Author Topic: G M B Trade Union  (Read 44123 times)  Share 

Offline Mike D Williamson

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
G M B Trade Union
« on: Sep 23 - 2008 »
Having a number of you as members. I am aware of all your complaints and the way you are treated. These have come out loud & clear at our G M B Union Sam Smiths managers meetings. I have & will be representing members at the Rochdale office with Oliver ( I have yet to have the pleasure of meeting Humphrey). I was in the process of preparing a case with our solicitors, unfortunately the manager cancelled the meeting with the solicitor. I'm in a disciplinary this Friday as to failing to reduce staff hours. We will see where this goes.
Mike Williamson GMB Branch Secretary. 0785-580-2421.

I have delt with some ****** employers in the past 25yrs but this company has got the medal.

The only way you will stop the way you are treated, is to join your colleagues in the G M B Union. I can then take the Company to court and attain the right to negotiate your terms & conditions.  Your membership is strictly confidentail and A C A S becomes involved. Having already taken a Company all the way through the process up to C A C and won. I can do the same for you but we need at least 51% to become members.
« Last Edit: Sep 24 - 2008 by Admin »

Offline moggy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: G M B Trade Union
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24 - 2008 »
dear mike we are with the tgwu and have been for a long time, what percentage of managers do you represent for sams, and if the tgwu also represent the other managers within sams, cant  you get together with a joint action. the union is the only way to go and i hope this site will help managers and not just be used to sound off, because that just isolates you on the fringes and then you get picked of.

Offline JettaP

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
In todays news...you are not alone
« Reply #2 on: Oct 1 - 2008 »
Pub owner on hunger strike
A disillusioned pub landlord who is facing eviction has gone on hunger strike to highlight "exorbitant" rises in rent and beer prices which he claims are killing the pub trade.

Colm Powell, 44, started his protest after being told he faces losing the lease at the three pubs he has been running in Tonbridge, Kent, because he broke conditions set out in the agreements.

He plans to continue his campaign until he is due to be served with an eviction notice by the owners, Enterprise Inns, after the company successfully sought possession of the pubs at a county court hearing.
As they say in Oswaldtwistle " If you catch a weasel asleep, you can pi** in it's ear"

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 1 - 2008 »
At the moment I'm working on a number of S S cases. Another manager joined over the wkend. There has been a new developement in one of the cases which could benifit all. At this time I need to concentrate on these members.
Mike

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16 - 2008 »
Well things are on the move, we have doubled membership and the case that was brewing, should come to a head by the end of this week. Next week we have an appointment with our solicitors. If our membership continues to grow at this rate we will be soon in the position of presenting a recognition petition to the C A C.
Mike

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29 - 2008 »
Well the case is still a brewing. Maybe the company is taking on your points of view. Our solicitors are writing to the company,informing them that we will be persuing a case against them. This will only effect those on who's behalf we are acting. Each individual / couple will have to persue their individual cases. Four more managers have joined.
Mike

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 6 - 2008 »
Well the rumours concerning relief managers seam to have come true, judging from the amount of phone calls I have had, stating that they have been dismissed. Unfortunatley I can't help because they weren't members at the time. For ?2.50 a week they would have had the advice & support during such a difficult time. If you would like an application form text me your name & address & I will send u one,0785-580-2421. Your membership is strictley confidential.

Our solictors letter will have landed on the companies desk by now and a copy will be sent members.
Mike

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 6 - 2008 »
Cheers for that Mike.

I would urge everyone employed by Sam Smiths, who currently have no representation, to seriously consider Mikes proposal to you (above), before it's too late.

The reason why I state this, is that we now know that staff who have loyally worked for the brewery for very many years are too at risk - so I would suggest that know ones job is safe.

Paying the small weekly fee's for Union membership, is not only for good peace of mind - but the more from the Brewery joining, the more powerful their punch in defending victims.
« Last Edit: Nov 6 - 2008 by Admin »
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19 - 2008 »
Well no response to solicitors letter, Still early doors. Another set of grievancies have been put in on behalf of Managers. Another 2 have joined & I have left 2 with forms to fill in. Were geting there.
If u would like to discuss joining give me a ring on 0785-580-2421 & I will pay you a visit.
Mike

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19 - 2008 »
I really find it hard to believe that only 2 people (cpls maybe) have joined in the last few weeks...please dont take any of the advice on this site with a pinch of salt,  it comes from managers who have had first hand experience of FOB & Humphrey, most of which probably thought they would be "protected" by some sort of law or "code of conduct"...forget that crap!!!

Imagine being in fellow "cookoo's"  place, being evicted with no explanation at all and nowhere to go, with bairns to look after...this could happen at anytime to anyone of you with little or no warning.

Get in touch with the appropriate union NOW...jeez its pennies a week in comparison to the grief you could avoid. 

Beware the toes you tread on today are not attached to the leg that supports the arse that you are gonna have to kiss tomorrow.

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11 - 2009 »
Well some more managers have been forced on to the streets. Cases are a brewing for them.

Our main case - They have been given the letter - We have now brought in the health & Safety, who are writing to the company. That wil put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

I'm preparing a report to members. Will members e-mail me with thier name, address, membership number and name of branch & number (i.e. 130 Oldham Branch) to ensure I have them all
[email protected]
Thanks
Mike
« Last Edit: Feb 11 - 2009 by Mike D Williamson »

Offline moggy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12 - 2009 »
hi buster, are you forgetting about Sam Smiths legal fund, it is there to represent managers who have a grievance that cannot be resolved, lots of managers out there are taking all this flak, and feel they cannot say anything in retaliation, stand up for yourself, if you are given an impossible task or burden then explain why you cannot comply in a straightforward manner, if you feel you are being bullied or cannot get any satisfaction then put in a grievance, which has to be heard properly and the brewery will have to use the fund to help you,i would urge all managers to keep any letters they are sent, keep a diary of meetings(what was said, by whom and there reply or action) all of this will stand up in court as evidence in an unfair dismissal case. the system does work because i implemented it and i am hear to tell the tale, as the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat, and while you as a manager only have your own details to record, humphrey has to remember everything, or will he bring out a grubby piece of paper in court that he usually writes his messages on, come on stand up and be counted, but do it the right way THE END IS NIGH

Offline moggy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12 - 2009 »
HI MIKE NICE TO SEE YOU ON-LINE IM SURE LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE REASSURED WHEN THEY SEE YOU POST A MESSAGE THERE IS A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY OUT THERE AT THE MOMENT, NOW WITH THE NEWS THAT CHRISTINE AND ALAN HAVE BEEN SACKED FROM SINCLAIRS PEOPLE ARE GETTING WORRIED AGAIN ABOUT THERE JOBS, IM SURE CHRISTINE AND ALAN WILL HAVE THERE DAY WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT, HOW CAN HE GET AWAY WITH THESE INSTANT DISMISSALS

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12 - 2009 »
Could you please confirm one thing for me, i i were to join the union and got made redundant unfairly would you represent me in court or would i have to stump up for my own solicitor to fight my case, is it worth joining, financially anyway at least?

Any person that joins our Union is covered from the date of signing, on anything to do with employment. Whether that be at Tribunal, accident claims or benifit claims.There are no costs to the member, in fact we pay transport & subsistance allowances for them to attend meetings with solicitors or consultants. Not bad for a a cuople of pints a week. ?2.50

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12 - 2009 »
HI MIKE NICE TO SEE YOU ON-LINE IM SURE LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE REASSURED WHEN THEY SEE YOU POST A MESSAGE THERE IS A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY OUT THERE AT THE MOMENT, NOW WITH THE NEWS THAT CHRISTINE AND ALAN HAVE BEEN SACKED FROM SINCLAIRS PEOPLE ARE GETTING WORRIED AGAIN ABOUT THERE JOBS, IM SURE CHRISTINE AND ALAN WILL HAVE THERE DAY WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT, HOW CAN HE GET AWAY WITH THESE INSTANT DISMISSALS

You are correct on your other entry as to a free solicitor and following procedure, but you are the first one that I have heard of who has been succesful in an appeal
Given you have given the above names out, they had a solicitor, who ended up having to walk out after a couple of hours, as there was no sense or reason coming from Huph, when logical & legal points were put to him. One wonders how he can continue as a Director when he is totaly failing in his duty of care for his employees ?
Mike