Author Topic: Dyneley Arms - Location: Pool In Wharfedale, West Yorkshire  (Read 28911 times)  Share 

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Dyneley Arms
Pool Bank New Road
Pool In Wharfedale
Otley
West Yorkshire
LS21 1ET

Telephone: 01132 842887

multiMap
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

madmummy

• Non-Member
The Dyneley Arms - Location: Pool-in-warfdale
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25 - 2010 »
The Dyneley Arms

Ample Parking, fantastic views, lovely enclosed beer garden althought it is no smoking in the beer garden.
« Last Edit: Jan 26 - 2010 by Max »

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Found this interesting article in the YEP - it sounds so typical of Sams that the landlord had to take them to court in order to get a payout for all the possessions lost in the fire.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/Register.aspx?ReturnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk%2Fnews%2FBrewery-pays-couple-three-years.1078405.jp

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
That case was 5 years go but the brewery behaved just the same as they do now and gave the usual no comment policy. Nice to see the couple settled down to a good job in Lincolnshire though so for once their was a happy ending.

Offline The Webmaster

• The Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths.info
Brewery pays couple three years after fire

Published Date: 07 July 2005

Legal action by landlord ends in ?32,000 payout

BY PAUL JEEVES

A pub landlord and his wife have finally received a ?32,000 brewery payout ? three years after losing all their possessions in a fire. Terry and Lyn Jones were lucky to escape with their lives when fire ripped through the Dyneley Arms at Pool Bank in October 2002.

Because of unsatisfactory refurbishment work carried out to the pub by brewery Samuel Smiths, the couple were unable to get contents insurance for their personal property.

And before the brewery could amend the situation, a design fault in the pub's new fire sparked the blaze that tore the picturesque hostelry apart.
Tony and Lyn, who had been at the pub for three years, lost absolutely everything in the fire.

Tadcaster-based Sam Smiths brewery gave the couple ?2,000 "goodwill" to allow them to buy some clothes and also housed them in an unused pub cottage.

Offer

They were also offered relief management work which they accepted, even though it meant a lot of travel across the country.

But then the brewery told Tony that his contract at the Dyneley Arms had run out and instead he would be put on a relief-manager's salary which he claims was worth ?5,000-a-year less.

The couple decided they could not afford the offer and left the business but continued to demand a compensation for their lost possessions.
However, with the pub laying empty, no payment was forthcoming and the couple were finally forced to launch legal action.

They have now finally received ?32,000 to restart their lives.
Tony, 48, who is now managing a golf club in Lincolnshire, said: "It has been a real long haul but we have got there in the end. We cannot really believe how we have been treated and just feel relieved to have finally got some money so we can start replacing everything we lost."

The Victorian pub is currently boarded-up although plans have been submitted to return it to its traditional 1908 layout.

A spokesman for the brewery refused to comment on the matter.

paul.jeeves @ ypn.co.uk

Source: Yorkshire Evening Post
If it's not broken - it's been fixed!

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
There are further signs that things might be changing for the better at certain pubs - apparently the Dyneley Arms are curently advertising for 'waiting staff'. I presume food sales might be improving due to the re-introduction of Sunday lunches etc.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
This is lovely pub that has had alot of money spent on it, i believe its just under ?3m. Has lots of small rooms for a quiet drink and a larger room for looking at the brilliant views. It also has a function room which wasn't used the last time i went in. The beer was ok and the service was friendly and welcoming.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

ant

• Non-Member
even the nags head can advertise waiting staff,it means nothing,

ant

• Non-Member
this news is so so old,infact this site is losing momentum, and VERY FAST ,like an old graveyard,max sort it out please????

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
this news is so so old,infact this site is losing momentum, and VERY FAST ,like an old graveyard,max sort it out please????

Ant.  All forums go though there slow periods it's just how it go's mate. 

Maybe you get frustrated by being a manager.  You are on the other side of the bar to us customers, and I can see that some of the light hearted posts can get on your nerves. 

ian.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
I believe that the Managers Debbie and Adam have gone from here not sure whether they were sacked or just left. A new manager called Morris has taken over, if i have time this week, i will drop by to see what the situation is.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline dogsbody

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
Im ex manager was sacked still dont know why dont really care better off without starting my own business in Otley soon.  Show Mr Smith how to run a pub properly!!!! Its Andy by the way!!! Ha Ha!!

Offline dogsbody

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
I have been a publican for 18 years, in October last year I was unfortunate enough to be offered one of Mr Smith's 'Flagship' pubs.  We tripled the take within 6 months then Mr Smith took over as our area mis-manager.  His opening comment to me was quote "your pub is full of common people".  I was completely gobsmacked and that was the begining of the end of my time with the company.  I was told that this man was eccentric, he is not he is completely mad and seems to be waging a one man war against his own company,  people said that Fran was evil, he was my area manager for 6 months and he was fantastic to us nothing was too much trouble, people who slag him off need to understand that he only followed orders from Mr Smith and the dealings I have had with Mr Smith I can understand why Fran's actions caused problems.  There is no logic to Mr Smiths actions he is completely void of any emotion doesn't give a toss about you, your family and definatley not the customers.  Mr Smith needs to wake up and realise that it is HIM that is ruining his company not the Managers,  if he actually listened to his Managers & Customers instead of hovering above them on his cloud he rides on, he may see that we can do our job if he took our handcuffs off and allowed us to do our jobs!  And by the way I worked for the company for..........................................wait for it!...11 Months!!

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Sadly an all too familiar story - but the bit about "your pub is full of common people" really puzzles me! Firstly, with Humphrey keeping the price of beer as low as possible, the 'common man' is his core business FFS! But secondly, if we are talking about the Dyneley Arms here, it is indeed a flagship pub and the 'common man', or woman for that matter, doesn't live within miles of the place! This is a posh area, a short drive from Leeds Bradford Airport and an ideal place for business suited types, women 'who lunch' and illicit relationships. The man is indeed barking - hope the new venture in Otley goes well - it's not by any chance the new real ale pub is it - close to Wetherspoons? 

Offline exmerch

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re Otley
I've heard the new venture is yet another of those outstanding Market Town Taverns, believed to be the Cross Keys. Consistently fine ale , well kept by knowledgable staff and not a sign of Humph, who wouldn't know what a good pub is anyway!!!!
Ex Merch.