Author Topic: Would you advise anyone to actually works for Sam Smiths  (Read 11540 times)  Share 

Offline jarvisdad

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
I am a tenant of one of the larger breweries who seem intent on creaming off any of my profits from my hard work and success with rent and price increases.

I have considered applying to Sam Smiths but after reading this forum I am unsure.

Does anyone have anything positive to say about running a Sam Smiths house ?

« Last Edit: Jul 28 - 2009 by jarvisdad »

Offline bluemoon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
NO............

Offline jarvisdad

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Keep it simple EH !! :D :D

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Alpine is good ...... and cheap.

Offline brokefree

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
Not a chance unless you want a life of misery and STRESS !! ???

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
I'm afraid there isn't much good stuff to report about working for Sams, as you have said the contents of this site say most of it, and sadly its pretty much all a true reflection of the state of things.

If you consider that you will be expected to work with as few staff hours as is absolutely possible, be expected to push the mostly microwaved food to achieve his (usually) unattainable targets whilst on the way returning a minimum of 5% surplus on the wet sales and bearing in mind you will recieve very little or no help from them in the form of training and support...then its all good...lol

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but its no point in getting your hopes built up....on the plus side, there are probably dozens of pubs to choose from!!

I sincerely hope you find an alternative solution to your current problem, I hate seeing anyone taken advantage of, but speaking honestly Sams may probably be worse than your current situation.

Having said all that, you could always ring Humphrey Smith, you'll find his number on various postings on here, and see what he can do for you, Just be very careful and don't pin your hopes on a dream. 
Beware the toes you tread on today are not attached to the leg that supports the arse that you are gonna have to kiss tomorrow.

Offline Regular

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Actually, our new management couple at my local, seem very happy half of the time!!

Although may be I should mention that is on the occasions when they are completely pissed, whilst working. Which is quite a worry really. Not the kind of thing you expect when you go sober into a pub. And by the time I've had a couple, they make me feel completely sober in comparison.

I suppose what I'm saying is, like with a lot of bad things, if you are completely twatted, then it probably wont seem too bad. And it would also seem that you can get away with it - well they have at our local for about 6 or 7 months.  :o

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Was employed by Sams for 20 years, a great company to work for,unfortunetly not any more ,We got out at the time when costcutting was the time of day.There,s sod all in staff hours and if your lucky you may get a day off (together).Be very careful if you do join up if you own property keep it you could well need it .Anyway Jarvisdad all the best in what you decide,personally I would keep well away.

Offline jarvisdad

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
I guess nobody has any positives at all then !!!

Offline ademapearl

• Member Karma = +4/-1
    • View Profile
Perhaps it is not all THAT bad....... there are actually some managers who have worked for Smiths for a long time. Whats the secret of a long and successful career at the brewery?  I have a theory...... it helps greatly if you have a previous career in the forces. Any soldier knows that all the officers are upper class idiots, but they just get on with the job anyway. they are trained to follow orders, and the question why is not one that you are encouraged to ask in the army. So,if you keep your head down and just get on with it you do stand half a chance of a reasonably happy life. Just don't start showing any initiative! The other half of a happy life depends on how lucky you are with your posting. The Smiths equivalent of Cyprus or Bermuda is a nice quiet country pub, where the evening food trade has stopped or diminished to near zero because of the menu, where you can have a nice quiet life amongst a few pensioners enjoying the subsidised beer. I guess the brewery equivalent of Afganistan is a city centre pub where staff hours have been cut and you have to cope without a bouncer, especially when you have to persuade the punters to go home at 11.30 pm. How good are you at organising a cushy billet?

Offline bettybooby

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Don't leave what you've got for Sams. The phrase out of the frying pan into the fire comes to mind.
From what I gather all breweries are struggling and tightening their belts so not a good time to make a move within the industry.
I left Sams after trying hard to ignore what was going on but it get you in the end.Put me off managing pubs for life.
Hope this gives you a little thought.

Offline dogsboddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
have been with sams a long time when he took the advice to take the tv,s out it was supposed to be a five year trail well he has had his five years plus but he hasnt got the bottle to hold his hands up and say him and his puppet (fob) was wrong our pubs should be chocker (beer is brill +prices) common mr smith stop taking the veiws of fob swollow your pride we are all wanting the same thing to fill the pubs 

Offline wormy168

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
i can from recent experience absolutely advise you not to go within an inch of this corrupt lousy company! sue me if you want to try smith? ive got plenty of ammo!

Offline LawDittup

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
There are plenty of opportunities for good licensees with other companies whose standards are just as rigorously enforced ,but at least you will be rewarded and valued for your efforts. Anybody who sticks out with Obergruppenfuhrer H, needs to assess their own self-worth  and esteem before its too late ................get out, stay out, before he throws you out! I'm a customer now but wasn't always one.

Offline jd

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
no not even if they stopped my benefits, having worked for them got fired, no reasons given, not even a thankyou, one of the worst employers I have worked for, expects loyalty, in fact demands it but takes everything as well, poor money and frightened managers who won`t stand up against HS