Author Topic: new livemusic exemption bill  (Read 7788 times)  Share 

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
new livemusic exemption bill
« on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
morning advertiser been mentioning this for last 2 weeks and the bill is to be passed in the next couple of weeks,meaning venues that hold 200 people or less can hold gigs without restraint,i used to promote unsigned bands from around uk in pubs etc and had a great time doing it ,the bill is music to my ears and surely a victory for ssob,i could seriously increase the takings in my pub if i started this again(i miss it :( ) but will the gaffer see sense? i doubt it,but you never know eh,

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Re: new livemusic exemption bill
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
I've heard about this too and is potentially a god-send.  The local pubs here that have live music tend to be at least busy and putting on local unsigned acts is cheap (or free).  Plus, if you do have to pay, then cost can be offset by weekly meat, cheese or other raffles.

DB.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
I suppose the only way Hump will go along with this is if there's absolutely no cost to the pub so any bands will have free, or financed by admission charges or as Darkieboy said, raffles etc.  I still have a feeling he'll be a bahHumpbug over this, as it makes perfect sense to bring business in.

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
I don't mean to be a mardy bum, or put a dampener on these posts, but Humpty does not want anyone to enjoy themselves.  Its nothing to do with money, cost etc. he wants his pubs as they are, and that is as conversation pubs only.
Humpty doesn't care what anyone else wants, its what he wants, hence forget music, Tv, entertainment of any kind whilst he breathes.
In a previous post I poorly tried to explain that Humpty only caters for what you have at present in your local Sams, and that is cheap ale, good conversation and nothing else. A far cry from what it used to be.
Ask yourself this question. If another local pub close by had good ale, at a competitive price to Sams, with a choice of good conversation in a quiet lounge, or Sports TV and music around the other side in the public bar, good home cooked fresh food, which would you use? Now come on be honest! Well the latter is how it was some years ago. If that was the case now, then all your neighbouring local pubs would be shut through lack of trade because they would not be able to compete with Sams.

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
I don't mean to be a mardy bum, or put a dampener on these posts, but Humpty does not want anyone to enjoy themselves.  Its nothing to do with money, cost etc. he wants his pubs as they are, and that is as conversation pubs only.
Humpty doesn't care what anyone else wants, its what he wants, hence forget music, Tv, entertainment of any kind whilst he breathes.
In a previous post I poorly tried to explain that Humpty only caters for what you have at present in your local Sam's, and that is cheap ale, good conversation and nothing else. A far cry from what it used to be.
Ask yourself this question. If another local pub close by had good ale, at a competitive price to Sam's, with a choice of good conversation in a quiet lounge, or Sports TV and music around the other side in the public bar, good home cooked fresh food, which would you use? Now come on be honest! Well the latter is how it was some years ago. If that was the case now, then all your neighbouring local pubs would be shut through lack of trade because they would not be able to compete with Sam's.

Please have a good  look around and please tell me were this multi use pub is so i can try it. It isn't the multi use pub he is competing with now. It is the supermarket. Why should every pub be the same?  :)

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
I agree with you centurion that Sams is taking on the supermarkets, as many other pubs now charge over ?3.00 for a pint of Carlsberg or Carling.

Many of his pub have their own charactistics and charm, so i like the individuality of the different pubs that make up the estate. But i do think that if they put live bands in some of the pubs it would make a massive difference to the takings.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
Centurion, when you say "Why should every pub be the same"? That's exactly where I am coming from, every Sams pub is the same, even down to the dark solid wood fixtures and fittings.  From a managers point of view there is little he can do to entice customers in.
Multi use pubs are commonplace nowadays because management have realised that they have to cater for all tastes under one roof. Hence one room quiet for the crinklies like myself, and another to cater for the younger element. If you haven't come across any such pubs then I suggest you are not very observant.
I ran a pub for 10 years for Sams on this multi use style with great results, and as my previous post suggests, it would still be popular and successful if music etc returned. You would then have the choice of quiet conversation or a bit of life.

Offline dogsboddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
as far as a room for the younger end i think they went out with the breezers not many young ones use sams pub but if the music does come back i just hope we don't get all that karyjokey on again

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
I agree with you centurion that Sams is taking on the supermarkets, as many other pubs now charge over ?3.00 for a pint of Carlsberg or Carling.

Many of his pub have their own charactistics and charm, so i like the individuality of the different pubs that make up the estate. But i do think that if they put live bands in some of the pubs it would make a massive difference to the takings.

When I was in Wigan six months ago many local pubs were advertising beer at the following prices:

Carling: ?1.92
Tetley: ?1.72

Prices were slightly different in each pub.

DB.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
as far as a room for the younger end i think they went out with the breezers not many young ones use sams pub but if the music does come back i just hope we don't get all that karyjokey on again

My local Samuel Smith's pub (and others I hear) are strongly frequented by students, probably price related.

DB.

Offline alepaul

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
Surely it's a good thing that there is choice and different types of pubs for people to choose from. On the one hand there's SS - excellent beers, excellent prices, atmosphere created by converstation. On the other hand there's most other pubs - boring bland beers, high prices, atmosphere created by music and TVs.
I personally think it's a good thing that the customer can choose which type of pub he prefers.

Offline alepaul

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29 - 2011 »
Though I agree this law would seem like to a good opportunity to bring back a bit of live music in SS pubs at managers' disgression

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
Multi use pubs are commonplace nowadays because management have realised that they have to cater for all tastes under one roof. Hence one room quiet for the crinklies like myself, and another to cater for the younger element. If you haven't come across any such pubs then I suggest you are not very observant.

Dear Blueboy, with respect, for example? and the price is? 8)

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »

Karyjokey is recorded music? 8)

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30 - 2011 »
Surely it's a good thing that there is choice and different types of pubs for people to choose from. On the one hand there's SS - excellent beers, excellent prices, atmosphere created by converstation. On the other hand there's most other pubs - boring bland beers, high prices, atmosphere created by music and TVs.
I personally think it's a good thing that the customer can choose which type of pub he prefers.

YES!!!!! 8)