Author Topic: The Buckles Inn‎ - Location: Bilbrough, York  (Read 43851 times)  Share 

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The Buckles Inn‎
Tadcaster Rd
Bilbrough
York
YO23 3PW‎

Tel: 01904 706377

Google Map
« Last Edit: Sep 3 - 2008 by Admin »
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline alanwrigg

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Buckles Inn‎ - Location: Bilbrough, York
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23 - 2009 »
Surely this in Askham Richard ?

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23 - 2009 »
It,s just of the A64 isn,t 1t it can be seen from the road

Offline Coriolanus

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24 - 2009 »
Thats all it is now, seen from the road.
 It has been hammered as much if not more by the ludicrous policies of the brewery to an extent that most other companies would have long since closed it down. Mind you they wouldnt have let it slide so far into ruin in the first place would they? To deprive a pub which thrived on weddings / dinner dances of music was madness, but then to totally wreck what food trade they had left with the blandest microwave menu of all time was incomprehensible. The rumour about him banning coach parties the week of York races must have been a just a rumour ......wasnt it?

Offline beermaker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24 - 2009 »
Haven't been for ages, but I'm told the Hare and Hounds at Stutton has died a death. Another tragedy, if that's true. You had to queue to get in the car park at one time.
Anybody been in lately?

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24 - 2009 »
The Buckles was a flag ship at one time weddings with good food and service etc. what now a sunken ship,even the conferences they have with Persimmon (the builders ) wo,nt help much as they are partly owned by Sam,s.Sorry to see a place go down hill so much.

Offline moggy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25 - 2009 »
i thought the hare and hounds in Stutton was a tenancy, you used to have to phone up weeks in advance to get a table if you wanted to eat there, the food was superb and the tenants exceptional, i have spent many a happy night partying it at the Buckles, what a shame been to a few weddings there also and had a fab time. but who wants to go to a silent wedding the only music being the ping of the microwave. if this was not so serious it really would be funny,perhaps Caroline Aherne would like to do the script for a new comedy, set the scene a victorian town in the 21st century, a brewery being run by a schizophrenic Victor Meldrew, starring Uriah Heep as the conniving brother.(i must be on to a winner here)
only area managers left are extras on the muppets, or perhaps this new series could follow on from the league of gentleman,we could call it Hard times

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25 - 2009 »
Jesus....thinking that through it would make a cracking pantomime, you just need a loose script and all the characters are there...lol
Beware the toes you tread on today are not attached to the leg that supports the arse that you are gonna have to kiss tomorrow.

Offline tyke73

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27 - 2009 »
The other Sunday the Buckles opened at 12 noon and closed at 2.00p.m. with not one customer !? Also it does not even bother to open on a Monday !!??

Offline Sunday Diner

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14 - 2009 »
I used to eat Sunday lunch here regularly. There was always a crowd outside the door at 12 waiting to get in for lunch. Lovely food, beautifully clean pub and good beer. Not been for a year or more now since it fell foul of idiot Humph. I pass it regularly now around 12.30 - 1.30 on a Sunday and there are never more than THREE cars in the car park. If Humph dislikes nice pubs so much I don't see why he doesn't sell up to Mitchell and Butler. I'm sure they would be happy to peddle their plastic food under yet another brand name ;-)

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31 - 2010 »
Tried to tick this one off my list today, but I was to early so I move on.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26 - 2010 »
This is another lovely pub that has so much potential but not used. The bar at the front is long and thin, with 2 function rooms at the back, partioned off.Had a lovely long bar at the back and then 2 large windows,also had a small room at the back for meetings and things. Was made very welcome and the pint was very good. Shame the couple are moving.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21 - 2010 »
I understand that a new couple have taken over here.Anyone got anymore information?
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10 - 2011 »
Been past this pub today and it looked rather shut early in the afternoon. Anyone know whether the managers have left or in the process of leaving. Seems odd to be shut on a Wednesday lunchtime. Answers on a post card

Offline Baxy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13 - 2011 »
Been in here a few times recently and the couple running it are very pleasant.  That is possibly the reason that they have been given their marching orders by Humphrey.  Think they go in the next couple of weeks.
This was a brilliant pub years ago with wedding receptions, birthdays, christmas do's etc held there regularly, it was also a good stop for coaches going to the races and must have pulled in a very tidy profit. But now with no tellys, or music and the poor menu noone can be expected to run this enormous building and produce a profit.
I wish the next couple all the best but doubt that they will do any better