Author Topic: Samuel Smith's in the Good Beer Guide  (Read 11743 times)  Share 

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Smith's in the Good Beer Guide
« Reply #15 on: Jun 6 - 2011 »
You maybe would say that Ian, but so would I.

I've been saying it for years, as a Camra member, former licensee and former brewery sales manager. The Good Beer Guide is, in fact, the guide to the favourite watering holes of Camra members, regardless of beer quality.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Jun 6 - 2011 »
I know of a pub that is run a active CAMRA member and the beer is warm and crap but it's still in the GBG.

ian

Offline alepaul

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 6 - 2011 »
You maybe would say that Ian, but so would I.

I've been saying it for years, as a Camra member, former licensee and former brewery sales manager. The Good Beer Guide is, in fact, the guide to the favourite watering holes of Camra members, regardless of beer quality.

Very good comment. The name 'The Good Beer Guide' is IMO an inappropiate name as it suggests objectivity

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 10 - 2011 »
I have been in several CAMRA pubs and the beer has not been the best. Don't know how some of the pubs get in the guide.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 14 - 2011 »
I've noticed that there are no (as far as I can see) Samuel Smith's London pubs in the Good Beer Guide, despite some excellent buildings and top quality cask beer.

Are there any Samuel Smith's pubs in the Good Beer Guide at all?

DB.

From the 2010 Good Beer Guide:

Prince of Wales Tavern, North Shields
Colpitts, Durham City
Angel & White Horse, Tadcaster
Golden Ball, Scarborough
Berkeley Hotel, Scunthorpe
Ivanhoe Hotel, Sprotborough, S.Yorks
Shoulder of Mutton, Bradford
Queens Head (Turners Vaults), Stockport
Crown Inn, Glossop
Wortley Almshouses, Peterborough
Old Murenger House, Newport
Cittie of York, London

Er, that's all folks and I doubt the 2011 guide will be much different.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #20 on: Jun 14 - 2011 »
I've noticed that there are no (as far as I can see) Samuel Smith's London pubs in the Good Beer Guide, despite some excellent buildings and top quality cask beer.

Are there any Samuel Smith's pubs in the Good Beer Guide at all?

DB.

From the 2010 Good Beer Guide:

Prince of Wales Tavern, North Shields
Colpitts, Durham City
Angel & White Horse, Tadcaster
Golden Ball, Scarborough
Berkeley Hotel, Scunthorpe
Ivanhoe Hotel, Sprotborough, S.Yorks
Shoulder of Mutton, Bradford
Queens Head (Turners Vaults), Stockport
Crown Inn, Glossop
Wortley Almshouses, Peterborough
Old Murenger House, Newport
Cittie of York, London

Er, that's all folks and I doubt the 2011 guide will be much different.

Cheers for checking, OnTheDrink.  I did not see the Cittie of Yorke in the 2011 edition.  I've got a feeling that Samuel Smith's pubs are slowly falling out of favour for one reason or t'other.

DB.

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 14 - 2011 »
Does the good beer guide mean just that, good beer, or do they mean good pub guide which would be or could be different?

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 14 - 2011 »
Does the good beer guide mean just that, good beer, or do they mean good pub guide which would be or could be different?

My earlier definition of the GBG: The Good Beer Guide is, in fact, the guide to the favourite watering holes of Camra members, regardless of beer quality.

My local Camra branch are well known for putting pubs in the guide where the licensee or brewery panders to them, putting on guest beers, flattering them and otherwise encouraging their custom.  Some of them do sell great cask beer but there are plenty that don't. As an example, there's one run by a wonderful lady in her eighties who was born in the pub and took it over after her parents died. It doesn't have a bar, serves beer in jugs from the cellar and is a fantastic piece of pub heritage: A real 'public house'. Unfortunately, the beer is s**t, and has been for as long as I can remember, but it goes in every year, and is one of a handful of pubs nationally which has appeared every edition of the GBG because no-one within the branch is willing to put their head above the parapet.  Probably an extreme example but it serves the argument.

Sam Smiths pubs aren't 'sexy' to Camra members, despite the brewery being an icon of English brewing, regardless of all the issues with staff and the Managing Madman. Another problem is management turnover. Many Camra branches rigidly enforce the 12 month rule for a manager being in place before the pub can be considered. Others enforce the rule when it suits them.

Anyway, bringing my rant to an end, the GBG, in my opinion, is a Good Pub Guide where you stand a better chance of a decent pint, the chance of finding a herd of beer anoraks 'ticking' the latest guest beer in their book, or simply a pub with bad beer that's somehow in favour with the local arbiters of taste.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22 - 2013 »
Had a look through 2014 guide and could only find six,

Boars head,Stockport
Engineers Arms,Higham
Edmunds Arms,Worsbrough
Victoria,Cleveleys
Colpitts,Durham
Berkeley,Scunthorpe

Plus White Bear,Stillington(freehouse).

Offline pint568

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22 - 2013 »
I know the Crown Inn, Glossop is still in... It's seemed to have been in for a good while if I remember rightly. In fact, I seem to think they have all the GBG stickers in the window if I'm not mistaken.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22 - 2013 »
One of the few - The Prince of Wales, North Shields - was dropped from this year's guide, yet the local CAMRA Pub of the Year consistently serves poor quality beer, but because the management panders to the CAMRA members that drink there, and because they sell lots of beers from new micro breweries, it always goes in the GBG. It used to be a fairly reliable guide to finding a decent pint but in many areas, like Newcastle, they only put in the dumps - the trendy places that happen to sell cracking cask beer never get a look in.

Offline gimp

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23 - 2013 »
I know im new to this site and I have to say that sam smiths was not my acquired taste till lately,ive been living in cleveleys 6 years and have only recently started to use the victoria hotel as my watering hole.ive tried all the draught beers and they are really nice apart from the wheat beer as its not my cup of tea. I find it such a warm and welcoming boozer But was wondering if anyone else on this site was in this pub?ive heard some disturbing things about the owner from fellow customers but he aint serving my beer.ive noticed as I said last week that they were in the good beer guide for the last 3 years and are in 2014 also
,which cant be a bad thing