Author Topic: Advice please, we are considering becoming a management couple  (Read 16466 times)  Share 

Offline Coriolanus

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Well said Max, and welcome back, I was beginning to think you were wearying of this site, I should have known better.
Just to add my tuppeneth, I have seen my 3 local Sams houses reduced to a shadow of their former selves: in two instances what were strong food led houses are hardly doing any meals at all now, and have been through numerous managers in the last few years, and the manager at the third is clearly jaded, lacking motivation and is (when you talk to him on the quiet) very worried what the next actions of Mr Smith will be, not only in regards to his own employment which HS has threatened repeatedly, but also with regards to the business itself which is being hampered at almost every turn by the ludicrous policy decisions made by the brewery owner. The only weapon in your arsenal is the cheap good quality beer which is a big asset but not the be all and end all when you dont have enough staff to serve it or clean the pub or anything else.
Unless you are an investigative reporter , dont get involved. Unless you suffer from sado masochistic tendancies, in which case please apply. I have personally seen two managers pushed to the point of breakdown by this madman, one of which I know for sure is still on antidepressants a year after she left. If you read through this site you will find plenty of other intances of employees pushed to the brink. They cant all be hopeless cases worthy of such persecution and sacking can they?
On another note, have you found any truth in these stories linking HS on variious levels to a mental hospital, Max? I know his visits to pubs, general movements and looney decisions have been at a minimum for a couple of months....perhaps the men in white coats are catching up with him? 

Offline whistle

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
how many pubs / managers do ss have

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
how many pubs / managers do ss have

That is an official Samuel Smith secret and anyone caught divulging such information would be liable for instant dismissal.

About 450

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
dont do it just now would be my advice, i know there are dozens of time served very good managers still in the company,but are looking to other brewerys now for other pubs to manage due to company policys and bad treatment, and  to the fact hrw is employing just about anyone over the phone to start next day, then getting ripped off for a few (normally weekends)days takings ... then the rest of the managers get tarred with same brush ,untrusted and despised when we should treated so much better,and paid so much better :(

Offline shemon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
Big Jim .Im sure its nearer 650.  They've got 25 in and around London.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
37 in London.

Offline JAYJAY

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
37 in London.
i would like to know who i should hand my notice to and how long do i give please

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
i would like to know who i should hand my notice to and how long do i give please

I would imagine that the period of notice would depend on how long you have been with them, and probably the type of contract you have. Also, do you have any holidays owed to you?

I would also imagine that you would submit any notice of resignation to your area manager (could that be Humphs?) or to head office 'Taddy Towers'.
These are sad times :(

Offline JAYJAY

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile

I would imagine that the period of notice would depend on how long you have been with them, and probably the type of contract you have. Also, do you have any holidays owed to you?

I would also imagine that you would submit any notice of resignation to your area manager (could that be Humphs?) or to head office 'Taddy Towers'.
thanks only been 7 weeks but have been offered better set up [different company] and cant be here with the constant worry of how long before we have to leave or be sacked ...

Offline devastatedrelative

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
It should tell you in your contract of employment how much notice you have to give but I assume you haven't got one.  You are supposed to have one within 4 weeks of starting new employment. 

The norm is a month but I'm not sure what it is if you've only been there 7 weeks.  ACAS guidelines say at least one week after one month but it could be anythng between that and a month.  See http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1584

Post Merge: Oct 28 - 2010
It should tell you in your contract of employment how much notice you have to give but I assume you haven't got one.  You are supposed to have one within 4 weeks of starting new employment. 

The norm is a month but I'm not sure what it is if you've only been there 7 weeks.  ACAS guidelines say at least one week after one month but it could be anythng between that and a month.  See http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1584

Apologies.  I got my facts wrong.  You are supposed to have a contract of employment within two months of starting.  So I suspect you may only have to give a week.
« Last Edit: Oct 28 - 2010 by devastatedrelative »

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
I would imagine you would only have to give a weeks notice to the brewery (Humphrey). But you are probably better telling Linda Stuart as she seems to be co-ordinating the pubs at the moment.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline michael-OBB

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Staff
hi jayjay can u mention on here which co youre going too as i am nearly near 10 monthes and can feel the chop comming

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
Sorry that you feel that you are for the chop, so to speak shortly. If you want to you can send a private message between you and Jayjay, then others members would not know the details.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline egger

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
to anyone thinking of taking on a sam smiths pub, i have run pubs for over 21 years i am presently running a sam smiths pub my advise
to one and all think of something else like sky diving without a shoot, or testing land mines these apeal to me more

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
to anyone thinking of taking on a sam smiths pub, i have run pubs for over 21 years i am presently running a sam smiths pub my advise
to one and all think of something else like sky diving without a shoot, or testing land mines these apeal to me more

Things are that bad are they. Hear a lot of managers complaining about their lot, whilst others seem happy enough. So it's a very mixed bag.  :WF