Author Topic: getting the boot  (Read 7426 times)  Share 

Offline gazgriff

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
getting the boot
« on: May 26 - 2010 »
i have run a pub for smiths for ten months and the other day hump walked in and gave me my 4 weeks notice. the reason for this was that because his beer has gone up by 6% this year my turnover should have also. he even put my job in the paper before telling me. i have a eight month old son and now got to find job and home in two weeks. this pub has had 6 managers in 6 years. cheers pal. people tell me i will find it hard to get my bond and wages owed of him. any comments anyone.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Re: getting the boot
« Reply #1 on: May 26 - 2010 »
Hi there,

I am truly sorry to hear about your circumstances.  Unfortunately, it's something similar to what I've heard a number of times before.

This is a collection of information which may prove useful regarding your rights: http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php/board,14.0.html

This link may be of particular importance to you: http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php/topic,291.0.html

If you have any useful information that you would like to share on here, then feel free to do so.  However, be aware that THE HUMP is believed to read this forum and also please don't post anything that is derogatory or offensive - just facts, otherwise posts will be edited (not that I think you'll do such things).

Good luck,

DB.
« Last Edit: May 26 - 2010 by DarkieBoy »

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26 - 2010 »
Something I've just noticed...if you are a manager, in employment to Samuel Smiths, why do you have to provide a bond?

DB.

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #3 on: May 26 - 2010 »
As mentioned by DB, this seems to becoming a usual trait, and suggestions have been made that Humphs seems to be getting rid of managers at or around one years service, using a variety of the same 'excuses'.

I would suggest that turnover is not completely in the control of a manager (especially with one hand tied behind ones back), and in fact many other influences contribute, including external circumstances, brewery policies, and lack of training. Therefore I would suggest that the dismissal is 'unfair' and that it be challenged to seek compensation (rather than re-instatement - risk of further bullying). The brewery provides a fund for managers to take legal action, and also free advice and support is available from ACAS.

It's about time this kind of unjust, unfair, and inhumane behaviour - was stopped. If not, sooner or later Humphs is going to risk upsetting the wrong kind of person, resulting in personal injury at the very least.

It really does amaze me that in this day and age, someone can get away with causing so much harm to others, let alone allegedly breaking numerous laws!

One final note; It's by no surprise that Humphs hates any form of publicity, and goes the extra mile in trying to silence the truth, and gag his victims. I would probably offer him the opportunity to make an out-of-court compensation settlement for your silence, or approach the media, and see what the public's verdict is regarding the antics of H Smith.

Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #4 on: May 26 - 2010 »
Something I've just noticed...if you are a manager, in employment to Samuel Smiths, why do you have to provide a bond?

DB.
A manager recently told me that it was in their contract of employment that all SS managers have to pay a bond of ?1500. This is apparently to account for losses, deficits, theft, disgruntled managers doing a runner, etc.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26 - 2010 »

DB.
A manager recently told me that it was in their contract of employment that all SS managers have to pay a bond of ?1500. This is apparently to account for losses, deficits, theft, disgruntled managers doing a runner, etc.

I'm in the licensed trade myself and I haven't heard of anything like it before.

DB.

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #6 on: May 26 - 2010 »
Probably shows a distinct lack of trust in his managers by covering himself in that way.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26 - 2010 »
Probably shows a distinct lack of trust in his managers by covering himself in that way.

I'm inclined to agree.  Paranoia isn't good.

DB.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26 - 2010 »
Bonds used to be commonplace for managers of most brewers operating managed houses. I worked in the 80's for Newcastle-based Sir John Fitzgerald who run a chain of free houses and all the managers paid a bond of about (if I remember right) ?500. Mind, everyone thought that SJF was stuck in the 19th century at the time. They've moved on a lot and are a progressive modern company (still a Private Limited Company though - but no relation to Sams) but they were never anywhere near as bad as Sams are now!

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27 - 2010 »
Bonds used to be commonplace for managers of most brewers operating managed houses. I worked in the 80's for Newcastle-based Sir John Fitzgerald who run a chain of free houses and all the managers paid a bond of about (if I remember right) ?500. Mind, everyone thought that SJF was stuck in the 19th century at the time. They've moved on a lot and are a progressive modern company (still a Private Limited Company though - but no relation to Sams) but they were never anywhere near as bad as Sams are now!

Fair dos...maybe I'm a little too young to remember so far back!  Not heard of Sir John Fitzgerald, so I had a look at their website: http://www.sjf.co.uk.  They do look progressive, and seem to have some nice looking pubs.  If I'm ever up that way, I'll look them up.  It was interesting to see that they list "Pubs and Bars" seperately from "Food pubs".

Cheers,

DB.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27 - 2010 »
Yes, the food pubs aren't really any good for just nipping in for a pint, but if you want a good meal at a fair ( not cheap ) price you won't go wrong. All of the pubs and food pubs sell cask and it's consistently good. Their most famous pub is the Crown Posada just off newcastle quayside. Coffin shaped, unspoilt gem and newcastle's oldest purpose built pub.