Author Topic: Trouble in paradise?  (Read 1735 times)  Share 

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Trouble in paradise?
« on: Jun 18 - 2014 »
I have just been sent a link (via Facebook) regarding Nellie's in Beverley!!!

http://beverleytown.com/nellies.co.uk/quiz.htm
These are sad times :(

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble in paradise?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18 - 2014 »
Shame!
6 of one & half a dozen of the other. After all, it's supposed to be for charity and folk try not to pay, join in later etc. Tut tut.  :U

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18 - 2014 »
Mark, as someone who also does things for charity (Yorks Air Ambulance being one, bingo-calling for those who can't get out, another) at my own cost in money and time, I know exactly where you are coming from.

Unfortunately, I feel that more and more we are becoming a self-ish care-less society. It probably began with Thatcher, who denied that society exists, and it has spread from there. Certainly HS is a main sycophant.

I have never attended one of your quizzes. I have been in Nellie's a few times. But I would like to thank you for what you have done, if nobody else does.

There are still folks out there who care, but we are getting fewer.

Tone

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18 - 2014 »
I agree canaldrifter - although I might add, that I am not 'Mark'. It was a friend (a regular in that pub) who sent me the link, as I sometimes visit the place when working in the area.

I guess ultimately, it's another case of the brewery not being too bothered about their customers needs (other than the beer of course), and then wondering where all the customers have gone.

I've only been in Nellies on a quiz night once, about 3 or 4 years ago, and it was packed, with people struggling to find a seat and table to join in. My friend who is a regular there, said it's now usually dead in there for the quiz, yet the Corner House across the road, has a very good attendance to their quizzes - some of which I believe are music quizzes maybe?
These are sad times :(

Offline kettlesimon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18 - 2014 »
My own local used to do quiz's and exactly the same happened. People drifting in when they wanted, apathy from the brewery, "others" joined teams for free, use of smart-phones (cheating), et al.