Author Topic: Old Red Lion Leeds  (Read 26804 times)  Share 

Offline pintplease

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Old Red Lion Leeds
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31 - 2011 »
alepaul, don't make excuses for this guy, if he has pushed out the gay customers
because they are gay then he is either a fascist or simply ignorant, which ever it is
there is no doubt that its very unpalatable.   

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31 - 2011 »
pintplease,

Can I be the first to welcome you to this forum. When I read your first post I was pleased to see it was not a first post whinge. If you do find time to pop back into the Red Lion sometime I for one would like to know your observations, as a old customer with maybe no axe to grind one way or the other.

I myself have been in 3 times since it's reopened and have not see or heard any anti gay behaviour in my visits.

ian.

DocLorro

• Non-Member
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31 - 2011 »
Having used the Old Red Lion for a number of years until three or four years ago I for one am pleased to see a change. In no way am I homophobic but they were intent in taking over and needed to be told this is a "public house" and not just for gay men, lesbians and TV's. Nor was it a social club for their use only. The new manager is very abrasive and clearly has graduated with honours from the Humphrey School of Charm and Diplomacy, no doubt when he has been put in his place by customers he and his partner will come to realise they are there for the customers benefit and not the other way round. It would be helpful if customers knew what the opening times were rather than him just shrugging his shoulders when asked.

Having said that I am pleased that the dross that used to go in there during the day no longer do so and assume they now frequent the Duncan or Elliot which is where they belong!

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31 - 2011 »
I have been in 3 or 4 times since it reopened and have not seen any anti gay talk or opinions been made by the customers or manager. But i am due to visit next week, so will see what its like then.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #19 on: Apr 1 - 2011 »
Having used the Old Red Lion for a number of years until three or four years ago I for one am pleased to see a change. In no way am I homophobic but they were intent in taking over and needed to be told this is a "public house" and not just for gay men, lesbians and TV's. Nor was it a social club for their use only. The new manager is very abrasive and clearly has graduated with honours from the Humphrey School of Charm and Diplomacy, no doubt when he has been put in his place by customers he and his partner will come to realise they are there for the customers benefit and not the other way round. It would be helpful if customers knew what the opening times were rather than him just shrugging his shoulders when asked.

Having said that I am pleased that the dross that used to go in there during the day no longer do so and assume they now frequent the Duncan or Elliot which is where they belong!

I can't imagine and don't imagine that for one moment the local gay community "conspired" to take over the Old Red Lion.  If one or two customers of a certain group, gay, bikers, townies, rockers, etc, find a pub comfortable, then they will tell their friends and bring their friends and that's how a pub can build its customer base.

This is probably what has happened to the Old Red Lion with its gay customer base, and so be it.  If a new landlord takes over a particular pub he/she should have done his/her research first to find this out and if not happy, then he/she should not have taken it over.  Any new landlord that is not happy with a significant customer base should like it or lump it - they bring in the money.

DB.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 1 - 2011 »

I can't imagine and don't imagine that for one moment the local gay community "conspired" to take over the Old Red Lion.  If one or two customers of a certain group, gay, bikers, townies, rockers, etc, find a pub comfortable, then they will tell their friends and bring their friends and that's how a pub can build its customer base.

This is probably what has happened to the Old Red Lion with its gay customer base, and so be it.  If a new landlord takes over a particular pub he/she should have done his/her research first to find this out and if not happy, then he/she should not have taken it over.  Any new landlord that is not happy with a significant customer base should like it or lump it - they bring in the money.

DB.

So what happens to all of the previous customer base that enjoyed a pub until a new 'crowd' move in, or when a very polarised customer base finds somewhere else they prefer and leave the pub with a reputation but no customers?  This is a very good reason why good pub operators avoid becoming a venue for specific groups of customers. It's all about taking a long term view, not pandering to a quick or easy hit, and catering for as wide a spectrum of clients as possible.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #21 on: Apr 2 - 2011 »
 a bit disgruntled by on the drinks remarks re duncan/elliott im a law abiding buisnessman 4 kids all happy,and im not a dependant on the state a single penny and never have either,and im not dross,i drink in many bar and i mingle with many a people,its good for buisness and freindship...you really need to question what you said

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #22 on: Apr 2 - 2011 »
but to be honest this post is dead boring now, im not gay but my girlfriend i want to be once a week while i watch :P :P

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 2 - 2011 »
a bit disgruntled by on the drinks remarks re duncan/elliott im a law abiding buisnessman 4 kids all happy,and im not a dependant on the state a single penny and never have either,and im not dross,i drink in many bar and i mingle with many a people,its good for buisness and freindship...you really need to question what you said

I don't mean to cause anyone offence at all. I was questioning the commercial wisdom of any pub getting itself labelled a 'gay' bar or a 'bikers' bar or any other sort of bar for that matter, to the exclusion of others who might enjoy the place and perhaps feel themselves edged out.  There are places that set out to do that deliberately, generally in areas that take on a label (such as the 'pink triangle' in my local big city) and good luck to them as everyone knows where they stand, and if somewhere has been a venue for specific groups for ages then so be it but I'd be very careful of letting any social group becoming dominant.  PS, My girlfriend won't play that one either!

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #24 on: Apr 2 - 2011 »
ha ha nice one on the drink ,no offense taken :P

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 6 - 2011 »
It would seem a strange commercial decision, but we are talking about Samuel Smiths Brewery here, after all
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline pintplease

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 6 - 2011 »
We don't know if it is a commercial decision or simply that the new manager is homophobic. Either way its very distasteful.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 6 - 2011 »
We don't know if it is a commercial decision or simply that the new manager is homophobic. Either way its very distasteful.

But upto now it's all hearsay.  Lets not crucify the guy before we get all the facts right.

ian.

ps I'm talking about the manager.

Offline alepaul

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 11 - 2011 »
In my book there's nothing wrong with wanting a mixed pub where all people feel welcome rather than people of a certain sexual orientation being made to feel uncomfortable.
Pubs should have a mixed clientele and it was probably fair to say that until recently red lion didn't have a mixed clientele

Offline pintplease

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 12 - 2011 »
In my book there's nothing wrong with wanting a mixed pub where all people feel welcome rather than people of a certain sexual orientation being made to feel uncomfortable.
Pubs should have a mixed clientele and it was probably fair to say that until recently red lion didn't have a mixed clientele

This pub used to have a mixed clientele but the majority were gay.
I am not gay but always found the pub friendly and never felt uncomfortable
apart from when sat on the worn out furniture. Enter the new manager
and its no longer a mixed crowd the gay customers are no longer there.