths Pub Manager members across the UK in a range of disputes with the company - and while we continue to do so, we ultimatley want to stop the company in it's tracks and prevent these continued abuses from occuring in the first place.

We can do this by gaining Workplace Recognition.

You all have the right to join an independent trade union to speak on your collective behalf in the workplace and enforce your employment rights with the company. We can not and will not be bullied by your company!

All you need to do for us to defend your rights, and prevent the continued Dickension abuses your employer subjects you to daily, is become a member of the GMB Pub P40 branch. The second 51% of Samual Smith's Pub Managers join, we will apply to the company for workplace recognition - if they refuse we apply to the courts, either way we will achieve workplace recognition and defend your rights whether the company likes it or not.

The sooner you join, the sooner things can be changed.

Unity is Strength.

Hayley Brennan
GMB Pubs P40 Branch

Hayley.Brennan@gmb.org.uk
07850 919933

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
Re: GMB Pub Division
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3 - 2010 »
Hi there Hayley,

Thank you for your post.  It will be comforting for the SS pub managers to know that they have a union and a union rep willing to support them.

Unfortunately, not all managers will be on this forum.  However, I have compiled a list of all of the Sam Smiths pubs that are known to me and the members of this forum.  I currently have 288 pubs listed.  If you like, I can email it to you and you could write to the managers.

Let me know.

DB.

Offline Max

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 3 - 2010 »
Hello Hayley,

Welcome to this facility, and thank you in anticipation for your support of the breweries employees.

May I make a suggestion. Should you take up DB's idea of contacting all managers by post (which by the way, I think is an excellent idea) - then you might want to consider mentioning this website. The reason being, that those isolated Managers, who although possibly having the same problems as others, may be unaware that they are not alone. Such individuals may currently fear having support from an organisation such as yours, for fear that if they are on their own and stand their ground in any way, may be immediately reprimanded, or victimized by the brewery - and specifically Humphrey Smith.

Such individuals who have not seen this site (as is the will of the brewery, by allegedly making false claims about this site) would probably feel more assured that they are indeed are not alone, and therefore feel further encouraged to 'join ranks' whilst joining the GMB for the good of everyone.

What do you think?

I have been told by at least two individuals, that Humphrey has been warning new managers to stay clear from this website, and insinuating that our content is false and liableness! The words 'kettle' and 'black' come to mind. Oh how Humphs loves his 'divide and conquer' regime.

Hayley, I wish you all the very best with recruiting Sam Smiths employees, and fully endorse the idea - for the shared good of all, and ultimately the brewery itself - for without loyal staff and customers, it is a business on a collision course with disaster.
« Last Edit: Jun 3 - 2010 by Max »
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

local

• Non-Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 4 - 2010 »
could i also suggest onething?as a confused member of said union who seem to like kickingup a stink yet get no results,i feel?11.00 a month is a sheer waste of dosh,

local

• Non-Member
« Reply #4 on: Jun 4 - 2010 »
this isthe union that was beaten lately in court was it not? ive heard unite do more fighting for managers of tiedtrade pubs

Offline bigjim

• View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #5 on: Jun 4 - 2010 »
As a sad observer of this sorry saga, I feel local has a point - obviously any union that manages to get workplace recognition would be a good thing in trying to counter all these well documented bullying tactics by SSOB management, but I really do feel the GMB union will have to at least make some comment concerning the recently overturned Sheffield case. There are going to be many worried and confused staff who will need reassuring that union membership can actually achieve something when taking on such a litigious company with unlimited legal resources. What happened to Mike Williamson?   

Offline Max

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 4 - 2010 »
Bigjim - a very good and valid post which I totally agree with, as I do with the points raised by local .
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

local

• Non-Member
« Reply #7 on: Jun 4 - 2010 »
thanks guys,i was starting to feel i was ranting on, but they did get sacked for refusing to except an order from the gaffer,its tough at the moment my staff hours were slashed alot 3weeks after moving in,and its a busy pub,but we manage, just got to make sure you get a day off!! and think of your holidays!! and keep smiling!!!! simples :D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 4 - 2010 »
this isthe union that was beaten lately in court was it not? ive heard unite do more fighting for managers of tiedtrade pubs

'local': actually no it wasn't us it was Unite who recently lost a Samuel Smith's case in court, and therefore it would be highly unprofessional of me to comment on a case that was not conducted by the GMB.

I can however assure you that there is no other Union fighting harder for the tied trade than the GMB. We have exposed the outrageous abuses suffered in this industry and made it a mainstream media campaign, securing cross party political backing for regulation & legislation whilst engaging the support of customers, consumers and investors alike.

We fight the Pubcos and Breweries in Courts, the National Press, the EU and in Westminster daily. The tied trade workers are amongst the most exploited group of workers in the UK today - and this is something that we will change.

The GMB are taking this issue so seriously they have employed me specifically to acheive the many changes this industry so desperately needs. I know the changes that are needed and I know how we can acheive them to make your workplaces  better. I also know the great benefits GMB membership can bring to the tied trade and I know this industry inside out and back to front - because I'm a tied tenant myself.....and I'm here to help.

Mike Williamson and I will work closely together to obtain Workplace Recognition and ensure the rights of Samuel Smith's Managers are protected.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 4 - 2010 »
Hi there Hayley,

Thank you for your post.  It will be comforting for the SS pub managers to know that they have a union and a union rep willing to support them.

Unfortunately, not all managers will be on this forum.  However, I have compiled a list of all of the Sam Smiths pubs that are known to me and the members of this forum.  I currently have 288 pubs listed.  If you like, I can email it to you and you could write to the managers.

Let me know.

DB.

Thankyou for your welcomes!
Darkieboy - fantastic idea to write to them all and the list would be greatly appreciated, please email it to me at Hayley.Brennan@gmb.org.uk and I'll write to everyone of them.
Max - it will be my pleasure to include the details of this website in my letter to the Managers, I personally know how much comfort there is from the support of others in the same situation .....and the relief felt at knowing you are not on your own!

Offline Mike D Williamson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17 - 2010 »
Mike Williamson is alive kicking & representing members. I have constant problems login in reregistering each time thats why I haven't responded to my site till tonight. We have another Manager join this wk. Can't understand why all the managers havn't joined? can't be that tight for ?2.55 a wk.
Mike