Author Topic: The Buckles Inn‎ - Location: Bilbrough, York  (Read 42603 times)  Share 

Offline Coriolanus

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Buckles Inn‎ - Location: Bilbrough, York
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13 - 2011 »
This place is the living embodiment of how badly Humphreys policies have affected trade. It has been totally wrecked on all fronts by him, is right on his doorstep and still he refuses to believe it is his fault. It can only be the managers that are not pulling their weight and so they carry the can time and time again. I am beginning to believe he will go to his grave never understanding that his efforts to make Sams more profitable in the modern age have in actual fact had the opposite effect in most cases.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13 - 2011 »
I remember this as a busy lively pub many years ago and now is a shell of its former self. Such a pity with the present management couple been so nice and pleasant. As to some of the managers that are appearing in Sam's pub's at the moment. Just wonder who the next couple will be.

I believe they leave a week Tuesday.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 24 - 2011 »
New managers have started here apparently. They have moved from a pub in the Dewsbury area I believe.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19 - 2012 »
Found myself driving past today, so I popped in for a quick half. We was the only ones in at the time.  My wife wanted ice in her drink so while the manager went "out back" for it, I had a quick dash around the place.

Non-members will be able to see some of these photos in a day or two.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20 - 2012 »
Having been past this pub a number of times in October I cannot see how it can make a profit at all - it must be losing money hand-over-fist.  There is no (or little) customer base - no chimney pots, so it relies all-but entirely on passing trade.  Bilbrough itself is a distance away and why would anyone walk to The Buckles Inn‎ when the village has the quaint Three Hares Inn with four real ales?
The trade that it could get would be Sunday lunches.  I do not think that the current food offering is good enough to build the reputation needed for people to get in their cars and drive to it.

DB.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21 - 2012 »
I have been past and also inside and it never seems very busy at all. Not doing much food on Sunday, as you might expect from this type of pub. Apparently it takes less than a grand a week for a pub that size is not good.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 5 - 2012 »
The managers of 11 months have been sacked and as left last week.   No comment. 

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 4 - 2012 »
I believe the managers here that were sacked have now been reinstated after doing gardening work. Seems a little odd to me. But also glad that there is some stability out there in SS pubs.

Anyone got any more local knowledge of the situation ? Thought there was a few members from the area.

Bitterboy

• Non-Member
« Reply #23 on: Dec 4 - 2012 »
Seems The Buckles does get busy,well once a month anyway!. North Yorks Lotus Owners Club still meet there!.Wonder how many we're there on 27th November.

www.nyloc.org/

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 4 - 2012 »
Seems The Buckles does get busy,well once a month anyway!. North Yorks Lotus Owners Club still meet there!.Wonder how many we're there on 27th November.

www.nyloc.org/

I believe that other groups also use the pub. Is the same manager there still ?

Offline Johnbob

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
The Buckles Inn‎ - Location: Bilbrough, York
« Reply #25 on: Dec 4 - 2012 »
yeah still the same manager, I think his wife has died tho right?

well I'm sorry if I'm wrong but I seem it posted on this forum ?!

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 4 - 2012 »
yeah still the same manager, I think his wife has died tho right?

well I'm sorry if I'm wrong but I seem it posted on this forum ?!

That's good to hear that he is still there. His wife died a while ago now and will be missed. Hope Humphrey lets him keep his job at this pub or another SS pub.

Bitterboy

• Non-Member
Heard that he is going to a single manager house and couple going in,also entertainment license is back,also heard brownridge is going to be a store site for huge increase in bottle beer sales(no room at stamford or tad)and that humph has looked at another major chains upturn in food sales and found another supplier,angel refurb going ahead and while closed falcon will open and the Mayan calender ends on 21st so we are all screwed.Sadly nobody from brewery or the Mayan civilisation was available for comment.Will post facts when I am sure,off home now to eat mouldy crisps sitting on toilet with trots rueing the 9p percentage I've just put in Humphs pocket on my OBB.I give up
« Last Edit: Dec 5 - 2012 by Bitterboy »

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
Heard that he is going to a single manager house and couple going in,also entertainment license is back,also heard brownridge is going to be a store site for huge increase in bottle beer sales(no room at stamford or tad)and that humph has looked at another major chains upturn in food sales and found another supplier,angel refurb going ahead and while closed falcon will open and the Mayan calender ends on 21st so we are all screwed.Sadly nobody from brewery or the Mayan civilisation was available for comment.Will post facts when I am sure,off home now to eat mouldy crisps sitting on toilet with trots rueing the 9p percentage I've just put in Humphs pocket on my OBB.I give up

Yes heard he is going to another SS pub that is a single managers pub. Not sure about the entertainment license, shall have to ask around. But have heard that another supplier has been approached regarding the food. Not sure why he would want to reopen the Falcon, as all the pubs in Tadcaster are quiet enough. Without adding another outlet. He might well use the Sarahbrownridge factory for storage. Or another use.

Shall have to wait and see

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 5 - 2012 »
Sorry of topic but are we saying as fact that SB factory is to close or is it still gossip?