Author Topic: Poor food quality.  (Read 22992 times)  Share 

Offline Santillas.

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Poor food quality.
« on: May 15 - 2014 »
Don't bother trying the new food from the 'new' menu. Its laughably poor quality.
Just as we were thinking "oh, it could be back to how it was". Its clearly not.

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Poor food quality.
« Reply #1 on: May 16 - 2014 »
I ate in the Six Bells last Sunday and the food was excellent. A couple who had eaten there all week said it was good every day.

Tone

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #2 on: May 16 - 2014 »
I ate in the Six Bells last Sunday and the food was excellent. A couple who had eaten there all week said it was good every day.

Tone

Must have a bob or two?  :E20 :BL

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16 - 2014 »
Don't bother trying the new food from the 'new' menu. Its laughably poor quality.

The food itself or the preparation  ?S?

How far back do you go? whoops don't answer that... 0-)
« Last Edit: May 16 - 2014 by centurion »

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16 - 2014 »

One bad day don't spoil a summer so I judge for myself ta.  :E20

Offline pubuser

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16 - 2014 »
I agree about 1 bad meal.........  but lets be realistic all SS staff are trained to the same level (how to use a microwave), so realisticly all meals should taste the same which ever pub you eat them in.  I have had some fab meals in SS over the years but not since the menus changed.  Now in my opinion ( and only mine!!!) he shoudl stick to wet sales or bring back traditional food. 

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17 - 2014 »
This probably should be in a new thread, but I haven't worked out (yet!) how to start one, but it's loosely relevant.

I was in the York Arms with a mate a few weeks ago on Saturday lunchtime, in the right hand side. We'd been in since 12, and after about half an hour, one of the girls serving behind the bar, rather rudely told both of us and a few other regulars that we had to move because people were coming in to eat and they needed to sit down! We were about to leave anyway, but we were well disgusted with the girls behaviour.

We were in again today, and this time there was a sign which said something like (I didn't bother writing it down properly) that ' The room was for diners only'.

The sign went up after we went in so we didn't see it at first. However, a few other people either didn't see it or ignored it, so we did the same.

What is it coming to when the life blood of the pub i.e. the drinkers, are being pushed out for poor quality food?

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17 - 2014 »
This probably should be in a new thread, but I haven't worked out (yet!) how to start one, but it's loosely relevant.

I was in the York Arms with a mate a few weeks ago on Saturday lunchtime, in the right hand side. We'd been in since 12, and after about half an hour, one of the girls serving behind the bar, rather rudely told both of us and a few other regulars that we had to move because people were coming in to eat and they needed to sit down! We were about to leave anyway, but we were well disgusted with the girls behaviour.

We were in again today, and this time there was a sign which said something like (I didn't bother writing it down properly) that ' The room was for diners only'.

The sign went up after we went in so we didn't see it at first. However, a few other people either didn't see it or ignored it, so we did the same.

What is it coming to when the life blood of the pub i.e. the drinkers, are being pushed out for poor quality food?

I quite agree with your point.

I take it that you eat there though as your criticism of the food suggests?

Offline Santillas.

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18 - 2014 »
I completely agree. Sams dark, dingy boozers should be used by the usual retired soaks. So many other lovely places to eat.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18 - 2014 »
I completely agree. Sams dark, dingy boozers should be used by the usual retired soaks. So many other lovely places to eat.

Posting as a retired person but hopefully not a soak I'm going to give my twopenny worth on this.   Re pub food,    I see Sams food the same as Wetherspoons food.  You get what you pay for. If I'm paying around ?10 per head or less, I'm not expecting a Michelin Star meal. In my eyes pub food is there to save me from washing the pots back home.

Not all Sam's pubs are dark, dingy boozers or full of retired soaks, some are very nice with very nice people having a beer or two passing the time away talking to friends and yes sometime strangers who pop in for a quick visit. But it is about time Sam's sorted their food policy out. Bring back the home cooked meals in the country pubs at least.  The city ones are never going  to  beat the likes of Wetherspoons on food so why try. 

Talking about dark and dingy, a few years ago I was doing some walks in Brno.   Went out looking for a bar or a restaurant to eat we went down a very dark ally and found a  very dark and dingy looking bar/restaurant.  Made more then welcome by the staff, have a very good meal  in what turned out to be one of the top restaurants in the Czech Republic. Never take things at face value.

Ian, retired but far from being a soak, I hope. :GIVEB:

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18 - 2014 »

You really must try the Old Cheshire Cheese on fleet street!!! You will love it??  :()  :E20  :BL

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19 - 2014 »
Apologies to anyone who mistook my comments about the food quality. I've never tried it (I go to a pub to drink ale, not eat), but from what I've seen, it doesn't look particularly appetising anyway.

The only thing I would recommend is the crisps. A mate buys a load for us all to share at a quiz we go to and they are delicious, but rather expensive.

Do I get a black mark for praising something of Sams? (joking before anyone gets the hump).

:GIVEB:

Offline unhappy

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20 - 2014 »
Agree that the crisps are great but don't think 63p is expensive, they are quite a large bag

Offline Drinker1

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20 - 2014 »
I guess if frozen boil in the bag 'steak' and ale pie does it for you then the food aint bad ... personally Sams wouldnt be a first choice to drive out to for a meal

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20 - 2014 »
Neither would Wetherspoons!

Most pub chains are similar and offer similar concepts.  I don't think SS are any better or any worse in general.

I have said before that the country or destination pubs should be allowed to return to home cooked but for the brewery I think this offers all sorts of problems with stock control & profitability.