Author Topic: Old Red Lion Leeds  (Read 27147 times)  Share 

Offline Barsteward

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Re: Old Red Lion Leeds
« Reply #30 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
It seems that the 'no gays allowed' rule is being 'enforced' in one of his pubs anyway...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13087715

Personally it doesn't bother me one iota if they are straight, gay, transsexual or even Lancastrian, ( :P ) everyone should be able to enjoy a good social life without fear of intimidation, especially from 'mine hosts'.

Heck, the one I work in has a fair number of gay customers,  and they behave better than most of our more 'socially acceptable' regulars!

?0.02

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #31 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
A minor point of order. They got asked to leave for kissing each other on the lips.

I have stated on here that I'am not against gays, but I don't want to be drinking my beer watching men kissing each other.

Years ago I was asked to leave a pub because I was kissing my soon to be wife. I dint't go to the police or the newspapers.

ian.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #32 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
My better half has just pointed out that the Jon Snow has segregated rooms with doors that are only about four foot high.  This makes it fairly private for courting couples.

DB.

Offline Stoutman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
I was actually in the John Snow when this alledged incident happened here's may take on what happened,
Landlord was on his night off (we know as we were talking to him an hour before) he was approached by a customer saying that these two fella's were getting amorous in the corner of the main bar, he did approach them and asked them to calm it down I didnt hear the rest of the conversation but he then went back to the bar. Later on he went over again as they were getting more heated ( we were watching them at this time) he asked again for them to calm down again and got a mouthful of abuse so his wife went across and asked them to leave again another load of abuse from these two that's when an off duty police officer stepped in and asked them to leave. In my eyes he was quite within his rights to ask them to calm down I have done it myself as an ex bar manager couples snogging in an open bar area is not on be they men women men and men women and women there is a time and a place for such acts and the public bar of a busy pub is not it

PS the Stout was excellent so I for one will be returning when next down South

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
I don't think there are many pubs where overt displays of affection by couples of any orientation are particularly welcome, but I've found that there is a tendency amongs some gay couples to flaunt their sexuality regardless of location, almost like adolescents. Like most people, I don't give a monkeys about who is gay or straight as long as it's not rammed dowm my throat (sorry ;)).

Offline Jeremiah

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
More on this story on BBC news website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13091833

Looks like it will be busy at the John Snow pub in Soho tonight.

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
This is turning into a massive story with even the Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show discussing it and bloggers picking the story up. There is a theory that says 'any publicity is good publicity' but I'm not entirely sure Mr Ratner would agree with that and Sams Smith Brewery is certainly getting some stick over this.

http://defencebrief.blogspot.com/2011/04/no-wonder-pubs-are-closing-down.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0106tyj

Admin - this thread is all under the Old Red Lion Leeds - maybe it deserves a thread of its own?

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
Do you know how many minutes into the programme it is mentioned so that we don't have to listen to all of it?   :D

DB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
It seems that the 'no gays allowed' rule is being 'enforced' in one of his pubs anyway...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13087715

Personally it doesn't bother me one iota if they are straight, gay, transsexual or even Lancastrian, ( :P ) everyone should be able to enjoy a good social life without fear of intimidation, especially from 'mine hosts'.

Heck, the one I work in has a fair number of gay customers,  and they behave better than most of our more 'socially acceptable' regulars!

?0.02

You are only jealous because we LANCASTRIANS won!   ;D

DB.
Oh, and why the "?0.02"?

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
For those interested it's at 1min 34secs            http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b0106tyj

Apparently a mass 'kiss-in' is planned for tonight 7.00pm at the John Snow. Somehow I feel this is all going to end in tears.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #40 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
 :-*

Diana Taylor

• Non-Member
« Reply #41 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
Interesting to hear the other side of the story, I'm sure the off duty police officer will no doubt be making a statement in due course. Either way I think that the Managing couple need to get their heads around current Equality and Diversity legislation and how it applies to them as the managing couple, that is if they want to continue running licensed premises that is!
http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php?topic=90.new;topicseen#new

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
Interesting to hear the other side of the story, I'm sure the off duty police officer will no doubt be making a statement in due course. Either way I think that the Managing couple need to get their heads around current Equality and Diversity legislation and how it applies to them as the managing couple, that is if they want to continue running licensed premises that is!

Diana,

If you believe the independent eye witness that said the manager was right to ask the couple to leave The John Snow because of their behaviour. Why are you saying the..........."the Managing couple need to get their heads around current Equality and Diversity legislation"  Unless of course you are bigoted against straight people.

ian.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »

Equality and Diversity. Oh, yes, ensuring the rights of minorities are enshrined in pointless legislation and highlighting the differences between races and gender instead of applying common sense and acting appropriately when lines are crossed. The Nanny state in action.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #44 on: Apr 15 - 2011 »
well said on the drink and to some of your other posts too.. it has happened in my pub a couple of times ,i let it go at first then i had a quiet diplomatic word with the couple and all was well, and that was m/f tongues an all. its also happened m/m and f/f ....its how you approach them that keep it all peaceful ,9/10 people are reasonable when asked to calm it...