Author Topic: Ye Old Blue Bell - Location: Hull  (Read 21872 times)  Share 

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Ye Old Blue Bell - Location: Hull
« Reply #60 on: Apr 27 - 2013 »

Extract of the history of the Bell,

Sam Smith?s took over the pub in January 1985 when they sold Old Brewery Bitter at 64p. Sam?s refurbished the Blue Bell in November 1985 at a cost of ?50 000. Some of the alterations included a new bar and backfittings; new fixed seating in the bar; a complete redecoration of the lounge including Draylon upholstery; a larger service area into the lounge complete with handpumps; bar billiards moved from the cabin to the bar and the cabin turned into a snug with the loss of its sliding door. The pub reopened in February 1986 and the first pint was pulled by Sam?s architect, Mark Ewbank.

Full text can be found here.

http://www.rbarnard.karoo.net/Blue%20Bell.pdf

Offline Gunner194

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Aug 23 - 2015 »
Had a Brilliant Pint of OBB in here yesterday, shame it was spoilt by some god awful woman, whom i think, must of taught Chubby Brown how to swear. ::H

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Aug 24 - 2015 »
I was in Hull a few weeks ago, went to a show with my brother, who lives in Hull. As he's not very mobile and a recovering alcoholic, I legged it round town to visit the pubs. I also had a good pint of OB in the Bell. The interior is like a 60's throwback, to me. I like it, friendly folk. Ditto The Rugby Tavern, it was quite busy but is in real need of a tart up. The gem is The White Horse Inn ( Nellie's ), out at Beverly. Absolutely fantastic place - and an excellent pint. Although it's easy to miss from the main road, the pub that doesn't look a lot like a pub!

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +17/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Aug 26 - 2015 »
I get lost in Nellies never mind outside.  Each time I go to the toilet I seem to go one way and return by another, it's like being in an adults maze.  (had a bad experience a as a child due to my older brother dumping me in the middle of one).  I feel like tying string to myself and the table so I can find my way back.  So many knooks and crannies- well worth visiting, remember to take your torch!

Offline Gunner194

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Aug 26 - 2015 »
If You are still getting lost in Nellie's, it means you are not visiting enough! I just kept visiting until I got a feel for the place ;D

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +17/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Aug 27 - 2015 »
I keep feeling my way around the place, but living 40 miles away I have a reasonable excuse for not being there every day. Geography was never my strong point, but at least I can find my way into the pub, as long as I can get to a bar I'll survive!👍

Offline Gunner194

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sep 29 - 2016 »
Popped in last weekend,seems very steady and well populated for a Saturday :DDDD: afternoon.