Author Topic: G M B Trade Union  (Read 44160 times)  Share 

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: G M B Trade Union
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13 - 2009 »
Hi Mike,

I understand that there are five Tribunal cases coming upin Sheffield on 4th - 5th March, and a number of other applicants have been "joined" to this first batch of hearings. Are you involved in this, or can you give any further anonymous details?
A pint before the trouble starts.....

Offline Mike D Williamson

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15 - 2009 »
Hi Mike,

I understand that there are five Tribunal cases coming upin Sheffield on 4th - 5th March, and a number of other applicants have been "joined" to this first batch of hearings. Are you involved in this, or can you give any further anonymous details?
I'm not involed with these & would like some info.
Mike

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15 - 2009 »
Has anyone got pictures of the Smiths?
Mike

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16 - 2009 »
Hi Mike,

I'm not involed with these & would like some info.
Mike
Mike,

The union representing the claimants is Unite, and the solicitors are Morrish & Co in Leeds - sorry, but without betraying the confidentiality of my ex pub manager and his wife (who are the ones who were unfairly dismissed some five months ago), that's as much info as I can give - at this stage. Hope it helps!

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17 - 2009 »
Thanks
For that
Mike

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26 - 2009 »
There's an excellent article on page 10 of this week's Morning Advertiser about the up and coming Tribunal cases at Sheffield on 4th - 5th March.
Admin - can you download or create a link? :)

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26 - 2009 »
There's an excellent article on page 10 of this week's Morning Advertiser about the up and coming Tribunal cases at Sheffield on 4th - 5th March.
Admin - can you download or create a link? :)

Well spotted!  :) I have posted a copy at this site here
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline moggy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26 - 2009 »
now this is more like it, information at last, just noticed there is a guest called Oliver on-line, if you are a new member welcome, if you are the brother of, you know who, isnt it about time you had a meeting and asked your brother what he is up to, bringing this proud great company that you inherited, to be the laughing stock of the licensed industry, i can see all those other independents rubbing there hands together, waiting to see the outcome of these court cases.
Departing from that, have any members seen the recent masterchef series on tv,where the finalists had to cook for the chairman of British Industry, in a private club, one of the 8 guests was Geoffrey Neame from that other great brewery Sheperd & Neame, what a well turned out, articulate man, now could you imagine the chairman of SS being asked to a prestigious dinner like that, not on your nellie, why because for all there money, private education and family pedigree there really is something quiet odd about them isnt there.

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27 - 2009 »
What a shame that Humphrey inherited the wealth, but not the brains!

And he'll need a lot of his wealth when the precedent is set at the Tribunal next week, and he has a queue of 30+ claimants to pay for only a starter. I hope he's ordered a few new cheque books from the bank....

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27 - 2009 »
What a shame that Humphrey inherited the wealth, but not the brains!

And he'll need a lot of his wealth when the precedent is set at the Tribunal next week, and he has a queue of 30+ claimants to pay for only a starter. I hope he's ordered a few new cheque books from the bank....

NOT FROM RBS I HOPE ;D

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 4 - 2009 »
Today's the day! Good luck Frank and Pam - fingers crossed.....

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #26 on: Mar 4 - 2009 »
Any news on how it went on the first day yet anyone?
Beware the toes you tread on today are not attached to the leg that supports the arse that you are gonna have to kiss tomorrow.

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 5 - 2009 »
My mole tells me it was very promising - watch this space....

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 5 - 2009 »
Any news on how it went on the first day yet anyone?

See Morning advertiser web site :-*

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
« Reply #29 on: Mar 5 - 2009 »
Content of Morning Advertiser..

Sam Smith's: bank forced us to cut staff
05/03/2009 12:36

By Tony Halstead

Family brewer Sam Smith?s says it was forced to introduce a swingeing round of cuts to pub staff hours to reduce costs following financial pressure from its bank, an employment tribunal heard yesterday.

Brewery director Humphrey Smith said the company had been struggling to meet its bank covenants and was having difficulty renewing its overdraft when the reduction in staff hours was made last year.

The brewery, based in Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, is being sued for unfair dismissal by 18 former managers at nine different pubs who were sacked for refusing to implement the cuts.

The managers were told to reduce hours in a major cost-cutting exercise mounted by the brewery early in 2008 across its national managed pub estate.

Smith told the Sheffield tribunal: ?We were under great pressure from the bank.

?We were having great difficulty renewing our overdraft and this commercial pressure was something we could not avoid,? he said.

He told the hearing all managers had been told to cut staff hours down to 45 per week which he considered reasonable enough.

?We thought 45 hours was perfectly reasonable but they (the managers) refused to compromise,? he added.

He told the tribunal that he had studied the cost structure of other pub chains and considered his own pubs could run efficiently on the same staff working hours system.

Former managers at the company?s Holly Bush pub at Edenthorpe, Doncaster, Frank and Pam Marshall, are leading the action against the company in a test case hearing.

Smith said that at the start of 2008 profits were down 33% at the pub and staff wages accounted for 14% of the business net ?take?.

?This was unsustainable and put the future of the Holly Bush in jeapourdy,? he said.

He said the brewery had held its beer prices since 1990, mainly by increasing its productivity as the price of beer was crucial to the success of its pubs.

He considered cheap prices gave his pubs a good opportunity to maintain their trade.

?We want this business to be around in 200 years time so we want to hold up our barrelage and maintain employment within the brewery,? he explained.

Smith said he wanted his managers to increase their own productivity in difficult trading times but said many shunned new practices and adopted an ?I?m All Right Jack? attitude.

The hearing continues.

Source: Morning Advertiser
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.