Author Topic: Ping pies  (Read 12244 times)  Share 

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Re: Ping pies
« Reply #15 on: May 20 - 2010 »
Our hotel is nearby to the Ye Olde Swiss  Cottage and the Ordnance Arms.  I can see myself popping into them while my wife unpacks the bags. :P

ian

PS Forgot to mention, that the Ordnance Arms is an excellant open plan pub but not to big. Very popular, especially on a Friday night early doors when you can watch and listen to how the other half Live and i don't mean the Lads from the barracks.
The Robert Browning has a very fine Thai resturant upstairs so if you would like to suggest a meal for two, too her indoors it is a 5-6min mini cab ride from the OA ;)

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #16 on: May 20 - 2010 »
The Robert Browning also has a Bar Billiards table, as do quite a few of the SS pubs in London...interesting game.

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #17 on: May 20 - 2010 »
Thankyou for all the infor. I'm looking forward to to it.  With a bit of luck I'll be in 20 or so London SS pubs.

Today I've been in the Rugby in Hull. Standing room only, menus on table but no one eating.  Going into the one in Dewsbury  tomorrow, on our way to the real ale festival.

ian
« Last Edit: May 20 - 2010 by ian »

Offline RALPH73

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20 - 2010 »
thats funny, i heard the rugby tavern had hired a chef to help present the food presumably to make it look home-made. looks like thats not helping then either. what a waste of staff hours.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20 - 2010 »
Ralph73.  I've been in the Rugby quite a few times and I have never seen anyone eating.   

Re chef.  I would of thought the Rugby was to small to employ a chef.  Most are drinkers not eaters.

ian.

Offline RALPH73

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21 - 2010 »
my point exactly ian, thats why i said it was a waste of staff hours.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21 - 2010 »
Re chef and  The Rugby.  I overheard a conversation in the Rugby tonight.

Yes the Rugby as a "chef"  and he say's he is doing well. When someone ask him how  well he stated he had served 40 meals in 4 weeks.

I will leave it to you to do the maths.

ian.

Offline RALPH73

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21 - 2010 »
not sure what the going rate is for ss meals nowadays but 40 meals in 4 weeks at say 8 quid each = 320 quid minus chefs wages ?? doesnt sound very profitable to me.they've all gone mad.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21 - 2010 »
I could say more, but I will not on a open forum.

ian

Offline RALPH73

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21 - 2010 »
again i think i know how you feel i too would like to say a lot more but like a lot of people fear the consequences.

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22 - 2010 »
What do you mean you fear the consequences, Humph does'nt know who you are and even if he did he's not going to have you bumped off, he is'nt the Mafia.

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
« Reply #26 on: May 22 - 2010 »
Please rest assured - that no individual, or their location can be identified at this website - unless any information or clues are given within that persons posts.

Any errors made, can be rectified as each member can edit their own posts.

One of the principal objectives of this site, is to cater for freedom of speech, without the risk or worry from any form of brewery (or other) retribution.

This site should hopefully help stop the current alleged 'divide, bully, and conquer' regime - which has grown and prospered behind the curtain of secrecy - which is why Humps probably hates this site so much, and would appear to fiercely challenge any other media source, be it the papers or the BBC.
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22 - 2010 »
Been to six SS's pub today from 12 till 3pm.  No one was eating in any of then while we was in.

Radcliffe arms. 12 to 12-15

Harewood Arms 12-15 to 12-30.

Railway Inn  12-45 to 1-05   No one eating but a lovely smell of food.

Crown Inn  1-20 to 1-22.  Yes that's right 2 minutes. :D

Fox and Hounds 2-10 to  2-25

Admiral Hawk 2-30 to 2-45.

ian.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22 - 2010 »
Was talking to a Lady on the bus today, she was telling us about a Mothers day meal she had in a SS pub Two years ago.  She said it was so bad that they asked for there money back.  They got it, also sent a letter to SS's but got no reply She also told us that none of the locals ever eat in the SS pubs anymore.

Do not know if I should name the Pub on this website?  Advice needed on that one please.

ian.
« Last Edit: May 23 - 2010 by ian »

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
« Reply #29 on: May 22 - 2010 »
Do not know if I should name the Pub on this website?  Advice needed on that one please.

I suppose one consideration is; who is responsible for the poor food - the managers of that venue, or the brewery 'ping pie' policy? I would guess the latter, and therefore no innocents (at that pub) should get any blame (unless they were not following the reheat and serve instructions - but that would possibly be down to inadequate training), however, wherever the fault lies, I guess Humphs would blame either the management - or even the publics' poor taste. So I would suggest giving the management the benefit of doubt, and not publicly name the venue.
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.