Author Topic: "Pubs Galore" - Believe it or Not  (Read 1680 times)  Share 

Offline Taddified

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
"Pubs Galore" - Believe it or Not
« on: Nov 10 - 2014 »
According to the Pubs Galore website "The Bird In Hand" (known locally as "The Top Bird") at 113 Huddersfield Rd - Newhey - Rochdale, is boarded up and closed. Over the past month I have sent them 3 notifications that this pub is very much open but they have not had the courtesy to reply. Prior to this experience I used to believe that Pubs Galore was a credible site but now I have my doubts.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Re: "Pubs Galore" - Believe it or Not
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10 - 2014 »
Hi there,

Thanks for the information.  Is the other Samuel Smith's pub with a similar name on the same street still open?

I always found it amusing that the same Brewery would have two pubs in the same town on the same street with such similar names.  Are there any other examples of this?

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10 - 2014 »

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +32/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11 - 2014 »
According to locals,tradition has it that there were two brothers who didn't see eye to eye with each other so in a bid to out do each other they both opened pubs close together known locally as top and bottom bird,found a reference to this on an old forum somewhere,will post it if I can find it.

Offline Taddified

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11 - 2014 »
DarkieBoy asks if there are two pubs locally with similar names. Yes there are two Samuel Smith pubs on Huddersfield Rd, Newhey, which are known in the village as "Top Bird" and "Bottom Bird" but neither has been closed up. So  the information being posted on The Pubs Galore website is totally incorrect. Yesterday evening I sent another request to Pubs Galore to rectify the situation but I am not holding my breath.