• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The Abbey - Location: Darley Abbey
« on: Mar 7 - 2008 »

Name: The Abbey - Location: Darley Abbey

Address: Darley St, Darley Abbey, Derby, Derbyshire, DE22 1DX [01332 558297]
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline Derbyshire OBB drinker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Abbey - Location: Darley Abbey
« Reply #1 on: May 7 - 2011 »
I used to stay over at a friend's house near this pub.  Lovely village suburb loaction, near the cricket club and the river.  It won a design award for it's conversion to a pub in the late 70's.  It was originally an out-building of the Abbey.  Nowadays it is the only part of the abbey complex to still be standing (albeit with a lean and a buttress to stop it falling onto the street).
Lovely sympathetic restoration of medieval interior with great A-frame beams in the roof of the upstairs bar.  It's a great centrepiece for the local community who don't have any other pubs in the immediate vicinity. Used to do good food too.
Sadly I've not been in for about 4 years as friend moved to Gosport in Hampshire.  The landlord began changing regularly by that time, and in between landlords the quality of the OBB used to go downhill.
I'm a little cautious about going back in case it's become a sad relic of it's former self.  It used to be one of my top 5 pubs.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20 - 2011 »
Found some old reviews of this pub....................

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/64656-The-Abbey-Darley-Abbey

Offline Derbyshire OBB drinker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21 - 2011 »
Hi Ian

Does this mean you didn't manage to get to the Abbey on your recent expedition.  What a shame.  It's a lovely and interesting building, a shame they don't always open the downstairs bar these days.  I think you'd like it.  Sam's converted it about 1978 and won an architectural award for it.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22 - 2011 »
It does indeed look a lovely and pub and not surprised that it won an award. Ian is there soon i think, so might have some pictures soon
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26 - 2012 »
I had to drive down to London last week :(  So I went via the A38 and Derby to visit The Abbey. Sorry to say I was too early and it was closed, but what a place. I will return when it's open.

Non-members can see some of these photos on.......... http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php?action=page;id=3

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27 - 2012 »
Looks a lovely pub Ian from your photos. Just wish you could have stayed and had a drink, to get some inside photos.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27 - 2012 »
Looks a lovely pub Ian from your photos. Just wish you could have stayed and had a drink, to get some inside photos.

I have to drive back down to the smoke again in a week or two so I'll try to tick it off the list on my way back.  I would like to visit the Windsor Castle while down there, but the logistics of getting there rules it out I think. It would take 6 buses to do the round trip from the hotel.   :(

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30 - 2012 »

I have to drive back down to the smoke again in a week or two so I'll try to tick it off the list on my way back.  I would like to visit the Windsor Castle while down there, but the logistics of getting there rules it out I think. It would take 6 buses to do the round trip from the hotel.   :(

You seem to be doing a lot of traveling to tick of the last few SS pubs that you have not visited. Getting 6 buses to tick of one pub sounds like a lot of effort for one pub. May be do it another day. How many have you visited now Ian ? I was talking to a guy in a SS pub a while ago that said he had been to 260 SS pubs. He didn't say whether he was a member or not.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30 - 2012 »

You seem to be doing a lot of traveling to tick of the last few SS pubs that you have not visited. Getting 6 buses to tick of one pub sounds like a lot of effort for one pub. May be do it another day. How many have you visited now Ian ? I was talking to a guy in a SS pub a while ago that said he had been to 260 SS pubs. He didn't say whether he was a member or not.

I had to go down to LHR to pick someone up and stayed at Heston Services on the M4.  So the Darley Abbey was not far out of my way.  Going back down to LHR in 2 weeks time so I'll try to pick it up then.

I've got 47 pubs to go, well the one's we know about.

For the record: One of our members as already visited all the pubs on DarkieBoys list.  But it is not up to me to tell everyone who it is.  I'm sure he/she will let us know when they are ready.

ian.
« Last Edit: Jan 30 - 2012 by ian »

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 2 - 2012 »

I had to go down to LHR to pick someone up and stayed at Heston Services on the M4.  So the Darley Abbey was not far out of my way.  Going back down to LHR in 2 weeks time so I'll try to pick it up then.

I've got 47 pubs to go, well the one's we know about.

For the record: One of our members as already visited all the pubs on DarkieBoys list.  But it is not up to me to tell everyone who it is.  I'm sure he/she will let us know when they are ready.

ian.

So not many more to go at then, obviously these are the ones that we know about. Glad to hear that one member has been to all the known SS pubs. I agree Ian it is not up to others members to tell. I am sure they will let us know.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13 - 2012 »
Driving down from Manchester to LHR I made a detour and it was well worth it.  I'm in love with this place   :D  What a pub it is.  I already planing my return, but this time staying in all night.

Sorry but all these photos will remain for members only.

Offline pint568

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 2 - 2013 »
Happy New Year to all...

I've been for a jar in the Abbey a couple of times over the Christmas period and from what I was told by a local, the incumbents (who appear to be doing a good job) are relief staff filling in until the new management begin soon...

As for the former management couple, who I alluded to in a prior post (http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php/topic,3111.msg18683.html#msg18683), I've since learned that after 23 years at the pub they've moved to a nearby free house, the Duke of Clarence. The 'Duke' is one of many former Kimberley pubs in the area that Greene King, since purchasing Kimbo's (or Hardy's and Hanson's if you like) in 2006, have sold off and have re-emerged as promising free houses selling good ranges of local beers... I've not been in since but I've heard promising things about it...

Offline pint568

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31 - 2013 »
Another update. Having popped in t'other day for a jar it looks as though the downstairs bar (the Undercroft) is going to be opened full-time. A notice stated that the pub will closed for a day or two in the next week or so for some work to be carried out after which the Undercroft will be opened. As I've mentioned elsewhere (http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php/topic,3111.msg18848.html#msg18848), I've never seen this bar open, certainly in the last 10 years, perhaps longer, so I for one will look forward to having a jar in there!