Author Topic: Fitzroy Tavern closure  (Read 10435 times)  Share 

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Fitzroy Tavern closure
« Reply #15 on: Jun 26 - 2016 »
Was in London this week and saw the builders were still in the process of renovating the pub.  The manager of another Sam's pub close by said they had been advised July, (trouble with the foundations), apparently.

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25 - 2016 »
Any update on when The Fitzroy will be open again ? Wasn't open when I went past a couple of weeks ago.

Offline superga85

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26 - 2016 »
October 2nd according to Sam's Twitter account

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11 - 2016 »
The Fitzroy is open, here's the verdict from Stonch's Beer Blog :

www.stonch.co.uk/2016/10/fitzroy.html

A couple of points there - upstairs lounges ? Wasn't aware The Fitzroy had an upstairs, maybe this is a new lounge created in the refurb ?
Also, the partitions will be interesting when the pub gets busy. I'll pay a visit next time I'm passing that way.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11 - 2016 »
The Fitzroy is open, here's the verdict from Stonch's Beer Blog :

www.stonch.co.uk/2016/10/fitzroy.html

A couple of points there - upstairs lounges ? Wasn't aware The Fitzroy had an upstairs, maybe this is a new lounge created in the refurb ?
Also, the partitions will be interesting when the pub gets busy. I'll pay a visit next time I'm passing that way.

It was a tip last time I was in and the beer was even worse. However, looks good from the outside and am looking forward to a visit. Any idea if there is cask OBB on anybody?

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12 - 2016 »
Was in London for a few days and we went in The Fitzroy which opened on Thursday, on Sunday. The place is actually hard to recognise on the ground floor, with the partitions. Fortunately they are not the same height as the low ones in other Sam's. I can confirm OB on hand pull. Usual suspects otherwise, plus India pale ale on keg. Good pint of ob, had a few, the place is very reminiscent of the Princess Louise, on a smaller scale.
 As you look at it, the is a 'passage' of sorts on the right leading to a small comfy bar which enjoys what must be highly expensive tiles which are recreations of period items, these tiles also line the right hand side of the wall. Halfway down this 'passage' is a door into a small partitioned area, with another the other side of the partition.
On the left hand side, there is the entrance to the below ground toilets. These are of the highest quality, must be some of the best in London. The passage with the toilets off also have a number of private doors / rooms /office accessed from here. Fortunately, the many period prints etc. which hung upstairs originally are hung (affixed )  to these walls. I can see that every Tom and Dick will be using these toilets for 'free' once sussed out. There is a second staircase which returns you upstairs but into the other 'lounge' bar.
I have some photos and I MUST get my missus to get them on here.
Spoke to the Landlady who is from another pub, she has worked for Sam's for years and by the sound of it, most of the London pubs. They are now on their hols for 3 weeks! There was some unforeseen works and underpinning which caused the delay to the refurb. timetable. Overall, a damn fine job has been made of the refurb. - personally I preferred the old pub but there you go. Highly recommended and I hope this is of interest!   

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12 - 2016 »
Forgot -There is a central bar, in a sort of 'walking stick' shape, the 'handle' end is in the right hand lounge bar, the curve in the two partitioned areas,  and returns round and longer into the left hand bar. 

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13 - 2016 »
Was in London for a few days and we went in The Fitzroy which opened on Thursday, on Sunday. The place is actually hard to recognise on the ground floor, with the partitions. Fortunately they are not the same height as the low ones in other Sam's. I can confirm OB on hand pull. Usual suspects otherwise, plus India pale ale on keg. Good pint of ob, had a few, the place is very reminiscent of the Princess Louise, on a smaller scale.
 As you look at it, the is a 'passage' of sorts on the right leading to a small comfy bar which enjoys what must be highly expensive tiles which are recreations of period items, these tiles also line the right hand side of the wall. Halfway down this 'passage' is a door into a small partitioned area, with another the other side of the partition.
On the left hand side, there is the entrance to the below ground toilets. These are of the highest quality, must be some of the best in London. The passage with the toilets off also have a number of private doors / rooms /office accessed from here. Fortunately, the many period prints etc. which hung upstairs originally are hung (affixed )  to these walls. I can see that every Tom and Dick will be using these toilets for 'free' once sussed out. There is a second staircase which returns you upstairs but into the other 'lounge' bar.
I have some photos and I MUST get my missus to get them on here.
Spoke to the Landlady who is from another pub, she has worked for Sam's for years and by the sound of it, most of the London pubs. They are now on their hols for 3 weeks! There was some unforeseen works and underpinning which caused the delay to the refurb. timetable. Overall, a damn fine job has been made of the refurb. - personally I preferred the old pub but there you go. Highly recommended and I hope this is of interest!   

Thanks for the info. Good to hear OB on hand pull.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13 - 2016 »
Here's some pics!

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13 - 2016 »
Er, and again.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 13 - 2016 »
As I can't figure how to put eight on in one go, I'll put them on individually, some have people in them, I assume I do not post due to privacy?

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 13 - 2016 »
a

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 13 - 2016 »
b

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13 - 2016 »
I actually have another 9 or 10 I could add, but site won't take them, probably me! Still, gives you an idea and I'll try to add the others later, Cheers!

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13 - 2016 »
The first 3 pics are the right hand rear lounge from the rear wall seating looking to the bar and partitioned area, next is looking through the door on the right hand 'passage' into and through the partitions to the left hand side of the building, the next 2 are the partition rooms.