Author Topic: The York Arms - Location: York  (Read 28289 times)  Share 

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The York Arms - Location: York
« Reply #45 on: Nov 29 - 2013 »
Called in last night, wish I hadn't bothered. Some fella was accusing the girl behind the bar of serving flat beer and being rude to him. Behind him, another fella was also complaining about both the beer and the rudeness of the girl.
I've always had decent beer when I've been in, but, to be fair, it's usually been when long-standing staff have been working.
Decided not to take the risk and left.

Offline happy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 1 - 2013 »
the managers or should i say the manager as he can only work for a few minutes have a lot to learn they seem to running a safe haven for down and outs good luck while it lasts as hs will see it

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14 - 2013 »
Called in tonight with some mates, and had to put up with a constant stream of foul language from , to my amazement, the landlady! Effing this, effing that while we were trying to get served. they were sat inside the door so it was difficult to get past them. It was too busy so we didn't stay long.

What chance have we got if the management are displaying the sort of behavior that the punters don't like?

Humph's spies, do something about it!

Offline gladis01

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jan 4 - 2014 »
after been a customer for over 12yr i now refuse to go in to listen to barstaff obscene language and waiting 15min while staff finish thier cig

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jan 4 - 2014 »
after been a customer for over 12yr i now refuse to go in to listen to barstaff obscene language and waiting 15min while staff finish thier cig

Have you complained about both of your points to the manager? You should give them a chance to right any wrongs that you may have.

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jan 6 - 2014 »
As I said, since the ladndlady was the culprit, it didn't seem worth it. The other two girls who work there are both foul-mouthed cigarette-smoking people who would get sacked on the spot if Humph saw/heard them. I did mention it to one of the bar staff a while ago. She agreed with my sentiments, but has not changed.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Apr 13 - 2014 »
I've heard that the York Arm's is closed for a refurb, can anyone confirm this.

Update,   Forget about it, the information was from last year.   That will teach me to look at the date on posts. :::K
« Last Edit: Apr 13 - 2014 by ian »

Offline iran88

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jun 19 - 2014 »
the pub is nice and the bar lady named chriss is very pleasant and happy no problem at all with the York arms and attractive bar staff

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Aug 18 - 2014 »
This is stupid. I've been a regular for many years at this pub, only going somewhere else when the incumbents were unreasonable.
I started going in again last October after the refurb. I enjoyed it.
Recently, one of the bar staff, Lance, has been well iffy with me, to the point of being extremely rude. His foul language has been bad enough, and I have complained to the landlord /landlady three times about his behaviour to me.
Last week, after getting yet another flat pint, I asked him to do something about it. I got a load of abuse. I complained about it to the landlord, who assured me the problem had been sorted out.
The next night I was in, I sarcastically mentioned I'd got a decent pint, and Lance flew off the handle. Telling me he was going to report me to the landlady, he went upstairs, and the landlady came down.  And she backed him!
He told her I have been barred in the past (a total lie), and he told her he would not serve me if I went in the pub again!
Bearing in mind I have done nothing wrong (unless you count making a sarcastic comment a crime), I can only go in when Lance isn't working.
I went in Saturday lunchtime with no problem and again on Saturday night.
Now I can't go in on my normal Sunday night, Monday night, Wednesday night or any other shift he is working.
Is this silly or what?
Should I let Taddy towers know?
I can assure everyone I have done nothing wrong, not been abusive, not given any reason why I shouldn't be in the pub.
I look forward to your comments.

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #54 on: Aug 18 - 2014 »
'Should I let Taddy towers know?'

You probably just have.  :_o

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Aug 19 - 2014 »
This is stupid. I've been a regular for many years at this pub, only going somewhere else when the incumbents were unreasonable.
I started going in again last October after the refurb. I enjoyed it.
Recently, one of the bar staff, Lance, has been well iffy with me, to the point of being extremely rude. His foul language has been bad enough, and I have complained to the landlord /landlady three times about his behaviour to me.
Last week, after getting yet another flat pint, I asked him to do something about it. I got a load of abuse. I complained about it to the landlord, who assured me the problem had been sorted out.
The next night I was in, I sarcastically mentioned I'd got a decent pint, and Lance flew off the handle. Telling me he was going to report me to the landlady, he went upstairs, and the landlady came down.  And she backed him!
He told her I have been barred in the past (a total lie), and he told her he would not serve me if I went in the pub again!
Bearing in mind I have done nothing wrong (unless you count making a sarcastic comment a crime), I can only go in when Lance isn't working.
I went in Saturday lunchtime with no problem and again on Saturday night.
Now I can't go in on my normal Sunday night, Monday night, Wednesday night or any other shift he is working.
Is this silly or what?
Should I let Taddy towers know?
I can assure everyone I have done nothing wrong, not been abusive, not given any reason why I shouldn't be in the pub.
I look forward to your comments.

Well, having had a quick look back through this thread, it appears as though your not the only one to complain about swearing by staff, poor beer and poor service.
However, by writing to the brewery I doubt it will have much impact. It will get mentioned to them (managers) about any letter but that's about as far as it goes unless there is multiple letters all saying similar.
But don't let me put you off!

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Aug 19 - 2014 »
Seems that several pepple are unhappy with the pub & management & staff running it. May have to check it out myself soon. Seemed ok on last visit. Might have been luck on my visit.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jun 30 - 2015 »
They got a new member of staff last December. An antipodean, who has a BO problem.
He constantly served me flat beer, and when I complained, I eventually got a load of abuse. He w
as so annoyed with me (even though he inability so serve decent beer is the problem), that he stopped talking to me. And I'm talking simple stuff, like please and thank you.
I stopped going in when he was working, which is a shame, sine I can only go in at weekends.
I popped in just over a week ago, and I sarkily asked him if he was going to say thank you. He flew off the handle, and told me he wouldn't serve me again. The landlady was called, which was strange since her husband, the landlard saw what happened.
And they backed the barman !
An arsehole who hasn't got the manners to say please!
They've had enough of my money with their sh*t service and sh*t beer.
I now go elsewhere.
Shame 'cos I liked them both.