Author Topic: Pointless Criticism  (Read 3206 times)  Share 

Offline auntpeg

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Staff Member
Pointless Criticism
« on: Nov 5 - 2011 »
As a long term member of Sam's staff , i can understand a lot of the grievances that people have with the brewery and Humphrey in particular , but there is one thing everyone needs to understand , and that is that Mr Smith is his own man and does things his way , in fact a suitable mantra for him would be , My way or the high way . Anyone who doesn't like it can always work or drink elsewhere . Humphrey really doesn't care what anyone thinks or what the consequences of his actions are , as long as he gets his own way . He has a vision of what he would like his pubs to be and is doing what he thinks is the best way to achieve this . Don't get me wrong i am not advocating his methods but belly aching about them is futile .

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Pointless Criticism
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5 - 2011 »
And that's it in a nutshell.

Welcome auntpeg.
« Last Edit: Nov 5 - 2011 by ian »

Offline Stand-Offish

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 6 - 2011 »
Humph is the boss simple as.
It's his business and within the law he can run it as he likes.
His ales are spot on and cheaper than Wetherspoon.
I would love him to embrace and adapt to what some modern chains are doing, Marstons spring to mind. Some of their pubs are a joy to visit with their great food and real ales well kept.
But he's a traditionalist preferring his pubs free of flashing lights and sonic booms.
That's his choice not mine.
To accuse him of being mentally ill is quite frankly unsubstantiated nastiness.
I wish him well and I wish he would realise that his greatest asset is his workforce. He should value them more and trust them and empower them to sort the food out to their own liking and to manage their own pubs.
He could increase his turnover by 40% if he was brave enough and put music and TVs back in and gave the managers control over what meals were served.
« Last Edit: Nov 6 - 2011 by Stand-Offish »

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 6 - 2011 »
Welcome to the forum auntpeg

As has already been said on here many times before, it's Humphrey business and within the law and constraints of his pockets. He can do what he likes and if us the customers or staff don't like it they can simply go elsewhere or leave. It doesn't bother Humphrey one bit whether theres a telly or jukebox in. I do think though that the biggest mistake was the food franchises that the pubs had in the past, he must have lost a fortune. As well as annoying many of the managers, some were making quite a bit of extra holiday money from it. But the food was very good in many of the pubs only a few years ago. As many of us on here know, it's not just pubs that operate under the SSOB umbrella of companies and activities  :P
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10 - 2011 »
I still cant understand why people join his firm when he has such a bad reputation, surely the word has gone around by now, it's not as though he is the only brewery owner.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12 - 2011 »
I still cant understand why people join his firm when he has such a bad reputation, surely the word has gone around by now, it's not as though he is the only brewery owner.

Unfortunately some managers don't use the internet and this site before applying for a job with SSOB. I know a few that do use the internet and jsut say that it can't be as bad as that. Others now understand about the short term contracts that they get nowadays and what Humphrey's policies are. Wish anyone who joins the firm good luck if they can last over a year.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB