Author Topic: The White Horse Inn (Nellie's) - Location: Beverley  (Read 40180 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Have one for me  :P
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
are those bottles ornaments???

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
are those bottles ornaments???

They are used to house candles.

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
I was passed here today on my way to Taddy to visit the Falcon. The bus pull up near by and I took this photo from the top deck.  By the looks of it the metal gutter brackets have bent with the snow.  I cannot post this photo on Geograph as the quality is not good enough, so it for member only.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
I notice the bloke walking on the road...was there not space under the scaffolding?  Is this another incident of Samuel Smith's breaching safety regulations, as no means of walking past safely?

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
To be fair there is no room down there, so nothing anybody can do. 

ian.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
Alot of repairs and minor alterations seem to be taking recently, considering they have no money. :P
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
Anyone know whether a new management couple have taken over here, as i heard that a new couple on the training course last week were going here. Please confirm, apparently there were 15 couples on the training course last week. Where are this batch going to ?

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
i really cant believe how many people have moved in then out of nellies in the 2 years ive read these forums, is it haunted :)

Offline bothsides

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
Hi all
no its not haunted its just a pub that take 120 + hours a week  from the managers to run it
properly, :o trust me

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
We went in last Friday, 22nd April, nice young lady serving. Overheard a customer talking to another lady collecting glasses, didn't quite catch all but she seemed to indicate that she had been around a bit in the trade, I think she mentioned 20 years or so, but I dont know if it was all with Sams, so, she could be the new landlady.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
Have heard that a new manager or relief manager has taken over the running of this pub. I am losing track of the managers at this particular pub now. Every time i go a different manager is there.Anybody know ?

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
i've been told we've just got yet another relief, for 3 weeks. i think she is from a pub in sheffield, and has brought with her a couple of staff. she seems pleasant enough.

problem is, all we've had for a long time (since and before the scottish couple) are relief's. it used to be a good pub at one time. all that remains is a passable pub (as long as its not too busy to get served; too busy being about 10% of what it used to be) now it's just a good building

surely the same caper isn't going on at other sams pubs?

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
delboy is it true that all the fireplace's have been done up?

Been told that I'm popping in on Saturday afternoon after we visit the Ship Inn, Dunswell.

ian.

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
yep thye sure have ian. the range in the scullery is still being sorted and is currently boarded up. they look a little different with stone (yellowish colour) surrounds. cant remember if they were like that but dirty before, but they currently look a bit too new. also the coaching steps outside had the top slab broken, and replace with a very unsympathetic new/modern sandstone(?) slab that doesn't look right. also lower external mortar on brick coursework doesn't match, and looks odd. i'm surprised the local authority let that one pass, they dont usually.

however, all of this must have cost a packet. pity nothing more than pin money is available for staff. if the pub had stable management, with sufficient staff hours, it could easily double its turnover, more than paying for the extra wages, and still be a mere shadow of the place it used to be. but pete who owns corner house across the road, is doing very well out of nellies, especially when theres not enough staff to serve in nellies

also while i remember, im sure the mantle piece below the big antique mirror in the bar was black/wooden, but is also sandstone. so much for respecting a places heritage :)