Author Topic: Wellington,Alma Terrace,York  (Read 1931 times)  Share 

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Wellington,Alma Terrace,York
« on: Jun 25 - 2014 »
Before SAMs had the Wellington it was called the Sir Colin Campbell,named after a soldier who fought in the Crimean war at the battle of Alma.The newspaper article shows it to let in 1867,SAMs bought it in 1887 and it became the Wellington.

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington,Alma Terrace,York
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12 - 2014 »
Having an hour to spare in Fulford yesterday, I went down to the 'Wellie' for the first time since I moved to York.

Terrible for parking, but what a grand little pub this is! Just like stepping back to the 50s. Public Bar, 'Lounge' Bar and Snug. Fires lit. Friendly if inquisitive locals and a very friendly and chatty manager in Sue.

Great collection of old SS beer mats behind the bar.

Beer garden and semi-outside toilet that could rival York maze in miniature trying to find the urinals, which are up a large step. I wonder how many gents have forgotten that step and fallen backwards off it? Or how many big lads could reach the urinal without climbing up the step?

Interestingly, the Wellie is the first managed Sams pub I have been in that is supported openly by CAMRA. The Ooze Boozer is available, and so is CAMRA's recruiting material and beer guide on sale. No Locale pump signs though. Should be perhaps?  Sams must qualify.

The pub is dog and morris dancer friendly as long as they are kept on leads.

I must return with my camera.

Tone

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12 - 2014 »
morris dancer friendly as long as they are kept on leads.

Maybe if the Durham Morris Dancers had been on leads, Cruella's barmaid would not have thrown them out of the Swan & Three Cygnets a few years ago.   :()

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8675428/Morris-dancers-banned-from-pub-over-bells-on-shoes.html

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12 - 2014 »
The manager of the pub said yesterday he was not allowed to comment on the matter.

Well, quite. What else could he say but, "Sorry. This is the policy of the Sam Smiths Brewery that is run by somebody who doesn't like people, let alone morris dancers and music."

Tone

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13 - 2017 »
A nice picture of the Wellington in the 80s showing signage.

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12 - 2017 »
According to article in York Press today, its been closed for the last week with curtains closed etc. Advert on Gumtree for single/couple management. No comment from brewery :WF

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12 - 2017 »
Someone just posted on Press website that Tankard Inn, Rufforth and Rose and Crown in Askham Richard, both near York are still closed