Author Topic: The York Arms - Location: York  (Read 28287 times)  Share 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The York Arms - Location: York
« Reply #30 on: Dec 2 - 2012 »
Went in here last week and too my surprise the OBB was ?1-81.    So much for a standardized prices in the northern pubs.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 2 - 2012 »
Went in here last week and too my surprise the OBB was ?1-81.    So much for a standardized prices in the northern pubs.

Well it was a new minimum price at ?1.80. Others in York and outside are slightly more as well. Was there a new manager there ?
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 2 - 2012 »

Well it was a new minimum price at ?1.80. Others in York and outside are slightly more as well. Was there a new manager there ?

I missed the "minimum" part.     :::K      I think it was a relief that was in.   

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 2 - 2012 »

I missed the "minimum" part.     :::K      I think it was a relief that was in.   

Think there was a debate about on another thread. Seems to have had quite a few reliefs in over the summer. As on my last three visits it has had a different manager every time.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline splash

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 2 - 2012 »
its the same manager that has been in for ages as a single lol  obb same price at the cab

Offline Gunner194

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 29 - 2013 »
Hi All,
Tried to take the father-in-law to this pub earlier today, but it closed for refurbishment!! So had a beer in the Three legged mare (as not impressed by the way) But it was a good view point, for the progress of the refit and I can categorically state ,that judging by the numeracy of the cig breaks by the workmen, I wouldn't hold your breath as to its reopening!
Cheers H.L 

Offline bacuzzi48

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 29 - 2013 »
Its the old story,managers in most cases are ex shelf stackers,tenents should run pubs as for the york arms two things,dont like the clear windows and foul mouth to -rags who if the pub was run by pro,s would be barred and in any case why allow the lady to move the bag on the seat should have been moved out of the door with the owner.

Offline Storm28

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 29 - 2013 »
Its the old story,managers in most cases are ex shelf stackers,tenents should run pubs as for the york arms two things,dont like the clear windows and foul mouth to -rags who if the pub was run by pro,s would be barred and in any case why allow the lady to move the bag on the seat should have been moved out of the door with the owner.

The new couple that took over about 5 months ago had about 10 years experience of running bars, lovely couple. Isnt this back on gumtree again now tho?

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 30 - 2013 »
Thanks all, I shall go to York end of next month and see for myself the progress and new management couple.

Offline Gunner194

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 30 - 2013 »
Hi OBD,

I usually do a tour of the York Sam's in October for Trafalgar day with my old ex-BAE buddy's- and this pub is a pivotal part of this, so hopefully it will be open.

Cheers H.L

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Aug 31 - 2013 »
It was open tonight when I walked past. Looked very bright inside as walls appearred to have been painted white. Couldn't go in as I was working

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 2 - 2013 »
Went in the R/H side, as I used to, and was pleasantly surprised. New furniture, brightly decorated, brights lights, a total transformation. I would have liked to have had a pint, but the service was non-existant. Some guy was serving in the other bar. He noticed me, but took ages to serve one customer 3 pints. After finishing serving, he then started a converrsation with another customer, totally ignoring me! After waiting over 5 minutes, I walked out.

So as much as the fittings may have changed the better, the sevice hasn't.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 2 - 2013 »
After finishing serving, he then started a converrsation with another customer, totally ignoring me! After waiting over 5 minutes, I walked out.

I find that I'm walking out of more and more pubs due to lack of service, and not just Sam Smith's.  I walked out of a few Weatherspoons because the bar staff are too busy talking to each other rather then serving.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sep 3 - 2013 »
After finishing serving, he then started a converrsation with another customer, totally ignoring me! After waiting over 5 minutes, I walked out.

I find that I'm walking out of more and more pubs due to lack of service, and not just Sam Smith's.  I walked out of a few Weatherspoons because the bar staff are too busy talking to each other rather then serving.

Same for me as well. Walked out of a ss pub at the weekend due to lack of service. 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 16 - 2013 »
Just adding a couple more photos.