Author Topic: Nun Appleton Hall left to rot?  (Read 2881 times)  Share 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Nun Appleton Hall left to rot?
« on: Sep 29 - 2014 »
Here are some photos of Nun Appleton Hall.   Speaking to people who use to visit the Hall for dances ect, it must have been a grand place in it's time.  Much of the surrounding area looks uncared for.   These photos maybe removed at anytime be me.

Offline Baxy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Nun Appleton Hall left to rot?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29 - 2014 »
It's disgusting g that someone has the money to buy this place then leaves it to rot.  The previous owners must be so upset that they sold it to HRS.

Offline blue stanley

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30 - 2014 »
Old Brewery Drinker had said on a previous thread about Nun Appleton Hall that Mr Smith had bought the property for his daughter Maude and I have heard that story too.
So I presume it will be left in this state until the day Maude wants to use it (if she ever does).

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30 - 2014 »
"Here you are Maud. I've bought you a big house and lots of estate to go with it, but it's all derelict. Enjoy!"

It's like one of us buying for a sproglet an old banger with bald tyres, no MOT, tax and insurance, and saying, "Aren't I generous?"

Tone

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 1 - 2014 »
Hopefully English Heritage will eventually put it on their Buildings at Risk register which might help the local authority force him to maintain it.  http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/advice/hpg/assistanceforowners/maintenance/  It would probably be a legal fight that he wouldn't win with any amount of lawyers.

There is no direct legal obligation on the owner of a heritage asset to carry out repairs. However, local and central government may force repairs to be carried out by using an urgent works notice on a listed building not in use, or to a part not in use, where the works are urgently necessary for its preservation. If the works are not carried out by the owner, the authority has the power to enter the property, carry out the works and seek to recover the costs from the owner.

Furthermore, a listed building may be compulsorily acquired by a local authority or the Secretary of State if it appears that reasonable steps are not being taken for properly preserving the building and it is expedient to make provision for the preservation of the building by authorising its compulsory purchase. The first step in such a procedure is the service of a repairs notice.