Author Topic: The Brown Cow - Location: York  (Read 14229 times)  Share 

Offline johnyork

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Staff Member
Re: The Brown Cow - Location: York
« Reply #15 on: May 27 - 2012 »
There was a new manger took it over on monday,not really giving him a chance changing the hours on first week there, the pool team has had to leave and go to another pub.

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15 - 2013 »
I visited the Brown Cow in York today, just for the craik.

It's like stepping back to a local community pub in the 60s.

Bad news? There are no hand pumps. There is no Extra Stout!!!! (Nobody drank it, so barrels were going off. Philistines!)

Dogs and children are not welcome. (Sophie the Smith's hound was disgusted!)

If you go by wheels, Hope Street, although well named, is one way. You have to enter via Walmsgate. Although I'd been there before, I had problems sorting that one out. Also parking outside is on local permit only.

On the good side, the OBB although gassed was OK at ?1.80. The current manager was affable enough. There is a good pool table. And the locals were fabulous.

At 3PM on a Monday afternoon, the pub was busy. It reminded me of The Jockey in Shameless, especially the wimmin! Real characters! Very photogenic. I wanted to get my camera out by I guessed that if I did I'd be lynched and hung out to rot on a gibbet on Walmgate Bar!

Tone

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11 - 2013 »
Called back today as the Kings Arms was so busy.

The Brown Cow is a friendly community pub with some real regular characters. (I was welcomed with a kiss on the hand by some old biddy well into her cups*.)

But......  no extra stout and no OBB!!  Just Taddy, Sovereign and Cider.

I know the stout doesn't sell, but there is no excuse for running out of OBB surely?

So, I had my first ever pint of Sovereign. It wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't choose it, but as a session gassed beer, it ticks the boxes.

The pub does need some internal refurbishment though. It looks quite drab. And what happened to the cold water in the gents?  Hot water only!

Tone

* Cups as in booze not bras.... although she did fill those too.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12 - 2013 »

The Brown Cow is a friendly community pub with some real regular characters. (I was welcomed with a kiss on the hand by some old biddy well into her cups*.)

I know the stout doesn't sell, but there is no excuse for running out of OBB surely?

So, I had my first ever pint of Sovereign. It wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't choose it, but as a session gassed beer, it ticks the boxes.

The pub does need some internal refurbishment though. It looks quite drab. And what happened to the cold water in the gents?  Hot water only!

Tone

There is no excuse for running out products, as they get a delivery each week. Unless they have had an exceptionally busy week, don't think that the Brown Cow is a particularly busy pub. There have been issues with the transport department, delivery on different days and some pubs only receive their delivery every two weeks.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12 - 2013 »

Tone

There is no excuse for running out products, as they get a delivery each week. Unless they have had an exceptionally busy week, don't think that the Brown Cow is a particularly busy pub. There have been issues with the transport department, delivery on different days and some pubs only receive their delivery every two weeks.

Not strictly true OBB as it's not exactly unheard of for core products to be under delivered or even missed off the dray completely, and getting emergency deliveries doesn't seem to be an option.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12 - 2013 »
Was in today,OBB was on,?1:80 a pint and not bad at all,better than ?1:84 in kings arms !.once locals get used to you a great proper locals pub.

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13 - 2013 »
I know that sometimes products are under delivered or missed off, due to pressure from management at the brewery. At times the transport department, seems to be unorganised and totally useless at running the lorries. Even now with the trade team doing several runs.

The King's Arms has been slightly more expensive since the new minimum pricing policy.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Chocko City

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14 - 2013 »
Called in the Cow today, what a miserable horrible place this pub now is.
It hasn?t had a decent clean in years, Iam surprised it?s not been condemned on hygiene grounds.
Probably the worst pub in York, ::H

Offline Gunner194

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14 - 2013 »
I couldn't agree any more CC, the place is awful. Totally ruined the Phrase" I never met a pub I didn't like!!" for me. :(

Offline Chocko City

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 30 - 2014 »
Oh dear Oh dear it would appear that Humphrey has relieved the young and bright landlady of her duties at the ?Cow?
Apparently shop lifters were using the premises to off load there swag.
The police attended the pub, to take a look at CTV and stuff, maybe to see if they would recognize the low life selling swag.
The landlady did her best to bar the low life, but on her days off the tea leaves used to sneak in!
The Cow was busier than Asda on X Mass eve.
Hey Ho another person without a job and some where too live!
Cheers
Chocko,,,,,

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 6 - 2014 »
It isn't fair that Humphrey sacked her for that, but if take on a pub like that you never know what to expect sometimes. Surely she told the bar staff who was barred and not served them.

As you say yet another ex SS manager without a job or a home.  :'(

I was planning a trip to York again soon.  $$*

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
  • 99 Sam's Pubs Visited (and counting...)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 6 - 2016 »
I was in this place over the weekend and they do not sell OBB! they pretty much just rely on sales of Taddy's and Sovereign. Also, speaking to the Landlord - they close at 16:00 every day!  :o