Author Topic: Is Humphrey Smith the richest man in Yorkshire?  (Read 8617 times)  Share 

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
So the question is:

"Is Humphrey Smith the richest man in Yorkshire?"

8)

DB.

Offline bigjim

• View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Is Humphrey Smith the richest man in Yorkshire?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30 - 2010 »
Well when the latest Sunday Times Rich List was published in April I suggested Humphrey Smith and family were worth at least ?750 million which would make him/them about 80th in the entire country and equal to the Vestey Family - also inherited wealth from meat and shipping - (remember Dewhirst butchers).

Offline Tadfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30 - 2010 »
Isn't the richest man in Yorkshire Ken Morrison, former owner of Morrison supermarkets (1.6 billion in 2007).
Paul Sykes, Yorkshire property developers is worth at least 1 billion.

Also the Shepherd family from York who own Portakabin & Shepherd Construction are up there in the top 100.

Smiths have over 300 pubs, a brewery (or 2), own most of Tadcaster & surrounding agricultural land & properties, own some of Canary Wharf & parts of the commercial areas in Leeds. It is difficult to put a value on it without knowing the full extent.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30 - 2010 »
Isn't the richest man in Yorkshire Ken Morrison, former owner of Morrison supermarkets (1.6 billion in 2007).
Paul Sykes, Yorkshire property developers is worth at least 1 billion.

Also the Shepherd family from York who own Portakabin & Shepherd Construction are up there in the top 100.

Smiths have over 300 pubs, a brewery (or 2), own most of Tadcaster & surrounding agricultural land & properties, own some of Canary Wharf & parts of the commercial areas in Leeds. It is difficult to put a value on it without knowing the full extent.

Ken Morrison was certainly regarded as the richest in 2008 (http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/2227853.Sir_Ken_still_on_top_of_rich_list/).  However, as you imply, it is difficult to "value" Humphrey Smith in any way - for a start, we (I) don't know what percentage of Samuel Smith's Old Brewery he owns (some I believe is owned by his brother Oliver - I stand to be corrected).

The extent Humphrey Smith's hidden businesses are only known to the great man himself and for the rest of us mere mortals to conject about!

DB.

Offline ian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 1 - 2010 »
I have been told that Humphrey as been told by his bank, not to buy any more property.  Something to do with cash flow.

ian.

Offline larry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 1 - 2010 »
I have been told that Humphrey as been told by his bank, not to buy any more property.  Something to do with cash flow.

ian.

Apparently you may well be correct Ian, just found out that two farms (close to Tad) have just been sold. They are 'land locked' by the Hump, and he didn't bid for them. Can't reveal - obviously, but came from a good source.

As an aside, there are several pubs in Taddy just been put up for sale, by a couple of companies, The Swan, The Calcaria, The Falcon (which I am sure he would love to own) amongst others, but I doubt he will bid for them.

Looking more and more likely that if you want a drink in Tadcaster, it will have to be a pint of OBB, not that there's owt wrong with that. ;D

Offline OnTheDrink

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 3 - 2010 »
However, as you imply, it is difficult to "value" Humphrey Smith in any way - for a start, we (I) don't know what percentage of Samuel Smith's Old Brewery he owns (some I believe is owned by his brother Oliver - I stand to be corrected).

The extent Humphrey Smith's hidden businesses are only known to the great man himself and for the rest of us mere mortals to conject about!

DB.

The company still has to report directors appointments and shareholdings and Oliver has 50% of the business, shared with Hump, but its all a lot more complicated than that!  The shareholders in Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) Ltd are seven trust funds set up with Hump (four funds) and Oliver (three funds) as beneficiaries. There are 1885972 Ordinary Voting shares (which have no nominal value) split equally between the trust funds of Hump (Chairman) and Oliver (Joint MD) but with varying quantities in the trusts.

Offline bigjim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 4 - 2010 »

ian.

Apparently you may well be correct Ian, just found out that two farms (close to Tad) have just been sold. They are 'land locked' by the Hump, and he didn't bid for them. Can't reveal - obviously, but came from a good source.

As an aside, there are several pubs in Taddy just been put up for sale, by a couple of companies, The Swan, The Calcaria, The Falcon (which I am sure he would love to own) amongst others, but I doubt he will bid for them.

Looking more and more likely that if you want a drink in Tadcaster, it will have to be a pint of OBB, not that there's owt wrong with that. ;D

Blimey the situation is getting bad if Humphrey is strapped for cash to the extent he hasn't been able to extend his stranglehold on Tadcaster - I suggest a whip round! ;D

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 4 - 2010 »

ian.

I suggest a whip!

DB!

Blimey the situation is getting bad if Humphrey is strapped for cash to the extent he hasn't been able to extend his stranglehold on Tadcaster - I suggest a whip round! ;D

I suggest a whip!

DB!

ant

• Non-Member
« Reply #9 on: Jul 6 - 2010 »
one things for sure,he,s the richest area manager on the planet :D

Offline larry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 6 - 2010 »
one things for sure,he,s the richest area manager on the planet :D

PMSL  :D :D

Offline ian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 6 - 2010 »
Rumour as it that he is thinking of buying some Punch Tavern pubs.

ian.

Offline bigjim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 6 - 2010 »

ian.

Now I must say I've been surprised not to have had some indication that Humphrey was taking advantage of the present depressed pub market and splashing out on some really cheap real estate. I had assumed that the only reason had been a lack of cash - confirmed I thought by the recent rumour that the bank had told him not to buy any more property. But, as is typical with this outfit, we now have another rumour saying the complete opposite! LOL

Offline larry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 6 - 2010 »

ian.

Now I must say I've been surprised not to have had some indication that Humphrey was taking advantage of the present depressed pub market and splashing out on some really cheap real estate. I had assumed that the only reason had been a lack of cash - confirmed I thought by the recent rumour that the bank had told him not to buy any more property. But, as is typical with this outfit, we now have another rumour saying the complete opposite! LOL

I wonder if humpty starts some of these 'rumours' himself??  ::)

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 6 - 2010 »
I don't think that he's capable of starting anything, including the preverbial in a Brewery!

DB.