• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Re: Ye Old Blue Bell - Location: Hull
« Reply #15 on: Jun 1 - 2010 »
I went to this pub on Sunday...fantastic "local" atmosphere, fantastic pub, fantastic landlady and staff.

Bigger reveiw to follow.

DB.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 2 - 2010 »
This is my photo of Ye Old Blue Bell, Hull, copyright to me!  It's such a good pub and one of my favourite SS pubs.

DB.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 9 - 2010 »
PUB REVIEW:

This pub is an ABSOLUTE GEM! I can't praise it enough!

I walked along Silver Street and passed the end of Market Place and on to Scale Lane, looking for this pub, missing the turning, but found the Ye Olde Black Boy pub on High Street (popped in and had a quick look and noted it for future reference as it had a number of rooms and a number of cask ales).

Doubled back and found Market Place (it was only signed from one direction).  The Market Place resembled an ordinary street, not a place with a market, hence missing it the first time!

The Ye Old Blue Bell can be found down a narrow alleyway, behind Trinity Market and marked by a large blue bell on the market's front wall and signage over the entrance to the alleyway.

The pub itself is accessed off the left of the alley, either via the "beer garden"...I use the term loosely, as this consisted of an alley just wide enough to fit one picnic table in, and used, either officially or unofficially, as a smoking area.  It ran across the length of the front of the pub.  This doorway could be regarded as the main entrance.  A second entrance, which I used, was off the main alleyway, and took me into the main bar.  I was greeted by a jovial and welcoming barman, a lively atmosphere and a brilliant pint of Old Brewer Bitter at ?1.52.

THE MAIN BAR
The main bar was fairly large, well set out and full of customers.  A large number of jugs hung over the main bar, a significant collection of bells adorned shelves and other available spaces, and over a dozen "time bells" where fixed to the back of the bar.  The walls were decorated with numerous photos of Hull, Shipping and Hull FC.

SNUG
The pub has retained a snug room.  This was by far the quietest room in the pub, with just one customer sat drinking.  This room was carpeted, with walls decorated with photos of bells and bell making.

MIDDLE ROOM
This was a most basic room, although useful when the pub is busy.  It is mainly a  standing room with some stools, quite small, and able to accommodate perhaps ten or so people at the very most.  The floor was tiles and the walls were wood panelled.

LOUNGE ROOM
The lounge room was quite posh - in fact, I labelled it the "Posh Room" in my notes.  It has a real open fire in a large fireplace/mantle/fire-surround.  Again, this room was tastefully carpeted and the walls were adorned with photos of locals and Hull.

REAR DARTS ROOM
This was a lively room with basic fixtures and fittings, with darts being played.  The gents toilets could be found off this room.  The ladies toilets where located upstairs.

UPSTAIRS
This was not an area I visited, as a sign indicated that the games room was currently being refurbished.  I understood that this room would or does house a pool table.

GENERAL
This pubs was clean and well maintained, having been recently painted. Also, the fixtures and fittings were also kept clean, and this was noted in discussions with the landlady (even though she is a manager, she dealt with her customers as a landlady). The landlady was chatty, very pleasant and accommodating, as were her customers who helped to make me feel welcome.

The only downside to this pub was an unwanted customer, who was known for "acquiring" unwanted beer (and sometimes wanted beer).  He remembled

I certainly will be going back to Samuel Smith's Ye Old Blue Bell in Hull!

Google Street View: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Market+Place,+Hull&sll=51.753442,-1.259257&sspn=0.000557,0.001717&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Market+Pl,+Hull,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.74241,-0.333109&spn=0.000993,0.006866&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.742329,-0.333141&panoid=p40V4hNIn5DUJD1l1X75Iw&cbp=12,267.29,,0,0.5

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #18 on: Jun 15 - 2010 »
A photo of the beer garden at the back of Bluebell.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 15 - 2010 »
Ian, I seemed to have missed this bit when I visited it the other weekend...also Ian, does my review match your experience of the pub?

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 15 - 2010 »
Yes, Pool room upstairs, I have to say the gent is the worse gents of any Sam Smiths pub I have been in.

I use to go in once a week for 2 to 3 years.  They had some lovely sandwiches for sale, All fresh stuff from the market.  The photo is taken from the back way in, through the market.

ian.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 15 - 2010 »
Yes, Pool room upstairs, I have to say the gent is the worse gents of any Sam Smiths pub I have been in.

I use to go in once a week for 2 to 3 years.  They had some lovely sandwiches for sale, All fresh stuff from the market.  The photo is taken from the back way in, through the market.

ian.

I didn't notice anything especially bad or good about the Gents, just normal, otherwise I probably would have remembered.

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 15 - 2010 »
Well they must have been done up since last time I used them. Believe me you would have noticed.

ian.

ant

• Non-Member
« Reply #23 on: Jun 15 - 2010 »
hey up,nevermind humphrey clones, whatabout ian clones??? lol you certainly get around mate, ;)

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 15 - 2010 »
Ant, the most out of the way place I seen a bottle of Sam Smiths for sale is in the county of Skagit.  Now that is back of beyond.  ;D

Offline 9510michelle

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 4 - 2010 »
Visited here Saturday afternoon nice pub with plenty of local characters.  Massive games room upstairs with 2 pool tables.  Plenty of other little snug rooms to sit in.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #26 on: Aug 4 - 2010 »
we know all this,we have our own intrepid adventurer in the name of ian,who has enlightened alot of us lately, the actual number of managed sam smiths pubs is 358 thats without the clubs,pubs,events and export buisness,heaven only knows how this firm is getting better without all the area management,because it slowly is making progress back to the real world,there i go again talking in riddles,3 down michelle 355 to go ;D

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #27 on: Aug 4 - 2010 »
where the hells skagit???????????????????????????? ??? ???

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 4 - 2010 »
we know all this,we have our own intrepid adventurer in the name of ian,who has enlightened alot of us lately, the actual number of managed sam smiths pubs is 358 thats without the clubs,pubs,events and export buisness,heaven only knows how this firm is getting better without all the area management,because it slowly is making progress back to the real world,there i go again talking in riddles,3 down michelle 355 to go ;D

358 you say Ant?  I've got just over 300 on my list...any idea where the rest are hiding?

http://www.jamesgretton.co.uk/samuelsmiths/

DB.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #29 on: Aug 4 - 2010 »
not an inkling darkie, i just know the number ,when in a heated debate with wages one day the girl said "do you think ive got all day to sort this out theres another 357 sheets to sift through between here and down south" i only asked for hq,s postcode PMSL ;D no really only asked why staff wages were short week before