Author Topic: The York Arms - Location: York  (Read 29508 times)  Share 

Offline weezer66

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Re: The York Arms - Location: York
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17 - 2011 »
has this bar got a beer garden at the back with the gents toilets out there too ? went to York few years ago and trying to remember the ss pub I went to...

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Oct 8 - 2011 »
has this bar got a beer garden at the back with the gents toilets out there too ? went to York few years ago and trying to remember the ss pub I went to...

Went back in yesterday and had a look around.  In the back yard there is a set of steps onto a roof garden of sorts that I think could be private, but I did go in. The 2 photos below are taken from that roof top garden and maybe they are the best of the 250+ photos I took that day.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 9 - 2011 »
An interesting view of the minster  :P
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 5 - 2012 »
Heard today that the managers have been sacked from the York Arms.   I was told why but it's only rumour so will not post on here.

ian.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 9 - 2012 »
I had 20 minutes in between buses so I made a quick dash to the York Arms for a quick half.   A long standing relief is looking after it for the time being.   Talking to a local who as used the pub since the 1950s   the last managers did not bother with the pub and it was in a bit of a state when they left. 

Looking at photo #1,  maybe time for a new coat of paint. 

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 25 - 2012 »
Yes the long time relief managers are still there and things seemed to have ateadied. It could definaltey do with a lick of paint and some tlc.

Also a manager is required as well. Among many other pubs at the moment.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Chocko City

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 21 - 2012 »
Popped in the ?The Gay Arms? 13.9.12
Joking apart we always go in the lounge, at least there is someone in on a late evening.
Although there were only about 4 customers in the lounge, there were plenty of empty seats
Ordered the drinks and decided to park up in the bay window seat, all four of us had just got seated, when Mr Grumpy tipped up shouting get the F out of my seat.

York drinkers will probably know the man as John, who is elderly and also drinks in the Cab.
Normally I wouldn?t be too bothered about people using the F word, but on this occasion I asked John to tone his language down, due to one of our group being a lady.

After another abusive mouthful from John, our Lady friend got up and walked away to the middle of the bar, very embarrassed.

What our group couldn?t understand was how a customer could lay claim to a seat if he was sat in the middle of the pub talking to another ?New? temporary landlord, for at least five minutes.
Apart from his dirty coat and plastic bags left on the seat where our group sat down, I wouldn?t have thought any decent person would have kicked up a fuss.

Any way our Lady friend was very disappointed that the ?New? temp landlord whom she was chatting too a week earlier, hadn?t the bollocks to walk over and sort the little seat problem out him self.

The girl behind the bar tried to smooth things over, by saying John had left his stuff on the seat and was entitled too moan at us.

Hey ho we won?t be rushing back.
Cheers
Chocko
 :DKB

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 21 - 2012 »
Thanks for your post about the York Arms, so who are the relief couple running it now. As a long term relief was running it the last time I was there. Customers in my local don't generally have a seat that is theirs. I suppose that if a customer has left their things there then they have chosen that as their seat. Not saying that they should have rights to the seat all the time though.

Surely managers with some customer relations skills can sort out little problems like these. May be this is a sign that the new managers are not equipped to run many of his pubs. Relief managers or managers with an 11 month contract.

I may go in and investigate myself this weekend.  :WF

Offline Chocko City

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 21 - 2012 »
Not sure who is in charge now, but Tim was there last time we visited. ::)
Unfortunately Tim wasn?t present to defend his name after I enquired where he was that evening, but the bar maid seemed too have a lot to say. :()
Iam sure I will bump into him soon, and find out for myself.

Yes poor management, regarding the F seat scenario!

Any way we wiped our feet on the way out, and popped to a more civilised Pub.
Cheers
Chocko :BL

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 21 - 2012 »
I cannot understand why some people think it's OK to swear in front of strangers and the ones who do swear always seams to be the ones who like to shout.   Swearing in public is a pet hate of mine and I have shown a few people up over their swearing in front of ladies. Saying that it seams to be the women who do most of the swearing nowadays.   

I wonder where the long time relief's have gone now? I've seen then a few times now.

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31 - 2012 »
Haven't been in here for over 6 months. If someone is using the F word to other customers, the simple thing is to complain to the landlord, embarrass them by asking them to stop swearing, or just punch them! I was getting a load of foul-mouthed grief from one of these 'your sat in my seat' merchants a few years ago in the Brigadier, so I, to my shame, lost it and punched him. The general concensus was, although I was in the wrong by hitting him, everyone felt he got what he deserved.
And for more about foul language, see the Angel postings.

Offline splash

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31 - 2012 »
who did u smack

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 1 - 2012 »
One of the regulars called Dave who used to get blitzed and then get a taxi home. He used to regularly get barred from the Brigadier and the Six bells at Strenall as well.

Offline Johnbob

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
The York Arms - Location: York
« Reply #28 on: Nov 1 - 2012 »
It's not big an its not clever, I hope you got barred for life.

You would of in my local, the landlords sh*t hot on that sort of stuff

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 1 - 2012 »
It does nothing for the atmosphere in pubs if their is bad language and also violence. Customers who do this repeatedly should be barred from all SS pubs in the area. Or even all the SS pubs around the country.

Members need to be careful adding names and dates for incidents as it may upset managers and other customers.