• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The Anerley Arms - Location: Anerley
« on: Mar 7 - 2008 »

Name: The Anerley Arms - Location: Anerley

Address: 2, Ridsdale Rd, Anerley, London, SE20 8AG [020 8659 5552]
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Re: The Anerley Arms - Location: Anerley
« Reply #1 on: Jul 4 - 2011 »
No street view is available for this pub.  You can see how extensive the building is.

Google Maps: The Anerley Arms

DB.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 4 - 2011 »
I went to The Anerley Arms in May of this year.  I was told it was the former railway hotel, as it is adjacent to Anerley (Overground) railway station and the size was befitting.  The top floor of the building is meant to be unused and semi-derelict. 

Superb old dark-wood panelled pub and bar, with a curved bar area that runs between the saloon and public.  The bar-length (which was notably quite long) boasts an overhang with lead-light glass panels and a shorter, lower section of the same made into ?snob-screens?.

The lounge had green???? studded leather-backed surround settles and tables/chairs/barstools

I was also told that Humphrey Smith had the pool table removed, despite it making money and being in a seperate room to the left.  A few customers were in on the afternoon we went.  No cask ale available, although the Pure Brew lager was fine.

DB.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #3 on: Oct 3 - 2011 »
I went to The Anerley Arms in May of this year.  I was told it was the former railway hotel, as it is adjacent to Anerley (Overground) railway station and the size was befitting.  The top floor of the building is meant to be unused and semi-derelict. 

Superb old dark-wood panelled pub and bar, with a curved bar area that runs between the saloon and public.  The bar-length (which was notably quite long) boasts an overhang with lead-light glass panels and a shorter, lower section of the same made into ?snob-screens?.

The lounge had green???? studded leather-backed surround settles and tables/chairs/barstools

I was also told that Humphrey Smith had the pool table removed, despite it making money and being in a seperate room to the left.  A few customers were in on the afternoon we went.  No cask ale available, although the Pure Brew lager was fine.

DB.

Sounds like a another lovely old style pub. The seats must have looked pretty antique then. Don't suppose you took any photo's
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 3 - 2011 »

DB.

Sounds like a another lovely old style pub. The seats must have looked pretty antique then. Don't suppose you took any photo's

It was difficult to take any photos inside due to customers being present.  This pub now has a management couple vacancy.

DB.

Offline OnTheDrink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 3 - 2011 »
The Anerley Arms gets a mention in the Sherlock Holmes short story The Adventure of the Norwood Builder, where the main character, John Hector McFarlane, stayed the night.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 3 - 2011 »
The Anerley Arms gets a mention in the Sherlock Holmes short story The Adventure of the Norwood Builder, where the main character, John Hector McFarlane, stayed the night.

He won't be able to stay there again...apparently the top floor is derelict.

DB.

Offline ian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 3 - 2011 »
A photo of The Anerley Arms can been seen by clicking on.........................

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2193248

Went in last Dec for a pint, the manager was new only been there a month or two.  Looks like he was another one who did not make it past the 11 months mark.

ian.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 4 - 2011 »
Many of the pubs have derelict upstair apartments, it just so sad. So he definately won't be staying there ! Yes ian unfortunately not many managers are still in their pubs from last year. I can count on my hand the number that have passed the test.  :P
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Gummybody

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11 - 2011 »
Fine Pic of the pub, called in there last week. The manager was a yorkie who had a Sams pub in S Yorks before moving to the Anerley. Nice chap, another pub well worth a visit.

Offline norman byrott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22 - 2011 »
Very nice pub, well decorated without the ''churchy'' atmosphere you sometimes get. Busy enough and a friendly, regular crowd.
No Dark Mild, but there was the Yorkshire at ?1.85. Upstairs didn't look derelict, so perhaps it's been sorted or possibly I wasn't looking closely enough.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23 - 2011 »
Very nice pub, well decorated without the ''churchy'' atmosphere you sometimes get. Busy enough and a friendly, regular crowd.
No Dark Mild, but there was the Yorkshire at ?1.85. Upstairs didn't look derelict, so perhaps it's been sorted or possibly I wasn't looking closely enough.

I was told about the top floor being "unused and semi-derelict" by another manager.  My photo has no indication that it is in a bad state, but there are no curtains.

DB.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30 - 2012 »

I was told about the top floor being "unused and semi-derelict" by another manager.  My photo has no indication that it is in a bad state, but there are no curtains.

DB.

Not surprising with Humphrey's track record of derelict buildings and property portfolio. Just look at the state of Tadcaster.  :P

Offline ian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 2 - 2014 »
In the name of research for this forum I made a visit here tonight.    With a all 1-6 zone card it is easy to visit.

I went by DLR  photo #1 and the photo Overground #2

Nice pub and quite busy.   

Offline ian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 2 - 2014 »
The last two photos are of Anerley Overground Station and how close the pub is too it.