Author Topic: The White Horse Inn (Nellie's) - Location: Beverley  (Read 43550 times)  Share 

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Name: The White Horse Inn (Nellie's) - Location: Beverley

Address: 22 Hengate, Beverley, East Yorkshire, HU17 8BL [01482 861973]

« Last Edit: Mar 7 - 2008 by Admin »
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
if the scaffolding in the beer garden stays there much longer, then they will probably give it grade2 listing!

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Fantastic gas lights, but spend a full shift in there, and yer can't arf taste the fumes when you leave! (So much for natural gas). All the same, ain't it good, eh! Hurrah!
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.   Imperial-->:DKB <-- Stout!

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile

if the scaffolding in the beer garden stays there much longer, then they will probably give it grade2 listing!

I was in Nellie's two weeks ago and there is a lot of work going on. and with  more scaffolding going up.

The new manages do seem to be making a go off it, and the beer is first class.

ian.

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile

I was in Nellie's two weeks ago and there is a lot of work going on. and with  more scaffolding going up.

The new manages do seem to be making a go off it, and the beer is first class.

ian.

Unfortunately, the beer isn't very consistent, but I put that down to an inadequate glass washer - and a general lack of experience.

The scaffolding at the back has been there for more that a year (some ones making some good rental), the recent scaffolding is to do with what looks like chimney maintenance - but I'm sure it was only done about 3 years ago!

New managers making a go of it!? Definitely not! The manageress seems to be, but 'he' seems to have lost all interest. Lots of 'f'ing in front of customers, wearing football kit (complete), sleeves rolled up displaying all tattoo's whilst serving from behind the bar (despite a warning about dress code from Humphs).

Many dodgy people (previously barred) now getting in - and the decent lot now beginning to go elsewhere. Also he can't get customers out fast enough - with the place almost closed up in darkness, doors locked, obstacles to negotiate - before you've finished your last beer within the allocated 20 minutes drink-up time.

I recently saw some elderly people crawling under the car park locked barrier at the end of the evening!! So it looks like they don't give a damn!!!

The was a time when the place was well managed, well respected etc.., now it's going down the pan. I think Humphs wouldn't believe his eyes if he saw what was going on (good time to visit for Humphs would be 11.10pm, or 10.40pm on a Sunday) - before someone complains to the local authority.

Still if Humphs thinks the way forward is to pay peanuts, whilst exploiting the inexperienced, then something's eventually bound to snap!

I hear the pub is calling time at 10.30 this evening - so I won't bother going to Beverley for all of that hassle. I used to go specially just to have a pint or two in Nellies. I'll stick with my local tonight. OK the beer costs more, but it's worth spending the extra. I reckon the Sam Smiths pubs will eventually get the reputation of being 'cheap' (not for inexpensive beer), as new low standards of management become more common knowledge.

It has taken many many years for Sams to establish it's good reputation - and it currently seems that it's only going to take a couple more for one man to destroy it all!!!

« Last Edit: Apr 5 - 2010 by minsterman »
These are sad times :(

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re Nellie's  I can only speak how I find.

I've been in Nellie's four times this year, always across dinnertime. On all times the beer was good. Well it was to me.  Must admit that the landlady does seem to have more get up and go.

Re potwasher.  The repair man was looking at it the last time I was in.

ian.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Stop press,  the scaffold is down, but two rigs up for repairs and painting of the windows.

ian.

Offline moleinahole

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • We're all doomed! :(
    • View Profile
I took my son in for a beer last night around 10.45pm on the way home from training.   

Got a real shock to see all the staff scoffing takeaways from polystyrene cartons - behind the bar!  :o :o

Before we had finished (well before 20 past 11) nearly all the place shut down. When we went back in the bar to return our glasses, I was gob smacked to see lights all out, and chairs all up on tables but for just one with 4 or 5 customers still (enjoying?) their drinks- in the middle of it all.

My son told me today that the peron who served our drinks, had temporerily put his takaway down, didn't wash his hands, and held the glass at the top (where we drink from) whilst filling the glass! Yuk!  ???

That place is now a joke. We wont be dropping in there again. Well not at least until they get a proper management/staff. Worth spending a little more to go elsewhere where you get treated like they appreciate your custom, you can finish your drinks without the hassle, within permitted drink up times, and where they haven't run out of some of the beers!

If other Samuel Smith pubs are going down a similar route - then they are quickly going to get a very bad reputation as a brewery - amusing they haven't already got one!  ::)

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Well done but slightly spineless, concerns should have been voiced at the time and not on here. (Or are you a Sam's plant?).

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
"Spineless"

A little unfair, Blackdog.

ian.

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Ian: Point taken you have a right to take that view but I strongly feel that with livelyhoods on the line the correct approach should have been in person and not across the world wide web. With respect BD.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Sorry Blackdog,

I read it the wrong way.   Yes I do believe myself that he was wrong to post that on here.  Them kind of things are best left off the forum in my opinion.

ian.

Offline moleinahole

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • We're all doomed! :(
    • View Profile
Well done but slightly spineless, concerns should have been voiced at the time and not on here. (Or are you a Sam's plant?).

Thank you BlackDog for your assumptive condemnation. If you knew me, you would know that I am one of the least 'spineless' people you ever could meet! Just for your information, I have contacted the brewery directly to voice my concerns, and I know of at least two other individuals who have done the same regarding the current management of this pub. And it would seem that as usual, the brewery have made no attempt to address the situation.

If Smith, who I understand is also the area manager just visited the place towards the end of the evening, then he could see, and advise / re-train the current management accordingly. This was also suggested to him, but it would seem he is too busy trying to run the whole show on his own.

When H Smith was contacted about a couple who managed there a year or so ago, with praise and complements for their hard work, customer friendliness, and the like - H Smith duly sacked them on the spot! So any concerns raised about a manager, will probably guarantee his longevity of employment with the brewery, as it seems that's how H Smith gets his kicks, by not singing to any customers tune.

He seems to put plenty of investment into the bricks and mortar (just protecting the asset value - as required under company law), but not into the staff and management. The sooner he steps down, or starts delegating to some new experienced area managers the better.

BlackDog, you will probably notice that I do not address any particular blame to any individual (or by name) - and I would have thought that anyone reading my post with the most rudimentary intelligence would ascertain that from what has been described, is most likely down to insufficient training, and the pub closed up early due to insufficient staff time available - all the fault of the brewery, and chiefly H Smith.

As contacting the brewery has had no effect - do you honestly believe that bad management should then be ignored? And if you've ever tried communicating with the current chap there, you would understand that diplomatic communication, is probably not an option, and if not met by simply being barred, as has happened before, would most likely be met with a fist. The pub is seriously becoming more like an 'estate pub', usually found in more deprived parts of our community.

I don't care that much for myself, I'll just drink elsewhere. But I feel sorry for some of the older regular folk, who all seem to look very uncomfortable.

And I might add that the insinuation of me being some kind of brewery 'plant', just for adding my observations and concerns (which do not favour the brewery) is grossly unkind.  :-[

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
the eating a takeaway eating behind the bar, was on the night when the management were in manchester having some training on how to rob get 5% less content on a beer. and i dont think anyone at the brewery has probably told them about not eating behind the bar etc

i must admit that the takeaways smelt lovely, and i'm jealous that we can't bring them in  :P

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
It sounds a bit like, "while the cats away the mice will play" to me.

ian.