Author Topic: Bizarre letter from humph to his Scottish customers  (Read 4252 times)  Share 

Offline scoobie

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
The Cramond Inn was closed last month due to a misunderstanding of licencing laws. When it reopened, the prices had gone up by nearly 1 a pint.

Some of the customers wrote to the brewery to ask why he was ruining the only pub for miles. His response was a bizarre letter in which he
- addresses his customers as "former regulars"
- praises Margaret Thatcher
-compares Edinburgh to London (as both are 200 miles from Tadcaster)

See the full story here http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/cramond-inn-row-over-and-margaret-thatcher-letter-1-3582573

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
I am afraid this has finally proved to me, that this man is an absolute (your choice of expletive here!). I had thought there was some glimmer otherwise, even if buried within. It's time to show him 'people power', and no one ought to go in from now on. Presumably, by HIS logic, the pubs in Tadcaster will now be reducing prices, as they are nearer to the brewery? Ayup....he's milking it.
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.   Imperial-->:DKB <-- Stout!

Offline Auld Reekie

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
The Doo'cot is cheaper than the Cramond Inn,so how does that work!!!!!!! MAD

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
The Doo'cot is cheaper than the Cramond Inn,so how does that work!!!!!!! MAD

Makes economical sense to me. The Doo'cot is in a area of social housing, where the Cramond is a affluent area in the outer suburbs of a capital city. 

Offline Auld Reekie

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
The point is distance from the brewery.This was Humph main argument for price increases at the Cramond.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
The point is distance from the brewery.This was Humph main argument for price increases at the Cramond.

Up to around 3 or 4 years ago the pricing was very ad hoc with the cheapest pub being the Crown Inn in Glossop.   Then the brewery went to a three tier pricing.  The 37 London pubs being in the top tier,   The 10 pubs in the Southwest, Wales and Scotland in the middle tier the rest in the bottom tier.     

Now I'm guessing that the Cramond have gone into the top tier and the Doo'cot as gone into a tier of it's own between the middle and the top.

Edited to add,   Forgot about the two Chester pubs, there'll be in the middle tier.  Also I think maybe one or two others in Derbyshire / Cheshire will be in that middle pricing band.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Just remembered, when I was down in the southwest pubs a few months back, I do believe since Sam took over the Southern pubs that the ones in the southwest have gone into the London pricing band. Maybe someone from there will confirm if I'm right in thinking this.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
And lets not forget that they can charge what they want where they want without any justification.....

Offline blue stanley

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
Just remembered, when I was down in the southwest pubs a few months back, I do believe since Sam took over the Southern pubs that the ones in the southwest have gone into the London pricing band. Maybe someone from there will confirm if I'm right in thinking this.

Was in the King William, Bristol 2 weeks ago and OBB was 2.50. Think its been that price for a good 2 years now.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Thanks Blue Stanley,   It still in the middle band then.