Poll

DONT YOU THINK ITS TIME WE ALL STOOD TOGETHER AND FIGHT EM?

YES
NO
SHOULD BUT DARE WE
WHAT WE GOT TO LOSE
WHATEVER

Author Topic: MANAGERS AND RELIEF MANAGERS BEING SCAMMED  (Read 19905 times)  Share 

Offline muppet

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
COME ON

Offline sugar

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: MANAGERS AND RELIEF MANAGERS BEING SCAMMED
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2 - 2008 »
COME ON
They say we cant go backwards only forward , but they are. My business has improved 200% , if not more since i have been with the company ,And they want us to go back to staffing hours that we had 7 years ago , when the pub was taking less than a 1000 a week . We now take more in 1 week than we did in a month!!!! We are in desperate need of a face lift and have always worked hard , but they still want more .They want us to work on 22 staffing hours , i have refused and said i will leave first. Which i would not want to ,i enjoy my job , but it seems inevitable that we will have to . Then they will set someone on , on a lessor wage because that is how they work!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline spiderman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26 - 2010 »
It would not matter what takings you increase your trade he wants long term managers out and trying anything he can to do it ..Many very good new managers are being given the boot just before they do the 12 months so he does not have to give them a pension..Any excuse and bullying ..

Trust me stick it out go on sick the odd three days , he cant touch you...Try a 13 week on sick then let your partner do it for 13 weeks he cant touch you...And when all fails if it does he cannot throw you out for 3 months....

If you report to the police that you are going to take 3 months wages and your bond out of the takings , then humf cannot do a thing ..I know ...Not been on the sight for a while been busy gettin all legal paperwork together against ..It.. You must join the union it gives you more time

----------------------------------------
Converted from all upper-case
« Last Edit: May 27 - 2010 by Max »

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #3 on: May 27 - 2010 »
Life in the licensed trade is generally tough at the moment, with increased costs, beer tax and Wetherspoonisation (similar to supermarkets in the 1960s/70s/80/90s opening up and causing good corner shops to shut)...a Wetherspoons opening up could lead to several local pubs shutting (for better or worse).

I wouldn't expect SS to sit back and let pubs suffer from falling sales...there needs to be a carrot and stick incentive/approach to the matter, not just a stick to beat managers with, which seems to be the Humphrey norm.  SS could maintain their no "beer price increases" apart from tax policy without unduely punishing good managers.

Batemen's Brewery in Wainfleet have some great get-togethers for their landlords/ladies with free beer and music nights at the brewery...been myself and they are fantastic and your staff go away talking about the night (to customers) for weeks to come.  This is a proper incentive to perform.

DB.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28 - 2010 »
I doubt that Hump is capable of taking on a progressive idea to incentivise managers. I don't actually think he's clever enough to see the benefits both to the company and to himself - ie he wouldn't have to spend so much time managing the estate and on hiring and firing. I'd even go as far as to say he's not that clever generally. He might have a high IQ but his CQ -  Commonsense Quotient - is a big fat zero!   If he did have a grain of commonsense the pub estate would be thriving, not fighting a rearguard action to try to stand still.

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #5 on: May 30 - 2010 »
The manager in one of the SS pubs I frequent told me that the brewery do actually have an incentive in the form of their annual bonuses. These bonuses are awarded if each house beats its own takings from the previous financial year, and amount to 2-3% of those takings being paid to the manager. The manager I was speaking to wondered how long this scheme was going to last, amd bemoaning the fact that it was becoming harder to achieve these targets in order for the bonus to be paid.

Offline bistodog11

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 31 - 2010 »
Yes there is a bonus scheme and it is based on the profit your house achieves, by beating the previous years figures, there is also a barrellage  scheme done the same way. unfortunatley  if you are not hitting your 5% on draught beer, you do not qualify for this bonus, :'(  as quite a few of us have found out to our dismay. :'(

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 1 - 2010 »
Please let me put you straight on Retail Bonus. Mr Smith will tell you the following if you challenge him, as he did with me when I was with his company recently before getting out... quote "The retail bonus is completely discretionary". I shall explain what that means as follows, It means that if you do succeed in achieving retail bonus, it will be paid to you if your face fits.
I achieved this bonus last year and was lucky enough to be paid it. My nearest Smiths manager 2 miles away also achieved it but was not paid bonus simply because he had a long term grievance with Smiffy who was trying desperately to oust him.
I recorded a conversation with Smiffy, and in that conversation all Smiffy repeats over and over is that "The bonus is discretionary"
To summarise, don't plan on spending any bonus until its in your bank account, because if he can find anyway not to pay it he will, thats who you are dealing with.

Offline SILLYSOD

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: Jun 1 - 2010 »
personally no,but i know managers that have,they refused to pay because they where only short because of returns-due to quality of product,the breweries response was that it would be taken out of the bond and if the bond wasnt brought back to ?1000 within a week they would have their contract terminated for breach of contract.
it is wrong especially to charge at rrp for the loss when it aint the managers fault,however the manager should have known about this unless theyve just started.
its pay to work at sams you know

Offline Cokneyscot

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #9 on: Jun 1 - 2010 »
Im a customer and good friend of some SS managers. Me and my family have known them for many years, and they are a lovely hard working couple. They have been working for SS for just over a year now.
 They have been told by SS to pay thousands of pounds back to them because they did not reach the 60% GP. They also recieved a 'Verbal warning' for low wet surplus stocks. On the last stock take before thier disciplinary they actually hit just over 5%! But this was disregarded at the disciplinary they only looked at the lower figures. Both of them are shocked at the way SS is treating them. They feel that SS is making them feel like criminals, and then judging that they should be punished by having to pay back losses to the company. They are also on low staffing hours and struggling at busy periods. All this has got on top of them causing so much stress that one of them has become very ill, is on sick and on happy pills to stop them contemplating suicide, now thats bad. Both of them are now worried about becoming homeless.
They had planned to stay for as many years as possible. They love the pub they work at and the customers too. I've told them not to give in and to fight back. Not joking but these managers since starting last year have turned the pub in to a 'fab pub'. Before it was dirty, no atmosphere and rubbish managers. Now it's the talk of the town! Does anyone else know any other managers going through the same thing? I just hope posting this on here doesnt make thinks worse for them. Just feel gutted for them and think someone needs to speak out. Maybe the BBC or other media may want to pick up on this story? The way managers are being treated, I would'nt be suprised if someone trys to end thier life because of it.
Having managed a SS pub in London for a year and going through very similar circumstances(and witnessing it happen to others) we took all monies owed to us and left. The feeling of relief was great and I advise any managers contemplating leaving, to do so as soon as possible. We are now managing a thriving pub elsewhere and enjoying every minute of it. SS is not the only pub company that runs managed pubs!

Offline bistodog11

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
« Reply #10 on: Jun 2 - 2010 »
you are spot on blueboy, you also beerman, we where forced to pay money for food stock, as well as several managers we know,it was F.O.B. That started that,

Offline Roc-Pot

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 2 - 2010 »
I am Relief Manager,  andi  answered an advert for a relief  manager for  12 days at a SS pub in ** [censored by Moderator] **, haveing never done  a SS  before, I accepted the  invite  to take over the  relief   for  12 days, I arrived at the pub  met the  permanat Manager and wife( who worked hard and left a very clean pub, and  first class  cellar) only  to find they had  receieved a lettter  form ** [censored by Moderator] ** Ballocks( a so called Mr H )  telling them to achieve  a 5% on  certain  beerI beleive,  what  a load  off  rubbish  it was doing less than a ?1000  a week.  first class  customers all saying the same  thing. ther was no food  , no  music, even the pool team had to pay for ther matches  as well as ther own food  ( if ther  was  any). terrible  state off  affair. On my arrival  they wanted a ?1000
Bond , ** [censored by Moderator] ** to that I said, for  12 days  they didnt have a ?1000 in stock, also they wanted me to  sign not to have intertainment  or music, well you  can immagine  what I  did  sign ( your right ) ** [censored by Moderator] **.I  did get my  bond in cash at the  end off  12 days. as well as my  ?50.  per dayfor all the cleaning and paper work and off  course  was only person   on the bar,up and down to change gaz and barrels ( although not many) as for my wages   clever me underbanked  the previous  week to cover  my wages,  oh and on top off that i claimed  travelling expenses  claimed that  the previous week.  I wasnt taking any chances,   People like SS  you have to be  2  steps ahead agreat pub  just waiitng on the   shutters going up on the  windows   avery good  couple  out off a job..** [censored by Moderator] ** and ** [censored by Moderator] ** you  deserve better......

[Moderator - Edited to comply with AUP]
Also removed identifying information of third party people.
« Last Edit: Jun 2 - 2010 by DarkieBoy »

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #12 on: Jun 2 - 2010 »
It is quite understandable that people get extremely angry and/or upset at the actions of THE HUMPS or his agents - but it's also prudent to give the man little ammo for his solicitors to try and shut down this site.

The type of language used have been removed, so we can all move on. If Humphs or his agents now visit this thread, they will have to use their imagination to try and resolve the censored bits!  ;)

I have also removed names and location to prevent SS identifying who was referred to.

Ultimately, if I was THE HUMPS, I would have to ask myself, 'is it such a good idea to keep on upsetting people?' Surely life was more enjoyable when all of his employees and customers would (honestly) smile at him and show the respect he earned at that time - now quite a number of years ago.

Humphs - why not have a website (which you would have full control over) where you could promote your products, history, and other positives - and also dispel any incorrect rumours. You could also have a much more effective way to communicate with your staff - and even guage feeling through feedback? Just a thought, so please don't bar me from Widow Cullen's Well, I do like going in here and your other pubs, honestly!

DB.
« Last Edit: Jun 16 - 2010 by DarkieBoy »

Offline LawDittup

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #13 on: Jun 8 - 2010 »
So if you relief manage SS, pub do you only open the hours that are left from your 12 hour shift, after you cleaned pub and cellar, done the paperwork, banked the  receipts, and taken meal breaks, and then cleaned the bar after closing. 'Bout 4 hrs. a day I reckon......?

Offline bubble

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 8 - 2010 »
Relief managers seem to be paid more a day than the actual managers.