Author Topic: Re: Alpine lager  (Read 11774 times)  Share 

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Alpine lager
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28 - 2011 »
I think that Sams pubs have more of a natural look about them, unlike some pubs that get a plastic makeover, as for juke boxes and and Sky, you can keep them. Sky for me is spelt, soccer, and I dont like soccer.

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
Unfortunetly whizz most MEN like soccer that,s why sam,s are usually empty when a match is on as for the natural look of pub,s most of Sam,s fall well short of a decent place to take a wife or girlfriend.My local Sam,s is well run by a great couple of manager,s but even they can,t keep the place from thread bare carpet,s and peeling wallpaper.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
ill echo that statement hunter, to many pubs getting neglected that take money too, when poor earners are getting a fortune spent on them,then they still dont pick up trade  ::)

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
to many pubs getting neglected that take money too, when poor earners are getting a fortune spent on them,then they still dont pick up trade  ::)

Now there you go again - thinking that Humphrey Smith and the Sam Smith Brewery operate according to the normal rules of business! When Humphrey spends a Kings ransom on a pub it's not a commercial decision - it's about fulfilling a personal mission to return his pubs to that mythical period referred to in George Orwell's 1946 essay 'Moon Under Water.' It's definitely not about getting more customers - he'd be quite happy just with the knowledge that he'd saved another pub for posterity. Customers are inconsequential to him. Even if the pub has no customers, he'd never sell just board it up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Under_Water

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
The JD Wetherspoon concept pub is based on the "Moon Under Water" essay and quite a few of their pubs carry the name, notably the one in Wigan.  I've yet to go in one that come even close to fulfilling even half of the ten points in the essay.

Oh well.

DB.

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
Unfortunetly whizz most MEN like soccer that,s why sam,s are usually empty when a match is on as for the natural look of pub,s most of Sam,s fall well short of a decent place to take a wife or girlfriend.My local Sam,s is well run by a great couple of manager,s but even they can,t keep the place from thread bare carpet,s and peeling wallpaper.
The thing is Hunter, not all men like football, and there are plenty of pubs that have Sky so that they can go there and I can go to Sams, My father liked football, I never have, never will. My sport was long distance fell running, I feel privileged to have done it.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
Must admit I don't like soccer and will walk out of pubs if it was on.

Whizz just to make you feel at home..................

Have yo done it?   If not can you call yourself a long distance fell runner? ;)

ian.

Offline alepaul

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
years ago when humphs was nearly of sound mind, he made a decision that he would not put his beer up as long as the wholesale cost of ingriedients didnt alter.
At the time he was ridiculed by other brewery directors in the press, and they said he was a fool and would bankrupt sam smiths.
So this course of action (keeping the beer prices low) has nothing to do with humphs concern for his customers, its about showing these people who dared to call him, that he can do it. (even when the wholesale prices did rise he was determined to be right)
It is the managers that suffer, through staff hour reductions, and having to work stupid hours, yes the beer is cheap and thats great, but next time you go into your local Sams for a cheap pint look at the surroundings and see how shoddy they are, another casulty of keeping the beer prices low, thats whats behind the ban on music TV and sky.
Believe me Humph dosent have a concience or a kind thought but he definitly gets my vote for the biggest christian hypocrite in the world.

I've got to admit I've never run a pub but the industry is surely facing huge problems though with tax going up and supermarkets being so much cheaper. I heard some stat about 10 pubs a week closing. In this climate it seems it's a question of whether you want your pub to close or it to stay open but be run more efficiently with people having to work harder. It seems HS has gone for the latter option rightly or wrongly.
Price is important to a lot of people, particularly with government spending cuts etc coming up

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #23 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
Whizz,Ian, I appreciate what you are saying about not liking football,I said most men do,I have had two pub,s with Sam,s when time,s were good,have had people sat on the floor watching the world cup as all seat,s were taken.When football was on we were packed no room at the inn,fell running if that,s what you want fair enough I don,t think it will out do football

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
The JD Wetherspoon concept pub is based on the "Moon Under Water" essay and quite a few of their pubs carry the name, notably the one in Wigan.  I've yet to go in one that come even close to fulfilling even half of the ten points in the essay.

Oh well.

DB.
There was a thread about The Moon Under Water here :
http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php/topic,1982.msg5481.html#msg5481

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
im with hunter on this one, please come on how many men would sit around a plasma watching men run uphills and back again :P
last yearstrade during world cup and a few weeks after (because punters get comfy in new surroundings) was disastrous we were down alot of money a week, finding ways of drumming up custom as a sams manager compared to other brewerys ive been at is very difficult
FOOTBALL/TVS/MUSIC/GIGS/JUKE BOXS BRING EM BACK THE LOT OF IT AND MAKE BITTER 1.80 A PINT AND LAGER 2.10ish

just my thoughts, and sod moon under the water...its 2011

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
I know when it comes to football I'm in the minority that is why I don't go in pubs when England is playing.

Let me tell you what I was told by a Sam's manager about the last world cup.

There is two pubs in his village, one being his a Sam's Pub.   His pub was full until 5 minutes before kickoff and everybody walked across the road to the other pub to watch it.  At half time they all walked back for a quick drink, then went back to watch the second half.  At full time they all came back in and stayed. That happened with every match and it really P***** the other manager off.

ian. 

PS My Daughter who likes soccer and lives in Angola got time off work to watch, and a days holiday every time Angola won a match in the Africa Cup.

I can't see that happening here  :'(

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
A similar situation occured in my locals Sams when the football was on busy before and after and a few that came back for half time. Becasue a pint in the pub next door is ?2.80 for Black Sheep. It was empty one minute then jam packed the next, all in the course of buying an affordable pint.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline alepaul

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
Maybe it would be good to have TVs back for when there's football on but I'm sure there are people out there who are delighted to find a pub where they can have some piece and quiet when all other pubs are packed out with rowdy football fans.

Fundamentally though, I bet that pub that sells Black Sheep at 2.80 is struggling. Why would anyone want to pay a quid more for a beer which is no better, in fact I know a lot of people would say, worse? The pub that is fundamentally going to survive and prosper long term is the pub which is a social centre where people can drink excellent beer and still have some money left in their pocket at the end of the night.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
please come on how many men would sit around a plasma watching men run uphills and back again :P

Antthe2nd,  Can I take it you have not been in Holland during the Nijmegen marches?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Four_Days_Marches_Nijmegen

It is on Dutch TV every night for the 4 nights,  I never saw it, I was too busy in the bar getting p****. We had to get up every morning at 4am and we was sleeping in a room next to the sports centre bar that would stay open as long as you wanted.

ian.