Author Topic: Poor food quality.  (Read 19331 times)  Share 

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
  • 96 Sam's Pubs Visited (and counting...)
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Poor food quality.
« Reply #30 on: Aug 15 - 2015 »

Don't know about the salt n vin but the guy who puts the flavour on the beef one's has gone awol again!   :U
[/quote]

Great to read this! I thought that I was the only one. The quality of the beef crisps seems to have gone downhill.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 16 - 2015 »

Don't know about the salt n vin but the guy who puts the flavour on the beef one's has gone awol again!   :U

Great to read this! I thought that I was the only one. The quality of the beef crisps seems to have gone downhill.
[/quote]

In contrast to my above claim which  is still ongoing -  lack of flavour on crisps.

I got a bag of beef a couple of weeks ago and every crisp in the bag had a real thick coat of flavor on it. Not a single crisp was missed. All with much much more flavor than you would want. Next bag was back to normal with no flavor at all.

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 16 - 2015 »
Your comment brought to mind that some time ago I also discovered a bag of beef crisps which were coated with flavouring and extremely salty. I had to give the bag to a mate to polish off - they were pretty much un-eatable.
Wondering if there has been a consensus on who makes the snacks for Sam's? There was a rumour that they are Seabrook's but other people have said Walkers.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 16 - 2015 »
Definitely Seabrooks.  Thankfully I only eat the salt and vinegar version.😍

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 22 - 2015 »
I wonder who makes the peanuts - Seabrooks as well I guess?

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 22 - 2015 »
Sorry to disagree but I don't think Seabrook's make either!

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 24 - 2015 »
So what's your hunch then East Coast? I've heard Walkers and also Tayto (Northern Ireland) - Seabrook's being based at Leeds would make the obvious choice: handing over brass within the boundaries of Yorkshire.

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 25 - 2015 »
So what's your hunch then East Coast? I've heard Walkers and also Tayto (Northern Ireland) - Seabrook's being based at Leeds would make the obvious choice: handing over brass within the boundaries of Yorkshire.

Not a clue really,  though it was suggested on here that it was Tayto. Definatly not Walkers imo.
It's suprising it hasn't emerged yet as to who makes them. Along with the issues regards flavour, there is often many very small bits in the bags, no bigger than your thumb nail.
Overall I think 5/10 - plenty of room for improvement.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 25 - 2015 »
Tried the beef crisps and can understand why all the comments are being raised, the flavour was very weak in the packet I had.  The crisps were the standard mixture in size, however I did find that there was a strong beef flavour in one corner.  The crisps were in date and if I had wanted to eat salted crisps they would be fine to consume. 

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 25 - 2015 »
The thing about the crisps is, they were SO GOOD originally, it's the fact they've gone of so badly and even when you get a 'good' packet, they aren't as good as they were. As to who makes them - well, I would say without a dadow of a shout that it's not Walkers, as they used to state in their advertising that they did not make crisps for anyone else. Things do change of course, so I've been on their website and asked through their enquiry setup. I also mailed Seabrooks about a week ago, no reply so far. If someone comes back with 'that is commercially sensitive' or 'no comment', a conclusion can be drawn I think. The Chilli are ok but still not as good as the others were, to me. When they came out, I assumed that the crisps were made by a small company Sam's had bought - it's what he does with everything else!

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Aug 25 - 2015 »
That's gone Off, not of!

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 26 - 2015 »
I guess your right with Sam's buying smaller
Companies i.e. Walker & Scott who they use to make their spirits. I'm guessing thaT
Scintilla (their bottled and draught soft drinks) is actually Sam's at Tadcaster?

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Aug 26 - 2015 »
I don't know, but from my knowledge of German firms, it may be linked to the old Ayingerbrau setup, perhaps someone else could supply info.? Scintilla was a name also used by Bosch, for their power tools as there was a lot of resistance at one time due to the war and the Bosch / Boche thing. That was way back when power tools were made well, unlike the crap they all knock out now, comparatively.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 26 - 2015 »
Re: Crisps an oo meks 'em. Prompt (next day ) reply from Tayto, it's not them and they do not know who does.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 27 - 2015 »
I guess your right with Sam's buying smaller
Companies i.e. Walker & Scott who they use to make their spirits. I'm guessing thaT
Scintilla (their bottled and draught soft drinks) is actually Sam's at Tadcaster?

Walker & Scott is a non-trading company owned by Sam Smiths and just the name of their W&S department - all of the spirits and wine is contract bottled in their name. The companies that do this are rarely small.

Scintilla is indeed produced in house, which is why it's all so horrible.