Author Topic: The Blacksmiths Arms - Location: Skelton  (Read 6930 times)  Share 

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!

Name: The Blacksmiths Arms - Location: Skelton

Address: Shipton Road, Skelton, York, North Yorkshire, YO30 1XW [01904 471902]
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Blacksmiths Arms - Location: Skelton
« Reply #1 on: Nov 9 - 2010 »
Went in here a few days ago. Had a natter to the locals and all was friendly.

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
The Blacksmiths Arms - Location: Skelton
« Reply #2 on: Dec 1 - 2014 »
I understand that Dennis and Elaine have handed in their notice and finish in February as they have to serve 3 months notice. Regulars are saying it's because of HS demands re profit etc. The staff have also gone off sick and they cannot get anyone to help to they are 24/7 working at the moment. They have been there nearly six years so we'll see what happens. Best of luck to the both of them :DD

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 1 - 2014 »
Hear hear.

I've been in a walking trip on my way to the Tiger and found the landlord and landlady very friendly.

I'd go in a lot more if it was on my bus route!

Humpty-dumpty strikes again.

:GIVEB:

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22 - 2015 »
Since Dennis and Elaine left in February we have had a young girl running pub but it took over her life and she left. We then had short term relief with the promise that a new couple wanted the pub but after training they said no. We then had the couple from the Brown Cow in York taking over who wanted to take over permanently  but HS said no so the pub shuts tomorrow. What do we regulars do, no other pub nearby, does HS not care about his customers? >:( :-x

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +17/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24 - 2015 »
What a shame, a quiet, friendly pub which could achieve so much more due to its location.

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24 - 2015 »
Since Dennis and Elaine left in February we have had a young girl running pub but it took over her life and she left. We then had short term relief with the promise that a new couple wanted the pub but after training they said no. We then had the couple from the Brown Cow in York taking over who wanted to take over permanently  but HS said no so the pub shuts tomorrow. What do we regulars do, no other pub nearby, does HS not care about his customers? >:( :-x

What about the club? Further down the road. Not barred? had some great times in there some years ago, with the old sweats. Is the 'farm' still nearby with all it's free facilities?

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25 - 2015 »
The club has been closed for about 8 years and is due to be converted to residential property having just been sold at auction. The 'farm' is awful unless you like screaming kids.
I noticed lights on at The Blacks when I came home from work yesterday but the doors were shut.

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 2 - 2016 »
We've now had Danny and Debbie running the pub since New Year. they are excellent and brought a new lease of life to the premises. Now very busy and a great atmosphere. They left to go on holiday yesterday and arranged relief did not turn up so we are now without a pub possibly till Sunday/Monday. Can the brewery not get anything right. :( :( >:( >:(

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 2 - 2016 »
I don't know if this is true but I was told that it is up to managers to organise their own relief for time off. If they can't then the pub is to shut whilst the managers take leave.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 3 - 2016 »
I don't know if this is true but I was told that it is up to managers to organise their own relief for time off. If they can't then the pub is to shut whilst the managers take leave.

That has been the same for a few years at least. There is a lack of reliefs at the moment,plus many managers vacancies as well.

I was in this pub recently and the couple seemed very pleasant.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 7 - 2017 »
The Blackies is now doing a great Sunday lunch. Was in on Sunday just gone and the food looked fantastic and plentiful. Good menu and not expensive. OBB was on absolutely top form. Cant wait to go back in.  :DD :DD

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16 - 2017 »
The Blackies is now doing a great Sunday lunch. Was in on Sunday just gone and the food looked fantastic and plentiful. Good menu and not expensive. OBB was on absolutely top form. Cant wait to go back in.  :DD :DD

Glad to hear that there is some good news around the empire,as in parts it seems doom & gloom again.

Lets hope that they are still there on your next visit.  :WF
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20 - 2017 »
been in tonight and selling version of prosecco called Pacifico. According to her indoors it was great. Anybody else had any.  C==Cheers::

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20 - 2017 »
been in tonight and selling version of prosecco called Pacifico. According to her indoors it was great. Anybody else had any.  C==Cheers::

Closing the stable door after the horse has run off springs to mind!