Author Topic: The Brigadier Gerard - Location: York  (Read 10811 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Brigadier Gerard - Location: York
« Reply #15 on: Apr 1 - 2015 »
I did hear a while ago that the managers were having a few issues with Humphrey. Not sure whether they were pushed or leaving of their own accord.

Not sure about the language, this topic has been covered many times before.Not keen on swearing excessively at the bar, especially when ladies are present.

May be another member has the story here :WF
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 14 - 2015 »
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse............

The landlords daughter was working behind the bar on Sunday evening. She's 15 or 16 years old for christs sake.

Typically, she disappeared for about 10 minutes at one point to play with her mobile, meaning a few of us couldn't get served, and one of the usual staff had to serve.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 9 - 2015 »
Have to agree on the language, last time I was in there, some of the locals were drunk and using abusive language at 5pm mid-week.  Male and females alike don't need to hear this sought of language.  I felt very uncomfortable waiting for my lift to arrive.  Not something I expect from a Sam Smiths pub.  Husband was abused last week in the car park....😢😢😢😢

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10 - 2015 »
I wonder if these last two incidents have been reported to York Council. I'm sure the Licensing people would be interested. ?S?

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10 - 2015 »
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you have rather an over optimistic view of Licensing committees. They have an almost laissez-faire attitude, the law is slanted very much in favour of the industry and very little is taken into account re the concerns of the public / locals / residents. Any big test decision has gone the way of the licensed trade. I doubt very much they'd be concerned with swearing - this would probably get dealt with by an officer. The abuse in the car park is another matter  - you should have contacted the Police, and could come under the issue of public safety and also nuisance. The 15 year old serving is of course a serious matter. If you want something done, then you have to stand up and make the complaint. 'Reporting' it will have no effect.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 10 - 2015 »
I didn't even think of reporting it to the council or the police, sorry state of affairs but I don't think either would now view it as a crime.  I hope this was my a one off and will take it further if the abusive language happens again in public.  😄

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 10 - 2015 »
No, unfortunately a sign of the times - having said that, there's a fair bit in my local, and as it's an hotel, I often wonder what guests think when they come in and hear it - it's ok amongst a group who are together, but when it impinges on others, especially women / kids then it's another matter. Not that I'm a prude, I swear, but there's a time etc.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 11 - 2015 »
This pub seems to get an enormous amount of comments on here from members, not sure why as I have never had a problem in here.In comparison to other SS pubs, that I won't mention on here. I don't like swearing either and many SS pubs that I go into quite often are friendly and welcoming, without the swearing and arguing.

Now for the backlash  :WF :WF
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 12 - 2015 »
Hi all,

Re swearing.

There's one guy who goes in with his wife, works for the post office called Tony. Swears his head off loudly, effing this, effing that, so-and-so's a t***, so-and-so's a c***, he even calls the bar staff b*******s to their face,

And nothing is done, His attitude is that if people don't like it they can lump it. I suspect if anyone complains about it they will just get a load of abuse.

The obvious solution is not to go in, but why should other customers have to go elsewhere? If Hump's spies do read this, maybe they will do something about it.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 12 - 2015 »
Doubt the spies will do anything - sorry.

Make a formal complaint to the managers. That sort of behaviour isn't tolerated in out Sam's pub, thanks to the managers....

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 12 - 2015 »
Hi ECBD,

Complaining to the manager is not an option, since the manager is sometimes as bad as he is!

The only solution would be somehow to bar the man concerned, but he hasn't got the brains to realise that by getting rid of one foul mouthed individual would be repaid by the number of people returning who don't go in anymore.

And, of course, others would also realise that foul language is a no-no and they would curb their own.

We can all dream, can't we?

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 12 - 2015 »
Hi ECBD,

Complaining to the manager is not an option, since the manager is sometimes as bad as he is!

The only solution would be somehow to bar the man concerned, but he hasn't got the brains to realise that by getting rid of one foul mouthed individual would be repaid by the number of people returning who don't go in anymore.

And, of course, others would also realise that foul language is a no-no and they would curb their own.

Hello.

Oh dear, not an option as the manager is "not up to scratch".

Well, you can vote with your feet as you have plenty of choice of SS pubs in York where we only have the one.

Good luck however...

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 12 - 2015 »
Hi ECBD,

Hello.

Oh dear, not an option as the manager is "not up to scratch".

Well, you can vote with your feet as you have plenty of choice of SS pubs in York where we only have the one.

Good luck however...
Not good news. As already suggested you could always vote with your feet. Not an option for me too, as only have one SS in close proximity.

Offline nobody

• Member Karma = +6/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #28 on: Aug 12 - 2017 »
Went in here this week and did not hear any swearing, looks like the no swearing policy just might be working.