• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The Brown Cow - Location: York
« on: Mar 7 - 2008 »

Name: The Brown Cow - Location: York

Address: 36 Hope Street, York, North Yorkshire, YO10 4UR [01904 634010]
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Brown Cow - Location: York
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16 - 2010 »
The brown Cow is maybe not on the tourist trail?

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 8 - 2012 »
Looks like the management couple here have left. Such a pity as they seemed friendly enough adn welcoming. Here's the advert.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/jobs/brown-cow-york--pub-management-couple/101434352
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline southener

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 8 - 2012 »
Hi

basically its an estate pub, full of freindly enough locals (once they've stopped looking at the stranger ! )

Its a short walk from the Weatherspoons (near Cliffords tower) but not really a tourist area

just a short detour if you walking the walls thats how I found it !

Southener

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 8 - 2012 »
Yes it's an estate pub serving the local estate. I found it by dropping off the wall at Fishergate and walking into the estate. Or as you say around the back of the Clifford's tower. Not always the easiest to find though.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline johnyork

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: May 9 - 2012 »
I just hope the the next management couple follow the last 2 managers and keep the idiots out who gave this pub a bad reputation a few years back.They all got barred but as soon as theres someone different running it they come crawling back trying to get in and ruin it for others.This is a very good pub now very friendly place to go be ashame to see it slip back to like it was.   

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 9 - 2012 »
I must admit that when I called in there for a pint some weeks ago, there were only two folks drinking in the pub, late afternoon, including me. The other customer was boasting about how he lends his disabled blue parking badge to his son so he can park on double yellow lines in York when he goes shopping on his own.

Nice building, but I left after one pint.

Tone

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 9 - 2012 »
I have been in this week and was not impressed by the customers of the pub or the lack of them. The beer I had was woeful, but it was only a half so left it. It seems to run by a bar staff member temporarily at the moment.

Have to see what the new managers are like on a future visit.

Offline Chocko City

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17 - 2012 »
Unfortunately the couple who have been running the ?Brown Cow? Joff and Becky are moving on to pastures new at the Agar Warthill.

At the moment the Cow has not got a relief manager etc, so Joff and Becky are having too run both pubs at the same time.
Unfortunately for the very small hand full of customers this means that the pub is being run on the usual SS shoe string basis, running out of stock Blah Blah Blah.

Iam sure that the hand full of customers, will miss Joff and Becky, due to there pleasant manor and general friendly attitude towards everyone, who drinks at the cow.

The d?cor is well past its sell by date, but according to Humphrey when asked by a customer, if there was any chance of a Lick of paint,  Humphrey quipped ?No money? almost before the poor bloke opened his mouth!
The place is dire, a girl friend of mine refused to go in a second time because she said ?It?s a sh*t hole? And she not far wrong. The Pub could do with a good tidy up, paint carpets etc, through out the whole pub.

As some one who has spent several years drinking in ?sh*t Holes? I can honestly say it will never entice fresh new or old customers if it carry?s on the way it is.

Good Luck to ever takes this Pub on in the future. you will need it.:DKB :DKB
Chocks

:DKB
« Last Edit: May 17 - 2012 by Chocko City »

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17 - 2012 »
Unfortunately the couple who have been running the ?Brown Cow? Joff and Becky are moving on to pastures new at the Agar Warthill.

At the moment the Cow has not got a relief manager etc, so Joff and Becky are having too run both pubs at the same time.
Unfortunately for the very small hand full of customers this means that the pub is being run on the usual SS shoe string basis, running out of stock Blah Blah Blah.

Iam sure that the hand full of customers, will miss Joff and Becky, due to there pleasant manor and general friendly attitude towards everyone, who drinks at the cow.

The d?cor is well past its sell by date, but according to Humphrey when asked by a customer, if there was any chance of a Lick of paint,  Humphrey quipped ?No money? almost before the poor bloke opened his mouth!
The place is dire, a girl friend of mine refused to go in a second time because she said ?It?s a sh*t hole? And she not far wrong. The Pub could do with a good tidy up, paint carpets etc, through out the whole pub.

As some one who has spent several years drinking in ?sh*t Holes? I can honestly say it will never entice fresh new or old customers if it carry?s on the way it is.

Good Luck to ever takes this Pub on in the future. you will need it.:DKB :DKB
Chocks

:DKB

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your first post. As I said in my previous post, I was not impressed by this pub or it's beer the last time I visited. Hope they find a new manager soon, who can sort this place out again. As the previous couple were friendly and welcoming. May be they fancied a change.

Offline johnyork

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27 - 2012 »
Been in there sat night to be told that as of sunday there is new opening hours as of next week,currently mon-sat 11.00-23.00 sun 12.00-22.30 new hours 11.30-19.00  mon,tue,thu,fri,sat. 12.00-18.00 sunday closed all day wed.
has any other pubs had there opening hours cut like this?   
« Last Edit: May 27 - 2012 by johnyork »

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27 - 2012 »
A pub in the middle of a city housing estate not opening in the evenings?

That's a Dead Duck, not a Brown Cow!

Tone

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27 - 2012 »
I can't understand it.

Wasn't this pub without a manager recently? I wonder if these hours are until a new couple is found?

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27 - 2012 »
Yes I believe that the managers here have moved to the Agar Arms and that a bar staff member was running it. Not sure if it now has a new manager and have decided to reduce the opening hours based on the takings. Shall have to go and investigate sometime.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27 - 2012 »
A pub in the middle of a city housing estate not opening in the evenings?

That's a Dead Duck, not a Brown Cow!

Tone

Presumably they're not taking much in the evenings so Hump's answer is not to attract customers but to ensure what you do have goes away permanently! It's the worst solution to the problem that you could think of.