Author Topic: The New Inn - Gildersome Leeds  (Read 21483 times)  Share 

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The New Inn - Gildersome Leeds
« Reply #15 on: Jan 3 - 2012 »
Welcome to the forum shortbread.  I think a lot of the problems with the ping food that has to be sold in Sams pubs is the way it's prepared and served, so if they can do that right it's half the battle.

New Year's Eve at Sam Smiths pubs is a real bone of contention.  The law allows pubs (with a few exceptions) to remain open from the end of normal hours on New Year's Eve to the start of normal hours on New Year's Day without having to apply for the additional hours, so staying open is perfectly legal. The reason the brewery wants managers to close is to save on staff hours, which is hardly good business sense because most managers would work themselves and any extra staff hours would be covered by the extra trade. It's madness to drive away your regulars and potential new regulars on what is potentially the busiest night of the year.

Opinions seems to be split into two camps as to the management change at the New Inn. My local changed managers last year and  opinions are split there as well although I prefer to just accept that different people have different management styles, not better or worse, just different, although that's not always the case. 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27 - 2012 »
Opinions are generally split when a new couple take over the running of a pub. With so many changes at lots of Sams pubs, it's not surprising really. Some have had more managers than months in the year. Not good for loyal customers and or new ones.

New Years eve is a busy night normally. It was pretty busy at my local Sams, well until about midnight when it shut.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Leeds Born and Bred

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 7 - 2012 »
Was in here over the weekend and was astonished to hear that the Monday Night Games Team are disbanding at the end of the current season. The person I was speaking to said that the morale of the team has gone and the current managers are not bothered about a games team. I am told that some of the team may be going to another pub in the league.

There has been a games team playing from the New Inn for as long as I can remember - in fact, I'm not sure but I think there is a picture in the tap room of a team from the 1960's.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 7 - 2012 »
Was in here over the weekend and was astonished to hear that the Monday Night Games Team are disbanding at the end of the current season. The person I was speaking to said that the morale of the team has gone and the current managers are not bothered about a games team. I am told that some of the team may be going to another pub in the league.

There has been a games team playing from the New Inn for as long as I can remember - in fact, I'm not sure but I think there is a picture in the tap room of a team from the 1960's.

It is sad when a team has assembled and used the pub for a good many years and now new managers have arrived adn don't seem to care. One way to lose alot of custom though. Some new managers need to look after the place for a while before making big changes.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Just Passing

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17 - 2012 »
 :HD

Offline Just Passing

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17 - 2012 »

« Last Edit: Jul 25 - 2013 by Just Passing »

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17 - 2012 »
 Good to see a response from you. Not many managers do and any criticism they get rarely gets answered, making it all one-sided. New managers will always come in for stick regardless of any justification so I would like to see your critics eating a piece of humble (not SS ping) pie!

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17 - 2012 »
Welcome to the Forum Just Passing.  You will always get a few that don't like change but reading the comments on the New Inn they are more positive ones then not.

You say that you are the managers of the New Inn, is it wise to out yourself as such on here?

ian.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19 - 2012 »
Welcome to the forum Just Passing and hope you stay and read many of the posts. Some people jsut don't like cany chagne to there local. We do need some positive comments about the pubs. As stated please be careful with your comments as you have stated that you are manager. You don't Humphrey on your back this early with your time at the brewery.

Offline Mr Taddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28 - 2012 »
This pub used to be my local but i changed and have only been in about 3 times in the last 7 years (its only 300 yards from my home). I went in last night early doors and was instantly made to feel welcome. The landlady was having a good chat with a few of the customers and by 8:15 the tap room was packed as it was games night. After asking if the games team were leaving i was told that they were but it was nothing to do with the new manager / manageress the wheels had been put in motion before the old manager left. I will now be going in a lot more so no more taxis home from The Valley pub.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28 - 2012 »
This pub used to be my local but i changed and have only been in about 3 times in the last 7 years (its only 300 yards from my home). I went in last night early doors and was instantly made to feel welcome. The landlady was having a good chat with a few of the customers and by 8:15 the tap room was packed as it was games night. After asking if the games team were leaving i was told that they were but it was nothing to do with the new manager / manageress the wheels had been put in motion before the old manager left. I will now be going in a lot more so no more taxis home from The Valley pub.

Glad your giving the new managers support and hope you continue to go in. So the new managers are ok, you jsut need to make sure that they stay. Alot cheaper for you then ?

Offline angry arry

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28 - 2012 »
nice to hear the new inn is doing well as it should do, its a lovely pub. richie has the valley got a new manager yet, this is another good pub, that needs lifting a bit. reliefs do their best but it needs a manager.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28 - 2012 »
I'm pleased that others found the managers OK,  he was/is like me a carpenter.   Being carpenters like Jesus we are use to being crucified unjustly  :()

Offline Mr Taddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28 - 2012 »
Hia Angry Arry.
No the Valley has still got the temps in and i think they are losing a lot of trade which is a real shame. They applied for the position before Christmas but have been offered the post as yet.

Ian
nice reply i just hope you have broad shoulders because it doesn`t get any easier.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28 - 2012 »

Ian
nice reply i just hope you have broad shoulders because it doesn`t get any easier.
I will now be going in a lot more so no more taxis home from The Valley pub.

Like any forum we have our ups and downs on here,  the trick is not to let it upset you too much.

Taxi home?  ::H  It's only a ten minute walk from the Valley to the New Inn if you use the public footpath through the fields.   :SRD

OK so it's uphill with 5 stiles to climb over and one or two horses to make friends with,  but just think of the money you'll save.