Author Topic: 5% surplus  (Read 10074 times)  Share 

Offline shemon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
5% surplus
« on: Dec 21 - 2010 »
I have been informed by Mr Smith that most of his pubs are achieving the required 5% surplus. These pubs have had no problems with weights and measures and everything is above board. If you are one of these pubs can you please tell me how its done.

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 5% surplus
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21 - 2010 »
When with the brewery (for 14 years) I could not bring myself to "cheat" the customer, therefore I think that my highest ever surplus was a one off 4.2%, the others were uniformly around the 3.5% to  3.7% mark.
You say Smiffie has told you that most of his pubs are achieving 5%, I think he is telling porkies.
You can't get a surplus on wine or spirits if you are dispensing correctly. You can't get a surplus on nuts and crisps etc.
You can however get a surplus on post mix, cordials, and draught beers and lagers.
Obviously the bigger the head on beers and lagers the bigger the percentage surplus margin.
To boost your surplus percentage you must slam ice into the postmix drinks whenever you can get away with it, you know like MacDonalds do, and don't fill them right to the top, leave a small deficit, you know to avoid spillage.
As for Cordial, you will have a cordial key on your till perhaps ?1.50 for a pint of orange cordial, instead of hitting this key, hit the splash key 5 times assuming its 30p a splash, the money is correct but you know yourself you haven't put 5 splashes of cordial into the pint pot, perhaps you have actually put 4 in giving you 1 shot i.e. 30p hidden profit towards your surplus, again bang some ice in.
Sam Smiths pots are brimfill, i.e. a pint to the top, therefore you can't dispense a pint of lager and lime or lager and black, you have to short measure the draught pint to accomodate the cordial, you must ensure that you charge for the splash thus a shorter draught product measure will increase your surplus.
You are allowed pump cleaning once a week, stretch this to (without fail I might add) every 10 days i.e. 3 times per month instead of four, you will then accrue a weeks pump cleaning allowance for nothing plus you will have sold what you would normally have thrown away at the cleaning process.
I might add to all this, never ever buy in your own stuff to mix or replace a product to enhance your surplus, not even cordials. Remember its not just your job that you will lose, its your home.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21 - 2010 »
popicock !!!!!!!

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22 - 2010 »
Your spot on blueboy.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22 - 2010 »
alot of the lively lagers and bitters can be sorted by adjusting your dials in the cellar accordingly ,easy to suss out to a time served intelligent manager with trade expierience

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17 - 2011 »
For the price and the quality of Sams beer I couldn't be nitty picking about a drop of beer, I like to have a creamy head on it of about half an inch, and if it helps a land lord to keep his business going then good, you'd need a lot of half inch heads on Sams beer to make up for the price in some pubs. :P

Offline JettaP

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18 - 2011 »
Very charitable of you whizz.... I guess when you go to Asda with Mrs Whizz to buy a dozen eggs you are happy to pay for 12 and accept 11 then?
All in the interests of keeping their business going?
« Last Edit: Jan 18 - 2011 by JettaP »
As they say in Oswaldtwistle " If you catch a weasel asleep, you can pi** in it's ear"

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18 - 2011 »
How can you equate helping a landlord make a living by not nit picking and apply the same to a multi billion concern such as Asda? I dont do it to keep a landlord in business full stop, I'm trying to point out that in cases like this, a little give and take helps, you are still on a winner on quality and price.

Offline JettaP

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18 - 2011 »
whizz ....try substituting "check out girl" for "landlord" and "Asda" for "Samuel Smith's Old Brewery" 

plus c?est la m?me chose
As they say in Oswaldtwistle " If you catch a weasel asleep, you can pi** in it's ear"

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19 - 2011 »
Are you saying that the check out girl has to meet targets? @#^$&** I cant do French.

Offline JettaP

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19 - 2011 »
merde whizz J?en ai ras-le-bol.

Maybe I should simplify things........?
Scrub Asda..... think
" Egg stall on Cleckheaton market" or the Open All Hours shop at the end of your road.
Would you accept 11 eggs but pay for 12 to keep their business going?
"Which bit of being short changed do you not understand?"
« Last Edit: Jan 20 - 2011 by JettaP »

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20 - 2011 »
I understand nit picking. Look, I buy my eggs from my son who keeps hens, I could ask for  a dozen from him, and pay him for a dozen, and get given 11, and still they would be a lot cheaper and be better quality than shop bought eggs, so, still good value for money, it all boils down to how much value you want, and at what cost, IE. no Sams manager, no Sams pub, no Sams beer, no sons chickens, no eggs, then we have to pay a lot more for our goods, so, I dont nit pick.

Offline JettaP

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20 - 2011 »
zut alors Whizz

As they say down on the banks of the Tinker Brook "They are not all locked up yet"

« Last Edit: Jan 21 - 2011 by JettaP »

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21 - 2011 »
How phsycic of you JettaP, my son, the one who keeps chickens is a DJ on our local radio station, one of his theme tunes is, Bring Me Sunshine, it must be something in the cheap beer. 8)

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21 - 2011 »
I think this thread is starting to be a bit of a slanging match and maybe best to admit we all see things in different ways.

I must admit I can see both sides of the argument. Yes when shopping I do want 12 eggs if I've paid for 12. In a pub if I buy a short then yes I want a full shot come what may. When I buy a beer then yes as long as the head is not too big (ie no more then 1/2 inch at the very most) then yes I will be happy, but then I'm from the north.

Last Wednesday I was talking about heads on beer and the 5% to some bar staff in London.  They told me that most customers wanted their beer with no, or very little heads. Me I would not what a beer with no head.

So to conclude, JettaP is right in saying he want's what he as paid for, and Whizz is right in saying he's happy to have his beer with a head on it.

I hope this make's sense.  ???

ian.

Edited by me, Spelling yet again :-[
« Last Edit: Jan 21 - 2011 by ian »