• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Fitzroy Tavern closure
« on: Oct 31 - 2014 »
I have heard that the Fitzroy Tavern is to close soon for refurbishment and is expected to be closed for quite some time (a year).  Has anyone else heard this, or similar?

DB.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzroy Tavern closure
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31 - 2014 »
If that's true, I wonder if it'll keep the name?

According to Wikipedia, The building was originally constructed as the Fitzroy Coffee House, in 1883, and converted to a pub (called "The Hundred Marks") in 1887, by W. M. Brutton. In the early years of the 20th century, Judah Morris Kleinfeld became licensee. He rebranded it "the Fitzroy Tavern" in March 1919.

A case for it being renamed back to The Hundred Marks, given HS's current leanings to original names and that having been its first name, as a pub?

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31 - 2014 »
If that's true, I wonder if it'll keep the name?

According to Wikipedia, The building was originally constructed as the Fitzroy Coffee House, in 1883, and converted to a pub (called "The Hundred Marks") in 1887, by W. M. Brutton. In the early years of the 20th century, Judah Morris Kleinfeld became licensee. He rebranded it "the Fitzroy Tavern" in March 1919.

A case for it being renamed back to The Hundred Marks, given HS's current leanings to original names and that having been its first name, as a pub?

Thanks for the information.  It will be interesting to see.  If so, it will be reverting back to something that changed nearly 100 years ago.  Cardinal/Windsor Castle was a more recent change.

DB.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +31/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31 - 2014 »
According to Dr Who fan club website(regular meetings in the fitzroy)it will be shut for a long time.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31 - 2014 »
According to Dr Who fan club website(regular meetings in the fitzroy)it will be shut for a long time.

What is the URL of the Doctor Who fan club website?

DB.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +31/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11 - 2014 »
Rodic Davidson,architects, are doing the refurb putting the pub back to what was like in 1887.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11 - 2014 »
Rodic Davidson,architects, are doing the refurb putting the pub back to what was like in 1887.

A good find Bitterboy.  The refurbishment sounds like it is in keeping with the pub and current Brewery policy.  I'm for one looking forward to seeing it completed.

DB.

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12 - 2014 »

1887 prices would be good!!  0-) :BL

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +31/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30 - 2015 »
Article from local news,looks like shut for a year!.Some nice history and a link to all the plans.

http://news.fitzrovia.org.uk/2015/03/05/fitzroy-tavern-will-close-to-undergo-year-long-reburbishment/

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30 - 2015 »
Article from local news,looks like shut for a year!.Some nice history and a link to all the plans.

http://news.fitzrovia.org.uk/2015/03/05/fitzroy-tavern-will-close-to-undergo-year-long-reburbishment/

The reference to "two tight-lipped Yorkshire men" give me moment's chuckle. Wonder if that is just a 'misprint'   :() :BL

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30 - 2015 »
I was in there on one of me London trips a couple of weeks ago. Would think it would be appropriate to keep the name The Fitzroy as more appropriate to it's first name, and also to the pub giving the area the designation Fitzrovia, according to the info. on the wall. It's a famous pub due to the artist / writer set that used to frequent it, so for me would be odd to change it. Just a personal view. I often review places on Trip Advisor, and as I have a few by the time I'm done, I make notes - 'Pint of O.B. was on the flat side, which I think does nowt for the flavour. 'Well worn' homely interior, bit tired but characterful for all that.' So I'm not surprised it's being renovated. I hope they retain all the 'photos and info. I'm sure they will. I still enjoyed getting to it - especially as it's to be altered. So another visit a year hence! I was in London on the 14th to 16th of April. On Tuesday I went to The Fitzroy, The Blue Posts, The Bricklayers Arms, The Champion, The Cock. Wednesday I visited The Cittie of York, The Princess Louise, The Crown and Sugarloaf. No time for more as I had to get back to go to the 02. The writing of my notes deteriorates as I get round the pubs! I'll have some trouble deciphering some of it.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18 - 2015 »
The sign on the pub said that it will be reopening in April 2016 so SS must be doing a large sympathetic refurb with this one.  Went to the Cock Tavern which we were advised had recently had a refurb.  Money well spent.  Clearly they are building up the business again with this one as it wasn't the busiest SS pub we visited in London this week...

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18 - 2015 »
The sign on the pub said that it will be reopening in April 2016 so SS must be doing a large sympathetic refurb with this one.  Went to the Cock Tavern which we were advised had recently had a refurb.  Money well spent.  Clearly they are building up the business again with this one as it wasn't the busiest SS pub we visited in London this week...

I went to The Cock Tavern last week, good refurb with excellent toilets but unfortunately no hooks on the doors, which is a problem if you wear coats like many do in London.

Not really known this as a quiet pub, always busy on my (few) visits with many stood on the pavement outside.

Massive lights outside to light outside drinking.  Handy for Oxford Circus tube.

DB.

Offline superga85

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22 - 2016 »
anyone know if the Fitzroy Tavern has reopened yet? visting London next week and was hoping to pay a visit.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22 - 2016 »
I would be interested to know if it remains all keg or hand pumps gone in?