Author Topic: 5% surplus  (Read 9945 times)  Share 

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: 5% surplus
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21 - 2011 »
Spot on Ian, the bottom line is the customer (not Lord Hump) is King. If you want a top up just ask, I have never had a problem.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22 - 2011 »
Spot on Ian, agree with you entirely.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22 - 2011 »
Over-sized glasses.  The only true answer to this question.

DB.

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22 - 2011 »
DB - I disagree that oversized glasses are the only answer. Weights and measures should challenge Humps insane 5% surplus policy. Stop him bullying and all would be well.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22 - 2011 »
DB - I disagree that oversized glasses are the only answer. Weights and measures should challenge Humps insane 5% surplus policy. Stop him bullying and all would be well.

A measured glass would mean that there needs to be no discussion and debate between the bar staff and custom and you can see exactly how much beer is in the glass, in a similar way to that I, as a barman, have never been challenged over the level of wine in a wine glass...a measured glass!

I know that Samuel Smith's is not the only brewery to advocate 5%.  My personal experience tells me otherwise.

I agree, weights and measures should challenge, if they have not done so already.  However, the notices that are usually displayed in Samuel Smith's pubs giving the customer the option goes someway to negate any complaint, should the bar staff be complient.

DB.

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22 - 2011 »
Fair point and I can totally see where you are coming from. I would just like to see the relevant authorities clipping his wings and taking the onus off the hard working managers he continues to treat with contempt. Rant over - going back to my local. (Yes its a Sam's I am not completely barmy).

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22 - 2011 »
Here you are, Three I agrees from me:
(1) I agree that the falling out must stop. My motto is love thy neighbour (but don't let the wife find out)
(2) I agree that oversized glasses/line glasses are not the answer. The last time I worked with lined glasses was obviously on metered pumps, a flick of the switch and half a pint was dispensed, another flick and presto exactly a pint. However on close inspection of that pint, the fluid was just below the line, and the head was above. Some customers wanted a top up! However once the head had dissipated into liquid, the contents of the pint pot rose to the mark.
(3) I agree that Smith should be taken to task by weights and measures regarding the pressure he is putting on his staff, to insist on 5% is to ask staff to rob the customer.
There are many customers on this site who are happy with a 5% head, I am personally happy as a customer with that, I like a half inch head. There would be no  problem for staff if everyone liked 5% less beer in their pot. Unfortunately, there are many people who want topping up to a small head, now there you go, you are now losing your 5%. It doesn't take a mathematician to work out that if 50 people want a 5% head, and 50 people want 2.5% head, then over all you are not going to achieve the surplus required by Von Smith. Here endeth the lessen that managers and staff are trying to explain, and that is that 5% surplus is lawfully unachievable.