Author Topic: The Angel and White Horse - Location: Tadcaster  (Read 61893 times)  Share 

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Angel and White Horse - Location: Tadcaster
« Reply #135 on: Feb 13 - 2014 »
Thanks Bitterboy, I must admit I've never heard of it, but sounds like it's worth a visit.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Feb 17 - 2014 »
It is worth a visit,when I was there you could pay a surcharge and take any bottle up to the bar and drink it,I think it was ?1 when I had a stingo or two!.Shoulder of Mutton at Appleton Roebuck has Stingo,number 21 bus from opposite york station at 11:11 will get you there about twelve ish,14:12 back to york,closed Tuesday lunch.
« Last Edit: Feb 20 - 2014 by bitterboy »

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Mar 17 - 2014 »
I worked in Taddy a couple of times over the past 3 years and this was the pub I always used to go in after work. Vibrant crowd, good laugh, no hassle. I understand someone from Sam's didn't like it, so the landlady, Sandra, got shoved sideways to the Falcon.
The  pub got a refurb sometime last year.
I went in last October and the pub, at half seven on a Monday, was empty.
I had to be in Taddy today so I went in to see what it was like. Empty is the best word to describe it.
Around about 1.15 2 girls and a fella came in for something to eat. They were told they sold food until 6, so there was no rush.
They eventually ordered 3 meals. After 10 minutes a twig with blonde hair came over to clear the plates, and, on seeing one of the women had left half her meal, asked if everything was OK. The girl told her that half the food was cold. The twig said she would ask the chef why.
And that was it. No apology, no refund, no nothing. To my amazement they ordered sweets, but only after been told the chef may or may not still be working. If he was supposed to be working until 6, where was he?
They finish there sweets and left immediately, and they were not pleased.
I went to the loo,and realised, that at twenty past two, there were only about 3 people in the pub.
I assume the Angel is the flagship pub in Taddy for the beer and food.
God help us.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Mar 19 - 2014 »
I worked in Taddy a couple of times over the past 3 years and this was the pub I always used to go in after work. Vibrant crowd, good laugh, no hassle. I understand someone from Sam's didn't like it, so the landlady, Sandra, got shoved sideways to the Falcon.
The  pub got a refurb sometime last year.
I went in last October and the pub, at half seven on a Monday, was empty.
I had to be in Taddy today so I went in to see what it was like. Empty is the best word to describe it.
Around about 1.15 2 girls and a fella came in for something to eat. They were told they sold food until 6, so there was no rush.
They eventually ordered 3 meals. After 10 minutes a twig with blonde hair came over to clear the plates, and, on seeing one of the women had left half her meal, asked if everything was OK. The girl told her that half the food was cold. The twig said she would ask the chef why.
And that was it. No apology, no refund, no nothing. To my amazement they ordered sweets, but only after been told the chef may or may not still be working. If he was supposed to be working until 6, where was he?
They finish there sweets and left immediately, and they were not pleased.
I went to the loo,and realised, that at twenty past two, there were only about 3 people in the pub.
I assume the Angel is the flagship pub in Taddy for the beer and food.
God help us.

I too have been in quite a  few times this year and the policies seem to change on each visit. Used to be a busy and lively pub, not now. Hardly anyone appears to go in and not much food seems to be served either. It is such a pity that Malcolm & Sandra got shifted to the Falcon, it was that or leave SSOB. Yes the Angel & Whitehorse is the flagship pub for Tadcaster, in looks but not in business I guess.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Drinker1

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Mar 20 - 2014 »
flagship lmao ....  and why has the food gone from a lot of the ss pubs in tad and the angel has kept it ... lol ... Tadcaster people eat anything rather than nothing????

Better off at the Coach & Horses ... real food real people and decent wine

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Mar 21 - 2014 »
flagship lmao ....  and why has the food gone from a lot of the ss pubs in tad and the angel has kept it ... lol ... Tadcaster people eat anything rather than nothing????

Better off at the Coach & Horses ... real food real people and decent wine

Nobody seems to have the answer, other than trying to make the Angle & Whitehorse look better on the food league table.  ::H The Coach & Horses is a lovely pub and meals are very good. 
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Bitterlover

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Mar 22 - 2014 »
After a search on google for the Angel I came across this thread by pure accident, I was taken back  to read the last few comments especially when I felt they were biased and untrue. after a moment of reflection We (my wife and I) decided to register and have our say.....
 I must point out that I am and have always been a SS customer most of my life, never worked for the brewery but love the pubs and the beers.
After reading "Owens" and "Oldbrewerydrinkers" very negative and obviously biased point of views of the Angel I neede to share my version of that same days events because it seems we were in 2 different pubs called the Angel and White Horse in Tadcaster on the very same day!!
I must state I stopped, (as did my wife a year or so before me) going into the Angel as many others did because of the appalling carry on and foul language allowed by the previous landlords. The new landlords (I will not name out of respect) have turned in a very short while what I had labelled a dive into an establishment to be proud of, my wife and I regularly go there again with our friends and the place is thriving and packed when most pubs in town are just turning over. There is a clean, fantastic and proper pub atmosphere there now, Friday and Saturdays are heaving and If you consider the Angel quiet on a week day god help any of the others in town. I can say that the Angel is without a doubt the busiest pub in town hands down.
As for the food unlike what you stated they are infinitely busier than the previous landlords who apparently did close to 0 in food before them. The food is much better than the coach and horses by far and the service at the Angel is top as is their pricing. I also feel from your post that the way you describe the staff leaves to be desired, it shows your obvious contempt for the Angel and those who work there?
You seem much more attentive to others around you prying for your bit of daily gossip. You see, going back to my previous statement, I was there Monday afternoon at 12:30pm with a group of 6 and the Angel was very busy indeed, in our room by the big fireplace we were 12-14 having food so you are totally unfair in your description of  the Angel that day. You say someone complained but then ordered sweets...... Anyone upset would never order sweets to boot and only then walk out in a huff. Think of it for a second. You believe your own lies too well.
It seems that you don't feel comfortable in the new Angel and rightly so with that attitude maybe you shouldn't make yourself too comfortable! May I suggest you remain in the coach and horses when you come to Tadcaster or the falcon for that matter and leave the Angel to those of us who support her wholeheartedly and are happy to have her back to her former glory...

Offline Mr Taddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Mar 23 - 2014 »
Now that's what I call a reply.
Well said its nice to hear 2 sides and on the same day, what a coincidence.

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Mar 29 - 2014 »
I did nothing more than describe what happened  in the pub while I was there. I got in about 12.45 and there were no more than 3 people in. If there were more, they were hidden somewhere. As for the people who complained about the food, one of the guys actually said his meal was excellent, and on that basis, the two ladies with him ordered sweets. To accuse me of shoing contemppt to the bar staff. yes, I suppose I did, because the twig was a disgrace; I've worked behind many a pub bar in my time, and her attitude was unbelieveable.  Humph would have sacked her on the spot if he had been there.
I rarely go in the coach, so I can't comment.

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Aug 4 - 2015 »
Yet another new couple has taken over here.They seem pleasant enough, and the pub seems to be getting busier once again. Food seems to be served as well again. Hope they stay and can get the place back up and running again. As it has been shut for a month or so now, think the other pubs in Tadcaster have benefited from the closure.Hard to get the customers back,once they decide to leave.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +17/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Aug 12 - 2015 »
Looking forward to going back to the Angel and White Horse, was so upset it has been closed on my recent visits to Tad. Enjoy seeing the beautiful horses in the stables and the roaring fire in winter.  Hope the food is on again as we have missed having our Sunday lunch there.  The Britannia is fine for drinking but we have always found the Angel offers better food.