• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The Eagle Tavern - Location: Leeds
« on: Mar 7 - 2008 »

Name: The Eagle Tavern - Location: Leeds

Address: North Street, Sheepscar, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS7 1AF [0113 245 7146]
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Eagle Tavern - Location: Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17 - 2010 »
Stands on it's own at a very busy road junction just North of the city centre.

Offline mikeupd

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21 - 2010 »
Mandy & Max are superb Sam Smiths Staffers, oh that some of the other outlets had such competent staff...

ant

• Non-Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23 - 2010 »
liked the homely feeling in this pub,and its massive, stage lighting etc etc all going to waste,everyone jolly.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 6 - 2011 »
Found this interesting review and potted history of the Eagle from the Yorkshire Evening Post, from Monday April 30th, 2001.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/lifestyle/the_eagle_tavern_north_street_leeds_1_2074989

The comment from the then manager would probably attract a P45 now...

"I'm not even allowed to sell Guinness," said manager Graham Hughes, who has been running the Eagle with wife Ellen for the past 18 months. Nonetheless, he says the way the pub really scores over its local rivals is the price - with Sam Smith's bitter around 50p cheaper than the cheapest bitter on offer at both the White Stag and the Victoria.

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 7 - 2011 »
Interesting article, particularly that Sam Smiths took it over after the war. I always understood that this pub was one of those run directly by CAMRA for a period and during their disastrous attempt at developing a pub estate of their own. Either that information is wrong or they took a lease from Sam Smiths. I have always suspected there are a lot more pubs in Humphrey's empire that we don't know about because they are leased out.

Sadly all attempts to get the nearby White Stag 'listed' failed and it was disgracefully demolished a couple of years ago. It's now just another empty plot. The Pointer has been boarded up for many years and the Victoria looks like it's struggling. Amazingly even the old Regent or latterly Maguire's is closed and up for sale, so The Eagle is pretty much all that's left in the area now. 

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #6 on: May 7 - 2011 »
yep.... that pretty much sums it all up, all closed! :( only sams left trading,now would be the time to turn the music back on,its a nation wide thing all closing down

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 7 - 2011 »
Very true antthe2nd, soon we will be left with Sam Smiths and Wetherspoons only :P
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline pintplease

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 7 - 2011 »
Very true antthe2nd, soon we will be left with Sam Smiths and Wetherspoons only :P

and thats when sams and wetherspoons prices will go through the roof

Offline alepaul

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 8 - 2011 »
At least there are some pub owners out thre who don't want to close their pubs

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #10 on: May 8 - 2011 »
Found this interesting review and potted history of the Eagle from the Yorkshire Evening Post, from Monday April 30th, 2001.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/lifestyle/the_eagle_tavern_north_street_leeds_1_2074989

The comment from the then manager would probably attract a P45 now...

"I'm not even allowed to sell Guinness," said manager Graham Hughes, who has been running the Eagle with wife Ellen for the past 18 months. Nonetheless, he says the way the pub really scores over its local rivals is the price - with Sam Smith's bitter around 50p cheaper than the cheapest bitter on offer at both the White Stag and the Victoria.

Interesting to note that, in the ten years prices have only increased 30-40p or so.  ;)

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 8 - 2011 »

Interesting to note that, in the ten years prices have only increased 30-40p or so.  ;)

And all just through duty and VAT increases. Can't complain about that I suppose.  Shame about the area. I used to call into the Eagle for a pint if passing and the Regent was ok as well.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21 - 2014 »
Heard a rumour that the long term  managers here Max & Mandy are moving pubs soon. Anyone confirm whether this is true and where they are going ? Humphrey seems to be moving a few managers about at present.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21 - 2014 »
General Elliott.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21 - 2014 »
Cheers Ian, that's the pub I heard about. Wonder why not The Old Red Lion, as that is still up since September to. Or is it Humphrey offering that or nothing again.  :HJH

Interesting choice if it's their own, busy city centre pub.