Author Topic: Poor food quality.  (Read 18878 times)  Share 

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Re: Poor food quality.
« Reply #15 on: May 20 - 2014 »
Apologies to anyone who mistook my comments about the food quality. I've never tried it (I go to a pub to drink ale, not eat), but from what I've seen, it doesn't look particularly appetising anyway.

The only thing I would recommend is the crisps. A mate buys a load for us all to share at a quiz we go to and they are delicious, but rather expensive.

Do I get a black mark for praising something of Sams? (joking before anyone gets the hump).

:GIVEB:

Good mate? Perhaps it's time you got the 'crisps in'. Or are you just to tight???  :E20 :BL

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: May 20 - 2014 »
I was thinking the same but didn't post it so well said!

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20 - 2014 »
I'm a poor peasant, whereas my mates are solicitors.

And you know what they are like.

Send a letter to someone and it pays for the beer/crisps for three months!

Offline Reliefman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21 - 2014 »
In reply to tubbycoates... The staff and management have been ordered by HRH to make sure that anyone NOT eating in the lounge MUST be asked to move!!! So please don't blame the staff!!!

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21 - 2014 »
In reply to tubbycoates... The staff and management have been ordered by HRH to make sure that anyone NOT eating in the lounge MUST be asked to move!!! So please don't blame the staff!!!

As is the case in most decisions.

Tone

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21 - 2014 »
Thanks Reliefman, I didn't know he-who-thinks-he's-god had ordered it.

However, there are ways to politlely ask customers to move to another part of the pub, and the girl who told us doesn't know that.

Again, if no-one is eating or waiting to eat, why can't customers use the room? Makes no sense to me, since the pub is usually busy and there is nowhere else to sit. Being York, there is a tendancy for hen parties to take over the other room, making it a place to avoid for someone like me and my mate who just want to have a quiet beer or three together.

The alternative is to go somewhere else, but why should we?

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21 - 2014 »
Most caf?'s and restaurants are the same aren't they? If folk are expected to come in to eat then you can't have a table to just sit at, even tho you are drinking!  It's just business and you can hopefully go somewhere else in the pub?
Got to say that some folk visits places and get a lemonade to share and want to sit there all day!
I have seen folk sit there with no drinks occupying a table and sales space! But then quickly moved on thank god.  The general public are so rude & un considering of others at times.
It's part of the job of managing the pub that's all.
...... :BL :BL :BL :BL :BL :BL :HD :DKB

Offline Reliefman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22 - 2014 »
To tubbycoates ask yourself this.... Does ANYTHING HRH does make any sense!!!

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22 - 2014 »
Er...................(thinks for a nano second).. 

No

:()

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23 - 2014 »
Well he does eat his own pub grub . . .

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 10 - 2014 »
I have found from bitter experience, that Wetherspoons grub is truly, appallingly dire. It can't hold a candle to Sams', (even with the faults it does indeed have) and I have paid 'more for less' in snooty pubs where they trumpet 'fresh, local ingredients' and STILL gotten microwaved frozen rubbish, plainly. So I won't criticise HS' offerings too much; fair's fair. But let the managers decide what to source, offer, cost, sell and if necessary- God forbid- tell them what to charge? Any profit goes to the brewery after rewarding the staff @ point of sale first.
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13 - 2014 »
Re: Sam's crisps - anyone else think they used to be brilliant but are now poor? We eat in our local Sam's pub around once a week, it's fine / good for what you pay. I've paid far more for what I would describe as bordering on crap, in some big name eateries.

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13 - 2014 »
Re: Sam's crisps - anyone else think they used to be brilliant but are now poor? We eat in our local Sam's pub around once a week, it's fine / good for what you pay. I've paid far more for what I would describe as bordering on crap, in some big name eateries.

I tend to agree with your comments about crisps. And would likely agree with your second comment if I had sampled because the main stream competition isn't up to much.
Crisps - changes are afoot! 

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 6 - 2015 »
Went to The Malt Shovel at Oswaldkirk at the weekend as we were at the steam engine rally in Helmsley, we were met by a cheerful host, great Sunday lunch and my husband described the "Taddy, as a well kept pint."  Coming from the home of Sam Smith's he was weaned on its finest brews.  The pub is set in the beautiful Howardian Hills and is Yorkshire at it's best.  The salt and vinegar crisps were to their usual standard.  Hope this is a sign things are changing for the better.  Have always loved Sams's pubs but not the old 'ping' dinners.

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 6 - 2015 »
Went to The Malt Shovel at Oswaldkirk at the weekend as we were at the steam engine rally in Helmsley, we were met by a cheerful host, great Sunday lunch and my husband described the "Taddy, as a well kept pint."  Coming from the home of Sam Smith's he was weaned on its finest brews.  The pub is set in the beautiful Howardian Hills and is Yorkshire at it's best.  The salt and vinegar crisps were to their usual standard.  Hope this is a sign things are changing for the better.  Have always loved Sams's pubs but not the old 'ping' dinners.

Good to hear and thanks for your post.

Don't know about the salt n vin but the guy who puts the flavour on the beef one's has gone awol again!   :U