Author Topic: ALPINE LAGER BREWING STOPPED  (Read 27225 times)  Share 

Offline HARROGATE BILL

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
ALPINE LAGER BREWING STOPPED
« on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
I was in Darlington on business and called in the The Burns for a pint of Alpine lager, only to be told that it is no loger on offer and that TaddyLager is the only draught offering.

This pub has a good lager trade and Humph will just kill it off

Offline Coriolanus

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: ALPINE LAGER BREWING STOPPED
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Its happening all over. Cant understand what his reasons might be. As always, normal human logic does not apply in Humphreys case.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Don't think it's stopped and I sincerely hope it doesn't get replaced in my local as it only sells Alpine. Taddy would be a disaster and I think a good many folk would go elsewhere. It's not too difficult to convince non-regulars that it's very good compared to the dross they ask for (Fosters etc) and once they've had a pint they're sold. Taddy would be a much more difficult sell.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
It seems to mainly happen in the newly refurbished pubs that it changes from Alpine to Taddy lager. I have noticed this in several new refurbs or where there are a large number of Sams pubs eg York.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
It seems to mainly happen in the newly refurbished pubs that it changes from Alpine to Taddy lager. I have noticed this in several new refurbs or where there are a large number of Sams pubs eg York.

Ah, that would almost make sense in that the pub's been shut for a while so Taddy would be a clean break.  My local was done up last year with no changes thankfully, other than the fact the decorators were sh**te!

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Yes true onthedrink, only the Kings Arms in York only has Taddy lager now as the company don't care as its mainly passing trade in that one. The other Sams pubs nearby have Alpine.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Not a lager drinker myself but I do hear many folk say how good Alpine is!

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
I know several local pubs where Taddy was put on in tandem with Alpine but was eventually taken out as only the Alpine was selling. I really hope Alpine stays it is a fantastic pint!

Offline Stoutman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Blackdog and all,
I am afraid its true in the South anyway Alpine has been removed rom the following Lyceum Tavern, The Champion, The Red Lion, The Duke or Argyll, and have been told today by a mate who lives Down Sarf its coming out of the John Snow and Town Wharf

Wife is gutted (I dont care either way myself lol )

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Sorry, is it me or am I having a senior moment!! Alpine lager is brewed in Taddy, HS has fallen out with the German people who let him use the advertising and he now has Taddy lager to promote. Surely it's going to be exactly the same lager, just re branded. ::)

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Sorry, is it me or am I having a senior moment!! Alpine lager is brewed in Taddy, HS has fallen out with the German people who let him use the advertising and he now has Taddy lager to promote. Surely it's going to be exactly the same lager, just re branded. ::)

Yup, it's a senior moment! :)

The arrangement with Brauerei Aying ended five ago when Ayingerbrau was renamed Alpine so HS doesn't have to worry about that anymore.   Alpine's completely different to Taddy, far hoppier, more body and not as sweet, and I think the only thing going for Taddy is that it's 4.5% ABV now, instead of the 3.7% it was first brewed at.

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Strangely when Taddy was weaker it tasted nicer than it does now, in any case its Alpine all the way for me.

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
As I've said before, this has been on the cards for over a year, but you are right about Alpine being the best seller, my wife is the only person that I know of who drinks Taddy.

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Whizz, Is she a cider lover? The only two people I know of in my local that gave Taddy any kind of extended trial were both normally cider drinkers.

Offline HARROGATE BILL

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22 - 2011 »
Shame to see it is happening around the country, I wonder what he will sell to the Free trade such as Fanny's in Saltaire or the New York club on Blossom Street in York.

Have just spoken to a regular in Darlington, it is getting a makeover of the cellar and new pumps - is the Humph feeling ok?