Author Topic: HOT OF THE PRESS AND MUST BE BEGINING OF THE END  (Read 15454 times)  Share 

Offline alepaul

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: HOT OF THE PRESS AND MUST BE BEGINING OF THE END
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30 - 2011 »
Does anyone have any evidence of an overall blanket policy of excluding gays? eg a memo to managers? I don't think so.

Let's not forget, barstaff have the right to serve who they want at all times and to exclude anyone they want from their pubs. Obviously there are two isolated cases that people probably have in mind: John Snow which is a general point about kissing in public and the Old Red Lion which is about trying to encourage a smarter clientele regardless of sexuality.

There are loads of SS pubs where people of all orientation happily co-exist.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30 - 2011 »

Indeed. My local Sams pub being one of them. No-one overtly gay but several couples - male and female - who come in fairly regularly and just like anyone else, bother no-one.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #17 on: May 3 - 2011 »
Several Sams pubs that i go into regularly, have a good mix of people of different sexual oreientation or social groups.It makes a night in the pub a better one.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #18 on: May 4 - 2011 »
Several Sams pubs that i go into regularly, have a good mix of people of different sexual oreientation or social groups.It makes a night in the pub a better one.

Life would be somewhat boring if we were all the same.

DB.

Offline pintplease

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 4 - 2011 »

Indeed. My local Sams pub being one of them. No-one overtly gay but several couples - male and female - who come in fairly regularly and just like anyone else, bother no-one.

Your right but unfortunately The Old Red Lion in Leeds doesn't  fit in that category.

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 8 - 2011 »
A couple of weeks ago in the York arms a chap who I have spoken to before came and sat with us, he is past middle age, very smart,  pleasant,  witty, and gay. He has a partner who tends to get a bit jealous if he spends to much time chatting with us, but he also is witty and hams up his sexuality a bit, but It's all in good humour. Thats what pub life is all about.

Offline garybaldy72uk

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • BaldyRadio
« Reply #21 on: May 8 - 2011 »
A couple of weeks ago in the York arms a chap who I have spoken to before came and sat with us, he is past middle age, very smart,  pleasant,  witty, and gay. He has a partner who tends to get a bit jealous if he spends to much time chatting with us, but he also is witty and hams up his sexuality a bit, but It's all in good humour. That's what pub life is all about.

I'm very much the same witty charming talk to anyone Type of gay .... Open hearth scunny is a Smashing pub never had any hassle there cos of my sexual preference!

BTW Humph if you wanna Bar me youll have to Chase me first ..... Im kinky like that!!!
Gimme a pint of OB and im happy!

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #22 on: May 8 - 2011 »
A couple of weeks ago in the York arms a chap who I have spoken to before came and sat with us, he is past middle age, very smart,  pleasant,  witty, and gay. He has a partner who tends to get a bit jealous if he spends to much time chatting with us, but he also is witty and hams up his sexuality a bit, but It's all in good humour. That's what pub life is all about.

I'm very much the same witty charming talk to anyone Type of gay .... Open hearth scunny is a Smashing pub never had any hassle there cos of my sexual preference!

BTW Humph if you wanna Bar me youll have to Chase me first ..... Im kinky like that!!!

Are you, 72, bald and called Gary? If so you might be in there :o sorry  8)

Offline garybaldy72uk

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • BaldyRadio
« Reply #23 on: May 8 - 2011 »
Too Late Centurion im Taken LOL
Gimme a pint of OB and im happy!

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 8 - 2011 »
FFS lol!  :D

Offline Triphase

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 2 - 2012 »
Hi there! First post so please be kind...
I did hear rumour, that seemed to be accurate, that the 'anti-gay' memo was sent by HS to all York venues some years ago. This resulted in the manager of the York Arms resigning almost immediately in protest, his trade being mostly made up of this population. This meant that the more overtly camp went to the Little John (a John Smiths venue?) down by the Opera House (predominantly the younger generation) Anyone left at the Arms was a little older. A succession of relief managers followed, now the venue is run by Barney & Sarah, a great couple. Incidentally they have now crossed the 'Year' barrier and HS seems happy(?) with them.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 2 - 2012 »
Hi Triphase, welcome to the forum and it's nice to see you've found time to post.

ian.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27 - 2012 »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. The York Arms along with other "gay pubs" seem to be struggling to find managers at the moment. Please report on the new managers that took over recently.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Triphase

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29 - 2012 »
Hi,

The new landlords are Phil & Cheryl, they took over as soon as the previous people had left. According to them they've been in the trade for 20+ years and were formerly in Twickenham. Their bond has gone up to ?1500 from ?1000... They've been in-situ for a week and a half and are very pleasant. The previously barred customers re-appeared as expected, were allowed to stay for an evening, caused grief and were subsequently re-barred  ;)

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30 - 2012 »
Hi,

The new landlords are Phil & Cheryl, they took over as soon as the previous people had left. According to them they've been in the trade for 20+ years and were formerly in Twickenham. Their bond has gone up to ?1500 from ?1000... They've been in-situ for a week and a half and are very pleasant. The previously barred customers re-appeared as expected, were allowed to stay for an evening, caused grief and were subsequently re-barred  ;)

Some new managers tell you all sorts when they first start with the company and then change their minds later on. Interesting to note that the bond has gone up, not surprising really as so many managers leave with the takings for their pubs. Suppose it has happened so much now that he's just raised the amount accordingly. It's good that the new couple are barring people that cause trouble in the pub and hope that they are still there on my next visit.