Author Topic: Re: Alpine lager  (Read 11723 times)  Share 

Offline bistodog11

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
Re: Alpine lager
« on: Mar 19 - 2011 »
how is your alpine lager .in our village its been crap .we have a few sams houses in this area and all are the same.little fizz and not holding its head .the managers are trying to make it drinkable .when asked if theres anything they can do they recken if they send it back it will go against there stock .

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Alpine lager
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19 - 2011 »
how is your alpine lager .in our village its been crap .we have a few sams houses in this area and all are the same.little fizz and not holding its head .the managers are trying to make it drinkable .when asked if theres anything they can do they recken if they send it back it will go against there stock .

This used to happen occasionally in my local Sams pub but I can't remember it happening for about a year. exactly the same symptoms though: flat and no head retention.  I'd suspect a carbonation problem at the brewery but needless to say when managers say anything they're told there's nothing wrong with the beer.

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19 - 2011 »
We've just been told that they are planning to scrap Alpine, and that it will soon be no longer available at ours (nellies) which could be a problem, as several of my mates dont like the Taddy larger alternative, and love the Alpine - which has been great at ours. So if it goes, then it looks like so does some of the regulars.  :( :(

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19 - 2011 »
They seem to taking Alpine out in most of the newly refurbished pubs. Where there are a large group of pubs eg York, they seem to put Taddy lager in some of them. The Kings Arms has only Taddy lager now and the Old Red Lion in Leeds.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20 - 2011 »
I heard early last year that they were taking Alpine out of the York Arms, it's still on though. What I cant understand is why? apart from my wife who drinks Taddy all the other lager drinkers sup Alpine. So, does anyone have an idea as to why?

Offline shemon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20 - 2011 »
I think its something to do with the hops. The hops for Taddy lager are cheaper.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21 - 2011 »
We've just been told that they are planning to scrap Alpine, and that it will soon be no longer available at ours (nellies) which could be a problem, as several of my mates dont like the Taddy larger alternative, and love the Alpine - which has been great at ours. So if it goes, then it looks like so does some of the regulars.  :( :(

delboy, are you saying that Samuel Smith's are ending Alpine everywhere or just in Nellies?

DB.

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21 - 2011 »
I did hear a rumour over a year ago from one of the managers that Alpine Lager was to be phased out in favour of Taddy. It will be a sad day if Alpine disappears - it definitely refreshes the parts other lagers can't reach !

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21 - 2011 »
I'm a bitter man, but if I have to drink a "British" lager, then I would choose Alpine.  I have two nice Alpine pint "steins".

DB.

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22 - 2011 »
It still doesn't make sense to me, if the hops for Alpine are a bit dearer why not put a copper or two on the price of a pint,? it would still be cheaper than most lagers and it would keep the customers happy.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22 - 2011 »
Putting the price of a pint up beyond duty increases is just against Humphrey Smith's policy...so it won't happen!

DB.

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24 - 2011 »
I understand that DB, what I dont understand is if Humph is so bad a character, as I have come to read that he is, why does he do us customers the favour of keeping his prices down? it seems to me that he will kick some people down and help others. As I pointed out, even if he put a penny on a pint it would still be a lot cheaper than other brews. But, as far as I'm concerned I'm glad that he can keep his prices down, he's keeping me happy.

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25 - 2011 »
whizz I agree he keep,s his price,s low but unfortunetly it,s the poor manager,s who suffer with staff reduction,s and other cost cutting measure,s,20p on a pint would still be good value and help the poor manager,s sleep easier at night.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25 - 2011 »
I understand that DB, what I dont understand is if Humph is so bad a character, as I have come to read that he is, why does he do us customers the favour of keeping his prices down? it seems to me that he will kick some people down and help others. As I pointed out, even if he put a penny on a pint it would still be a lot cheaper than other brews. But, as far as I'm concerned I'm glad that he can keep his prices down, he's keeping me happy.

There are a lot of contradictions with Samuel Smith.  For example, I don't believe that he treats his managers fairly, yet sells Fair Trade products.

As for not increasing the price of beer, well, I think that it is just in his head not to and so be it and at the expense of cost.

DB.

Offline moggy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28 - 2011 »
years ago when humphs was nearly of sound mind, he made a decision that he would not put his beer up as long as the wholesale cost of ingriedients didnt alter.
At the time he was ridiculed by other brewery directors in the press, and they said he was a fool and would bankrupt sam smiths.
So this course of action (keeping the beer prices low) has nothing to do with humphs concern for his customers, its about showing these people who dared to call him, that he can do it. (even when the wholesale prices did rise he was determined to be right)
It is the managers that suffer, through staff hour reductions, and having to work stupid hours, yes the beer is cheap and thats great, but next time you go into your local Sams for a cheap pint look at the surroundings and see how shoddy they are, another casulty of keeping the beer prices low, thats whats behind the ban on music TV and sky.
Believe me Humph dosent have a concience or a kind thought but he definitly gets my vote for the biggest christian hypocrite in the world.