Tel 01132534821
« Last Edit: Aug 21 - 2009 by bigjim »

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The New Inn - Gildersome Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Jul 1 - 2010 »
Nice pub but when I was in, I was the only one in.

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #2 on: Jul 1 - 2010 »
Brilliant art deco design, love it.
Beware the toes you tread on today are not attached to the leg that supports the arse that you are gonna have to kiss tomorrow.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #3 on: Nov 9 - 2011 »
Photo of the New Inn, Gildersome, Leeds.

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 9 - 2011 »
Been back in today. It as a new manager (6 weeks).   Taken some inside photos this time.

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10 - 2011 »
This is an extremely rare pub from the 1930's and as such enjoys 'listed' status. I believe it was built specially for SSOB and Humphrey shared the original plans with CAMRA when it was being considered by English Heritage. It used to be very popular for it's home cooking, but we all know what happened to that don't we? Unfortunately the light fittings were replaced fairly recently and not enough care has been taken in choosing the new ones in my view. It's things like this that slowly erode the character of a pub and makes photo's even more important. I seem to remember the gents might be original, but can't remember for definite. Maybe Ian can tell us?

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10 - 2011 »
Hi bigjim, more photos for you to look at.  Re the toilets.  Don't you think I get enough stick on here about me hanging around the gents.  ;)  Yes I did go in but did  not take any photos of them.  To be honest they did not look any different to most pub gents.

Just for the record, I spent 7 hours yesterday sat on 7 different buses. 

Sorry to say, but over the next few weeks I'll be too busy to out pub bagging.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11 - 2011 »
Here's one for Bigjim...............................

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1114811

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11 - 2011 »
Some info from t'interweb... http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1114811

It was designed in 1934 by Leeds architect H Lane Fox for its present owners, Samuel Smith's and completed the following year. The art deco exterior is untouched and even has the roadside sign in the original style of lettering.

I'm surprised it's not a listed building - Art Deco pubs aren't exactly common.

Offline shady

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11 - 2011 »
kept expecting to see my gran walk in to one the pics with a pot of tea with a tcozy on top ;D

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12 - 2011 »
I to would be surprised if the building and interior are not listed. It is similar to the Tankard at Rufforth, with the 1930's theme.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12 - 2011 »
I to would be surprised if the building and interior are not listed. It is similar to the Tankard at Rufforth, with the 1930's theme.

It is surprising but it's not listed and even only gets a local mention on the CAMRA heritage pubs list because there have been minor alterations to the original interior.

Offline Pintataddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 3 - 2012 »
Been here recently and was so surprised at the great atmosphere in here these days. Lots of laughter and great banter with the New Managers. Its good to be able to go in and enjoy yourself and no longer have to bite your lip. Tried out the new Menu and it has a really great selection. It is such a shame that idle gossips have slated this food without even trying it.

I had a superb pint of bitter, a steak and ale pie served all with fresh veg and homemade gravy. The missus had a chicken burger and it was a chicken fillet served with chips and half a lager. Total bill was less than 14 quid not bad for 2 drinks and 2 meals.

Great pub, great atmosphere and really good food. All I can say is give it a try before you slate it.  :D

Offline Leeds Born and Bred

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 3 - 2012 »
If the atmosphere is so great in the New Inn now, why has the Wednesday Night Quiz gone down from being between 25 to 35 teams to about 10 teams? I went in there a few weeks ago for the quiz and was shocked to see how many familiar faces were missing and when asked about them I was told that they have not been in for weeks since the old managers went.

Also, why was there only about 10 people in the place on New Years Eve? It was heaving last year, and the year before, and the year before that. It was that quiet the bar staff was sent home at 11:30pm.

So much for the great atmosphere....

Offline Pintataddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 3 - 2012 »
Cant comment on the quiz or this new years eve,but i have been in on previous new years eve nights when the old managers used to serve until 3/4 in the morning!......which pub wouldnt be busy doing that year after year?...fair play to the new managers for not breaking the law and following instructions from the brewery on closing times.
Personally dont go in that often,but i speak to a few people who go in regulary,and they have all said how good it is to see fresh faces running the place and how stale it had got with the old managers,and how badly it needed a shake up........apparently they've even managed to rid the place of the miserable sour faced old hag who used to work behind the bar too....much to the delight of customers AND existing staff.
Back to my original post,we had a lovely couple of hours there mid week,great meal and superb beer,couldnt fault it.This is my humble opinion,but it seems the pub is going in the right direction under the new managers